Adam Yauch: rip

1235»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    could they hang with run and ll rhyming in the office? no. i think were able to write songs tho. true they hadn't completly come into thier own asthetic yet (rick being the reason led zepp/rock breaks was used) but they wrote the bulk of the album. to my knowledge run wrote two songs on a 13 song album.

Their Effect on Hip-Hop: "I think they were blowing people's minds. I was out on tour right before I met them, and when they came along, it was just amazing. I ended up actually writing songs with them, like 'Paul Revere.' And then they took one of our songs 'Slow and Low' ??? we left a tape in the studio and they did it over ??? so I was really kinda involved with them in a little bit of production, along with Rick Rubin. They actually picked up Dr. Dre as a DJ for a while, which was really cool. So they had Dre DJing, and in my mind, they were just so dope on the mic ??? especially Adam Yauch. He had a really incredible style of rhyme, and I was like, 'This dude is amazing.' Just like everybody else that ended up falling in love with them, that's what was happening to me ??? I was like, 'Wow, these white kids could rap.' And Adam Yauch has this special type of rasp in his voice that made him incredible to me, so he stood out as a real vintage type of incredible MC. It was intriguing to see white guys rapping like that, being so cool, plus sticking to their roots, so they were true to themselves."

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:
    could they hang with run and ll rhyming in the office? no. i think were able to write songs tho. true they hadn't completly come into thier own asthetic yet (rick being the reason led zepp/rock breaks was used) but they wrote the bulk of the album. to my knowledge run wrote two songs on a 13 song album.

Their Effect on Hip-Hop: "I think they were blowing people's minds. I was out on tour right before I met them, and when they came along, it was just amazing. I ended up actually writing songs with them, like 'Paul Revere.' And then they took one of our songs 'Slow and Low' ??? we left a tape in the studio and they did it over ??? so I was really kinda involved with them in a little bit of production, along with Rick Rubin. They actually picked up Dr. Dre as a DJ for a while, which was really cool. So they had Dre DJing, and in my mind, they were just so dope on the mic ??? especially Adam Yauch. He had a really incredible style of rhyme, and I was like, 'This dude is amazing.' Just like everybody else that ended up falling in love with them, that's what was happening to me ??? I was like, 'Wow, these white kids could rap.' And Adam Yauch has this special type of rasp in his voice that made him incredible to me, so he stood out as a real vintage type of incredible MC. It was intriguing to see white guys rapping like that, being so cool, plus sticking to their roots, so they were true to themselves."

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    mike d - We were playing around with this 808 drum machine. We had this beat, and Yauch said, "I'd like to hear what it would sound like backwards." Run from Run-D.M.C. was there, and he was like, "Man, this is crazy." But Yauch recorded this beat, bounced it to another tape, flipped it around ??? this is pre-digital sampling ??? and bounced it back to the multi-track tape. The reversed beat basically became "Paul Revere." Yauch saw this thing we couldn't see ??? and he killed it.

so did run make the initial beat? i always thought that was run's beat.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    mannybolone said:

:face_melt:

Gawd DAMN!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    SIRUS said:

This video is mostly unwatchable due to the whistles (what was up with that shit London?), but the footage of Lyor Cohen diving into the crowd to face down the hardrocks and then dancing with LL Cool J is priceless. Funny shit.

Delay, the mix is great.

• nzshadow said:
    mannybolone said:

Gawd DAMN!

nice work!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    mannybolone said:

Gawd DAMN!

For real. This schitt GOES

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i must have missed it the first time around, but this mix is an essential addition to my Beastie Boys' listening experience. mucho thankyous senor Tom!!!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Yes, that Lyor Cohen footage is funy shit.

Delay, that mix is top notch. Really enjoyed it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Thanks a lot fellas. i assure you i had just as much fun making it.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Any way of crashing the download limit on the mix? I want to bounce that shit in my truck.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    Any way of crashing the download limit on the mix? I want to bounce that shit in my truck.
    its back up for dl

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    day said:
    nzshadow said:
    mannybolone said:

Gawd DAMN!

For real. This schitt GOES

:feelin_it:

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Listening now, thanks man.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    z_illa said:
    mannybolone said:

This mix is the best of any tribute I have heard yet. Your mixes are consistently seriously some of the best around. Question: when Jimmy James comes on what is that, did you actually recreate the song from the original samples and if so what are those OG songs?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Deegreez said:
    z_illa said:
    mannybolone said:

This mix is the best of any tribute I have heard yet. Your mixes are consistently seriously some of the best around. Question: when Jimmy James comes on what is that, did you actually recreate the song from the original samples and if so what are those OG songs?
    thanks, duke-o! i only wish people still bought mix cds.

yes. completely recreated using ser-ato loops. drums: the turtles-chief komonawanalaya , melody : curtis knight - happy birthday , cuts: jimi hendrix - foxy lady

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    Deegreez said:
    z_illa said:
    mannybolone said:

thanks, duke-o! i only wish people still bought mix cds.

yes. completely recreated using ser-ato loops. drums: the turtles-chief komonawanalaya , melody : curtis knight - happy birthday , cuts: jimi hendrix - foxy lady

Forgot how incredibly ill Southside Movement's "I've Been Watching You" is.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Doc, the mix is top notch. Thanks

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    great mix. really enjoy it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    great mix. really enjoy it.

Ditto.

• Sooo Goood
    Thanks a ton,

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    LoopDreams said:
    its back up for dl

Thanks Much!