Soul Strut 100: # 65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited June 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 65 - The Beatnuts - Street Level

The list so far:

# 100 - Jr. and His Soulettes - Psychodelic Sounds
# 99 - Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
# 98 - Donny Hathaway - S/T (1971)
# 97 - Bernard Wright - ???Nard
# 96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze
# 95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer
# 94 - Harlem River Drive
# 93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
# 92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
# 91 - Muddy Waters - Electric Mud
# 90 - Les McCann - Layers
# 89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
# 88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)
# 87 - ESG - S/T (1981)
# 86 - Can - Tago Mago
# 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go
# 84 - WILLIAM DEVAUGHN - Be Thankful For What You Got
# 83 - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus
# 82 - Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
# 81 - The J.B.???s - Doing It to Death
# 80 - Parliament - Osmium
# 79 - McNeal & Niles - Thrust
# 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik
# 77 - Earth, Wind, and Fire (1971)
# 76 - Dr. Dre - The Chronic
# 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)
# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)
# 73 - Bob James - One
# 72 - Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces
# 71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau
# 70 - Big Bear - Doin??? Thangs
# 69 - Steely Dan - Aja
# 68 - Quasimoto - The Unseen
# 67 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live! (1971)
# 66 - Al Green - Im still in love with you

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

he Beatnuts: Street Level is the full-length debut album by hip hop trio The Beatnuts. It was released on June 21, 1994 by Relativity Records just a year after their debut EP, Intoxicated Demons. "Psycho Dwarf" is the only song found on both the EP and the album. The album is produced by The Beatnuts themselves, as well as V.I.C. and Lucien. It features guest appearances by Grand Puba, Miss Jones and DJ Sinister amongst others. Street Level boasts two singles, "Props Over Here" and "Hit Me with That," neither of which charted. The album is known for its diverse production and hedonistic lyrics. Its cover art is inspired by the cover of Hank Mobley's The Turnaround.[1]

The Beatnuts: Street Level is the last Beatnuts album before emcee Fashion left the group to pursue a solo career under the alias Al' Tariq.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatnuts:_Street_Level

Related Threads

Beatnut Appreciation Thread
beatnuts appreciation (re-run???im sure)
RANK THE ALBUMS OF THE HIP HOP HEAVYWEIGHTS

Media

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Great addition to the list. I used to have that on repeat for a long time when it dropped. Favorite tracks were "Props Over Here", "Rik's Joint", "Yeah You Get Props" and most memorable "Lick The Pussy". It really got me hooked on that Tyrone Davis loop. That hidden burp in the runout groove had me boggle more than once because they cut a good amount of dead air before that. You already forget the records still running an suddenly "Burp!"...good one.

Just gave this a listen and must say the original pressing sounds like shit. Have to go after one of the later double vinyl represses.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    So many good songs on this album, including these...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    So happy to see this on the list...what a great record. The 'Nuts established such an incredible sound--kinda Large Professor-ish, but with a harder, darker edge to it. And Psycho Les is probably the funniest MC of all time.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    This album was the anthem the summer it dropped. Black Moon and Street Level were on heavy rotation as my friend and I played UN Squadron on the SNES all day.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I love the Beatnuts. Their EP is my favorite, but this is a close second.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Maaaaan, I love this record. When it came out, I listened to it in its entirety every day for months and months on end.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    CousinLarry said:

Yeah, the EP is perfection. Love this album too, but the EP is solid.

Always laugh when Puba says "oops. Didn't mean to call you ho, bitch."

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I've listened to this album probably more times than any other rap album inmy collection. Absolute classic!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    So happy to see this on the list...what a great record. The 'Nuts established such an incredible sound--kinda Large Professor-ish, but with a harder, darker edge to it. And Psycho Les is probably the funniest MC of all time.

I have to add, having LPs/45s of the original songs they sampled makes me further appreciate their sick sampling game. Les and Juju listened to the whole songs on LPs, that's word!!! "Street Level" is a great LP and addition to the Soul Strut 100.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Shall I be the first to point out that this album is not actually called 'Street Level'?

• Controller_7 said:
    CousinLarry said:

Yeah, the EP is perfection. Love this album too, but the EP is solid.

Always laugh when Puba says "oops. Didn't mean to call you ho, bitch."

The EP is my favorite too, but glad to see this entry.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    And I still don't know what the original to Stone Crazy is.

S/T (Street Level) is My favorite album of all time in hip hop. I Owe so much to these dudes.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    CousinLarry said:

This!

Love 'Stone crazy' too.

:hard_as_fuck:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    DJ_Enki said:

I have to add, having LPs/45s of the original songs they sampled makes me further appreciate their sick sampling game. Les and Juju listened to the whole songs on LPs, that's word!!! "Street Level" is a great LP and addition to the Soul Strut 100.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

For real! It's crazy how many times you can throw a record on, and then 3/4 of the way through some long-ass song, a Beatnuts loop jumps out at you. Those dudes listened to albums front to back and always knew which parts to grab. Just amazing stuff.

• Dolo76Dolo76 64 Posts
    Let Off A Couple

whole album is amazing, the soundtrack to my last few years of highschool, shit was perfect