Soul Strut 100: # 66 - Al Green - Im still in love with you

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited November 2017 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 66 - Al Green - Im still in love with you

The list so far:

# 100 - Jr. and His Soulettes - Psychodelic Sounds
# 99 - Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul
# 98 - Donny Hathaway - S/T (1971)
# 97 - Bernard Wright - ???Nard
# 96 - Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze
# 95 - People Under the Stairs - Question in the Form of an Answer
# 94 - Harlem River Drive
# 93 - Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
# 92 - Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
# 91 - Muddy Waters - Electric Mud
# 90 - Les McCann - Layers
# 89 - Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
# 88 - Leroy Hutson - Hutson (1975)
# 87 - ESG - S/T (1981)
# 86 - Can - Tago Mago
# 85 - Bohannon - Stop & Go
# 84 - WILLIAM DEVAUGHN - Be Thankful For What You Got
# 83 - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According to Zeus
# 82 - Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
# 81 - The J.B.???s - Doing It to Death
# 80 - Parliament - Osmium
# 79 - McNeal & Niles - Thrust
# 78 - The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik
# 77 - Earth, Wind, and Fire (1971)
# 76 - Dr. Dre - The Chronic
# 75 - Black Sabbath (1970)
# 74 - Trap Door / An International Psychedelic Mystery Mix (2006)
# 73 - Bob James - One
# 72 - Matthew Larkin Cassell - Pieces
# 71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau
# 70 - Big Bear - Doin??? Thangs
# 69 - Steely Dan - Aja
# 68 - Quasimoto - The Unseen
# 67 - Curtis Mayfield - Curtis/Live! (1971)

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

I'm Still in Love with You is the fifth studio album by the American gospel and soul singer Al Green, released on October 23, 1972, on Hi Records. Recording sessions took place during 1972. The album was produced solely by Willie Mitchell. The album peaked at number four on the US Billboard 200 and number one on the US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and produced four singles: "Love and Happiness" which was rated ninety-eight on Rolling Stones's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time as well as "I'm Still in Love with You" and "Look What You Done for Me" which were top five hits on the US Pop Chart. In 2003, the album was ranked number 285 on the 500 greatest albums of all time by Rolling Stone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Still_in_Love_with_You_(Al_Green_album)

Related Threads

Al Green Bitchezz!!! Appreciate!
WICKER CHAIR BALLIN???
Al Green - gets next to you
MOJO Top 70 SOUL albums

Media

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    One of the greatest albums ever recorded. Willie Mitchell for the win.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Back to front listen, but you already know that. I fool with the drums sometimes and out of the canon of oft-sampled breaks, that rimshot intro is one of the few I have been able to play with the most confidence.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Proof that Willie Mitchell had the best ears in all of music. The sound he gave Grimes changed music (all genres). That foot-in-the-chest, 4-on-the-floor rhythm has yet to be improved upon.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    This is THE LP that started it all for me. There was the cover, the Hi musicians,Willie Mitchell sound,THE break and the obvious late night spark one or set the mood factor but it???s more than that. First of all this record is an end to end burner that stays cohesive while every track is unique in it???s own right. Al???s vocals are silky smooth, HUGE range but it???s all about the emotions you feel in every note, humm and growl.
    Perfect record???desert island material and one of the best ??????gateway?????? LPs.
    Should be significantly higher.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Shit never gets stale.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This album caught Al at just the right time. After he'd stopped being a southern-soul shouter, but just before his smooth-soul schtick started to get old.

Al's next LP was Call Me. That one wasn't bad, but it did sound like I'm Still In Love With You, Part Two.

But this album that we're discussing captures the formula while it was still fresh out of the can.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    batmon said:
    Shit never gets stale.

this album has influenced my wardrobe, home decor and life choices at various times. i had reverend green himself sign the copy i inherited from my father at a book signing in 1998 when he was promoting his book at the time.

so strong. Look What You've Done For me, my favorite and IMO the slept on track of the album

AKallDay said:
    Look What You've Done For me, my favorite and IMO the slept on track of the album

This was one of the hit singles from the album, although you never hear it today.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    Look What You've Done For me, my favorite and IMO the slept on track of the album

YES

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    AKallDay said:

This was one of the hit singles from the album, although you never hear it today.

good to know that it was a hit in it's time. i love it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm gonna listen to this on my way back from work today....

Undeniable classic.

Anybody ride harder (pause) for his other albums?

yuichi said:
    I'm gonna listen to this on my way back from work today....

Undeniable classic.

Anybody ride harder (pause) for his other albums?

Here's what I said on Soul Strut on 12/2/05:
    My fave Al Green LP's are a three-album arc: Al Green Gets Next To You, Let's Stay Together, and I'm Still In Love With You, all released in that order between 1971-72. Listen to them in the order they came out, and you can hear how a semi-blues shouter mutated into a soft-soul crooner.

The Belle Album is another Al Green essential.

Double

Gets Next to You might be my fave...really eccentric LP. Add to the musical eccentricy the great cover: crazy ass coat he is wearing, looking high as a motherfucker adding to the package. While those might be silly reasons, when added to amazing music it creates an artifact of sorts.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Those drums are so recognizable with the rim shot, but the addition of the one tom hit is something magical in its simplicity. So minor but so effective.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

• leonleon 883 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    HarveyCanal said:

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Double

I pretty much still pick up any copy I see on the cheap.

P.S. this top 100 is great!

• pcmr said:
    This is THE LP that started it all for me. There was the cover, the Hi musicians,Willie Mitchell sound,THE break and the obvious late night spark one or set the mood factor but it???s more than that. First of all this record is an end to end burner that stays cohesive while every track is unique in it???s own right. Al???s vocals are silky smooth, HUGE range but it???s all about the emotions you feel in every note, humm and growl.
    Perfect record???desert island material and one of the best ??????gateway?????? LPs.
    Should be significantly higher.

Agreed on all counts!

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Just wanna say that the whole SS #100 countdown has been brilliant so far, just for the fact that I've been reminded that I haven't listened to many of the classics in quite a while, and it's time to do some revisits.

So I'm sitting on my front porch with Al Green on the portable right now as I type this, and things are quite lovely.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    First time I bought this record at a flea market and put on "Love and Happiness" i was like "gawdamn".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    If I had to keep just one Al Green record, would be this or Belle. Yeah I said that.

BallzDeep said:
    If I had to keep just one Al Green record, would be this or Belle. Yeah I said that.

That's not so controversial. Those are two of my faves, too.

BallzDeep said:

That's not so controversial. Those are two of my faves, too.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Oh shit, we agree on something!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Essential. An album you can't hate on.

BallzDeep said:
    Oh shit, we agree on something!

Well, I did namecheck those records on Page One of this thread. No sense in turning back now. ;-)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Cofuckingsign

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    This is a brilliant record, but I have a weird relationship with it. The owner of my old corner bar (which was actually just around the corner) in philly loved Al Green and it was pretty much the only thing he played. I remember walking in the first time and thinking, "Al Green, awesome!" After walking into that place well over 100 times it got a little played out. I have the same relationship with Sade from a restaurant I worked at one summer that played her CD every night. As great as it is I don't never put it on at home.