Do You Buy Records That Smell Bad?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
I bet you do.

I bet over 1/3 of your collection just isn't right.

No matter how much you try to deny it and mask it on the sly.

Yep, your record collection stinks.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Mine smells minty fresh

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    most of mine smells bad and i love it, its tough to get out that "Salvation Army used" smell...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    What the fuck kind of question is this?

My copy of Roberta Flack Featuring Donny Hathaway smells like the underside of David Crosby's poncho. Double-bag that shit with the record outside of the cover and keep it moving. I have some Santeria record that the clerk at a Salvation Army in Savannah graciously hit with some Binaca at the time of my purchase. It's nothing.

Conversely, I have a Loft box set that smells exactly like the time I was stuck in an elevator with Toni Morrison. It's magnificent. Whenever I crack it open, I drift away like one of those General Foods International Coffees commercials.

I used to know a guy named Ryan who had a Jimmy Buffett record that smelled just like cocaine.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    All the time. The skunkier the funkier.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Smell Of Death ARC Dealer Related?

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    one month ago at a record fair:

My wife: " those records smell piss, aren't they?"

She was right and fortunately most of the records that seller had was not very interesting

but this lead me to this question:

would you buy a raer smelling piss (human or animal )? I still can't make my point on this.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Skunky weed, yes. Skunky records, no. Can't do it myself.

Just wondering how far anyone has gone down the path of justifying mold on their shelf, just because their white whale might never be found clean...and realized it later.

For those of you still in denial, you of course don't realize yet that your record room smells like the snake house at the Audubon Zoo, nutria pond and all. But someone you know is fully aware and likely too kind to break it to you.

Also, some of you have sleeves with jizz on em. Guaranteed.

HarveyCanal said:
    Also, some of you have sleeves with jizz on em. Guaranteed.
    Hey, the economy is ugly right now, and Loft box sets aren't free, you know? Don't you judge me.

Oh--you meant record sleeves.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I find it amazing that copys of the Ben Atkins LP "Patchouli" on enterprise, which was scented patchouli in what might be the only smell gimmick used for an LP's packaging...STILL smell after 40-odd years. I always take a whiff when I come across a copy in the field. Never found one that doesn't smell like a head-shop.

The_Hook_Up said:
    might be the only smell gimmick used for an LP's packaging
    I don't know whether pickwick is awake yet, so I'll point out that there's that Sylvester record on Blue Thumb with the scratch-and-sniff flower on it.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    james said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I don't know whether pickwick is awake yet, so I'll point out that there's that Sylvester record on Blue Thumb with the scratch-and-sniff flower on it.

And these:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Pickwick has been awake since 8 AM, but is just now reading this thread.

There is a copy of the Raspberries album in the stacks at a local college station with the sticker.

There is a copy of the Ben Atkins LP that has been sitting there, cobwebbed and unsold, at a local used record store for quite a while now.

BOTH STILL SMELL AFTER FORTY-ODD YEARS.

Although it should be mentioned that the gatefold of the Atkins LP has a photo of the artist in an outhouse, pants down around his ankles, taking a shit. Be thankful the LP didn't smell like that.

Horseleech said:
    james said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

And these:

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I will buy them, but I have no problem tossing the nasty cover and putting them in a white sleeve after a good cleaning. I once had mold spread through a shelf and thankfully caught it before it got too bad. Never again. This pretty much only happens the few times I stumble on some cheap rare and want the music that bad. Otherwise I can hold out for nicer copy.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    It's been scientifically proven that all mold spread in LP covers is caused by Les McCann/Eddie Harris "Swiss Movement"

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    'Acetate' for men. eau de vinyls

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    I miss teh 90s goldn age, plaese 2 school on wut it was like then?!? I relegate to bye what can get hand on now, just having nasty mildew-strut an moldy fecal-hops vynils lps good enuff here : )