If mozart and Einstein had been born in the Amazon

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
Would they still be geniuses? No pianos and no physics, they would just be hunting and fishing like everybody else. They might still be geniuses, but nobody would know. They wouldn't even know. I wonder this becuase I wonder if I might be a genius, but maybe I'm a genius at something I never tried, and so how would I know?

Just little mozart, walking around the jungle, chasing pirrhanas and whatnot. And there are no musical instruments, except maybe a drum. And so he can't become Genius Mozart, he's just another fella in a loincloth.

Or Glenn Gould, gifted at the piano. But suppose he was born before the piano was invented. Now he's gifted at something that hasn't even been invented yet. Is he still gifted? Or is he just sitting there, like "Hmmmm, something's missing."

Little Steven Hawking, born in the Congo. Likes looking at stars, the rest of the tribe thinks he's lazy, because he's just daydreaming all the time, looking at stars, instead of doing real work. Little does anybody know.

The mind boggles.

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Gary said:

Little Steven Hawking, born in the Congo. Likes looking at stars, the rest of the tribe murders him because his robotic voice and magic chair are clear indications that he carries the devil.

Fixed.

• Controller_7 said:
    Gary said:

Little Steven Hawking, born in the Congo. Likes looking at stars, the rest of the tribe murders him because his robotic voice and magic chair are clear indications that he carries the devil.

Fixed.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The world has always had a mad scientist dude with global renown, a go-to icon for 'cleverest man alive' status.

Who's gonna take the weight when the Hawkingmobile goes to the scrapyard?

Not seeing the next dude to take over that Galileo, Newton, Einstein lineage.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I bet Mozart could of rocked the hell out of a kalimba.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Have you read Guns Germs and Steel?

It pertains to what you're pondering.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    Have you read Guns Germs and Steel?

It pertains to what you're pondering.

Good book. The way it's structured really helps. Been a long time since I read it, might put it back in the queue.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Maybe Amazon Einstein would have invented his own math and writing system from a single spark of inspiration.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I can imagine they could well have left a similar kind of impact and legacy, in a way unique to that community. Maybe it would be something a little simpler or practical, though it would still have the affect of advancing their society in a meaningful way.

To whether or not Gary may or may not himself be a genius, maybe.. I imagine there is some test scientists can give you to find out. But imo the delusion of believing yourself to be an undiscovered genius is of more comfort than knowing for a fact you are wholly ordinary.

-

There's a program on UK tv at the moment where they try and discover and develop peoples hidden talents.

Series Summary Hidden Talent

How far can natural talent really go and what if it could change your life? Hidden Talent discovers people with extraordinary hidden talents they never dreamed they had.

Hundreds of randomly selected people are put through a series of tests to identify those with hidden abilities and nine participants discover if they can go from being a total novice to a top-class performer in record time.

Presenter Richard Bacon follows their progress, uncovering the amazing science that enables these individuals to achieve what others can only dream of.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hidden-talent/episode-guide/series-1

They have, what seem like simplified versions of the tests on the website, but I think they're really just internet time wasters.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If Mozart and Einstein had been born in the Amazon?

The great nations of Europe would have come along and cleansed the continent of any trace of their genius.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    If Mozart and Einstein had been born in the Amazon?

The great nations of Europe would have come along and cleansed the continent of any trace of their genius.
    sealed and shipped

• Gary said:
    Would they still be geniuses?

How could they not be? That would imply that they were taught or learned to be geniuses, which is rediculous because if that was possible we would teach everyone to be geniuses.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Gary said:

How could they not be? That would imply that they were taught or learned to be geniuses, which is rediculous because if that was possible we would teach everyone to be geniuses.

Yeah, but if there are no musical instruments around then what is mozart a genius at? Probably nothing, right? Does that still make him a genius?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Gary said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Gary said:

Yeah, but if there are no musical instruments around then what is mozart a genius at? Probably nothing, right? Does that still make him a genius?

Talent and genius are not nearly as rare as they are often made out to be.

In order to be fully expressed, they need to be combined with other traits, opportunity, and luck.

Of course those people would still be geniuses, they just may not have had the other factors that resulted in the accomplishments that these people produced.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    skel said:
    The world has always had a mad scientist dude with global renown, a go-to icon for 'cleverest man alive' status.

Who's gonna take the weight when the Hawkingmobile goes to the scrapyard?

The Situation from Jersey Shore

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Talent and genius are not nearly as rare as they are often made out to be.

In order to be fully expressed, they need to be combined with other traits, opportunity, and luck.

Of course those people would still be geniuses, they just may not have had the other factors that resulted in the accomplishments that these people produced.

That's it right there.

Everyone is a genius at something. Some of us are lucky enough to discover what it is, and even fewer have the good fortune to get into a situation where they can make use of it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Gary, you are special, just like everyone else.