DJs Who Keep Their Tracklists A Secret

13»

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I didn't get the memo. Oops.

http://solidfunknc.livejournal.com/

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    for the record, I have never kept the identity of a song secret if someone has asked about it...I too relish showing the person the cover/label whatever disclosing where I got it..."what is that", "Grupa ABC"..."where did you get it?" "Street fair in Krakow"...

I find that secret holders, who do it intentionally, not becasue they are too lazy to type it up and share it (like me) tend to be jerks. If someone asks, tell them.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I was getting shazzamed by some chick the other nite, she came up to me after the song ended to ask what I just played because it couldn't be shazzamed. It was Lee Field's "Honey Dove", which I thought would be totally recognizable by that software.

• personally i disagree with the whole "keep the song a secret" BS. i'll share whatever track i'm playing with anyone, and being a fan of music with unfortunately an unquenchable thirst for new and unheard things, when i do hear something i like - i wanna know what it is so i can hear it again.

basically i look at liek this: if a DJ's self worth is comprised entirely of only his song selection, it analogously turns you into an expensive Juke Box.

Someone who knows any song i play will still not be able to plan out a set in the same fashion my ear/mind would nor blend/cut/whatthefuckever in and out of it the same way i do. A DJ's value, to me at least, is more about the emotional impact of the set as a whole. A sort of - the sum greater than the parts idea - parts being songs themselves, the sum being the entire emotional experience of the set.

just my .02 cents.

i do get the whole "i spent x amount of time looking for this shit and you wanna come up and ask and learn about it in seconds" - yah ,that kinda sucks that youre "work" can get swept under the rug in a moment simply by saying a song title to someone. But at the end of the day, as a DJ i dont care because someone wont be able to utilize the song in the way i can, and i have confidence in that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Everyone is focussing on live DJing. The OP seems to be about tracklists, which is a different scenario.

Is that 7 Steps mix no good because there's no tracklist?
    Isn't that thread more interesting because you've got people trying to figure out which records were used?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I remember being flamed for uploading a song to youtube by one guy in the comments section. He claimed how hard it was for him to find the original song and how "all people who have it, never pass it to anybody else". It was the most pathetic bullshit I heard from a record collector in a long time. Like there was some secret record illuminati circle dictating the rules about sharing. Funny enough not long after that you could even buy that track on itunes.

I usually never hesitate to give away information if someone asks me while I'm DJing. Most of my mixes are tracklisted too. Only in rare cases when I figure there are some semi-secret gems hidden inside, I refuse to deliver.
    I remember when I found that "Bonner Beat Bands" 45 I was a little restrictive sharing it because I already planned to re-release it and get in contact with bandmembers. In these cases, when you even consider finding unreleased material, I can fully understand if people try to prevent others from being there first.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Burns said:
    I was getting shazzamed by some chick the other nite, she came up to me after the song ended to ask what I just played because it couldn't be shazzamed. It was Lee Field's "Honey Dove", which I thought would be totally recognizable by that software.

Me too... and nothing came up... so the girl had to give me her number to find out... and then we shazamed last night!

:the_mack:

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    basically i look at liek this: if a DJ's self worth is comprised entirely of only his song selection, it analogously turns you into an expensive Juke Box.

Someone who knows any song i play will still not be able to plan out a set in the same fashion my ear/mind would nor blend/cut/whatthefuckever in and out of it the same way i do. A DJ's value, to me at least, is more about the emotional impact of the set as a whole. A sort of - the sum greater than the parts idea - parts being songs themselves, the sum being the entire emotional experience of the set.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    FortyFivan said:

Me too... and nothing came up... so the girl had to give me her number to find out... and then we shazamed last night!
    :the_mack:

Lol! Super pimp!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I typically don't like requests nor questions about what I'm playing unless they come with a monetary tip, a free drink, or a flirtation from a hot woman.

I'll post my whole playlist to facebook the day or so after a gig, so it's not about being secretive. It's just that I'm busy up here and don't really have time to be talking to the crowd on their terms.

Dance and enjoy the music at the party. Trainspot on your own time.