Will.i.am : IDIOT

2»

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    just saw him five minutes ago on PBS Newshour. Talmbout what happened to the people that Star Trek left behind (hologram-R). He's on some board at Intel, dealing with creative something-or-other. I don't think he's an idiot.

Ever since learning of the Stark drums on here, I'm pretty much full-on superfan of the guy.

Waiting with open arms for Fergie and Apple D Ap. Not sure about Ms. WeeWee though.

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    I thought the Stark sample story was cool at first - then I thought Monty's lawyer(s) probably loved it as well.
    c'mon, Will.i.am.is.RICH!
    I'm glad Monty got paid, but just pay the dude what you really owe him, don't make him jump through hoops for it

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    He's on some board at Intel, dealing with creative something-or-other. I don't think he's an idiot.

Hmmm, not sure that his 'Director Of Creative Innovation' role at Intel doesn't involve him doing much more than turning up at news conferences and proclaiming their notebook is 'the new ghetto blaster', ie you can play music on it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Besides: we're talking about Intel here.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2012/may/24/will-i-am-olympic-torch

I guess "Idiot" is appropriate. Still I liked his "Lost Change OST" on BBE a lot.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    skel said:
    Horseleech said:

At least he dropped some knowledge on those Oxford clowns.

How you gonna do Duderonomy like that?

Nah, sounds about right

The University has noise on lock-down during exam season, so I was surprised to hear a loud helicopter doing a low-pass on Monday or Tuesday of this week. Wondered who it could've been... Will.I.Am was not in the reckoning.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    hah!
    "They would not have thought, "Hey, there's Will.I.Am dicking about on his phone while he'd supposed to be doing something important. That's like what I do. He's awesome and so are the Olympics. I'm going to take up gymnastics." They would have just thought, "Err, look at that idiot, concentrating on what he's doing, not even bothering to text or tweet anyone while he does it. What a spod. Balls to the Olympics, that's for boffs and losers. I'm going to sniff glue all through August instead."

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    skel said:
    Horseleech said:

At least he dropped some knowledge on those Oxford clowns.

How you gonna do Duderonomy like that?

Nah, sounds about right

The University has noise on lock-down during exam season, so I was surprised to hear a loud helicopter doing a low-pass on Monday or Tuesday of this week. Wondered who it could've been... Will.I.Am was not in the reckoning.

Hahaha - so In addition to flying to a climate change conference in a big ass chopper, he buzzed the oxford campus during their exam week noise lock-down.
    I must begrudgingly admit my appreciation for these hi-jinks is starting to grow.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    djwaxon said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    This is the same William.I.Am that told STRUT LEGEND Monty Stark that he was going to use an uncleared Stark sample and that if Monty sued Will's label, he (Monty) would get a nicer payout than taking a point on the release. And Monty did so, and it was all good.

Is that true?

Yes.

No, not according to Monty:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/3728/

And the idea that there was some beneficent intentions on the BEPs part is bullshit, imo.

There is a long history of bands telling aggrieved parties to sue their record company (Rolling Stones, Led Zep etc). This is the first time I've heard passed off as some act of heroism.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    While the irony is palpable, this is pretty much par for the course. Wealthy people, whether they preach about sustainability or not, tend to have very high carbon footprints. We all remember the outcry when Gore's energy use was exposed. It's important for high profile activists to set a good example, but the impact of his helicopter ride is so very negligible. Let's focus on the big polluters, not the little things.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    djwaxon said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    This is the same William.I.Am that told STRUT LEGEND Monty Stark that he was going to use an uncleared Stark sample and that if Monty sued Will's label, he (Monty) would get a nicer payout than taking a point on the release. And Monty did so, and it was all good.

Is that true?

Yes.

And the idea that there was some beneficent intentions on the BEPs part is bullshit, imo.

There is a long history of bands telling aggrieved parties to sue their record company (Rolling Stones, Led Zep etc). This is the first time I've heard passed off as some act of heroism.

I was just recalling the bit where Mandrew asked:

monty, was that true that will.i.am purposefully used the unlicensed sample so that the label would be forced to cough up more money? that's diabolically admirable.

and Monty replied:

Yes.

IMHO that reads favourably for Will but of course it could just be some legal f*ckup being passed off as philanthropy.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Horseleech said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    djwaxon said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Is that true?

Yes.

I was just recalling the bit where Mandrew asked:

monty, was that true that will.i.am purposefully used the unlicensed sample so that the label would be forced to cough up more money? that's diabolically admirable.

and Monty replied:

Yes.

IMHO that reads favourably for Will but of course it could just be some legal f*ckup being passed off as philanthropy.

The problem is that the CD had been out for some time before Monty even knew he was sampled on it.

If the BEPs had some sneaky plan to make him rich, wouldn't they have, y'know, mentioned it to him? And why him and not the other musicians they sampled? They didn't even know him.

And why make him sue? Why not just give him writing credit? Or just give him money?

I'm glad it worked out for Monty (who seems like the coolest guy ever to land on these pages), but the philanthropy angle doesn't pass the smell test, imo.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    I didn't remember the details - I thought he'd tipped Monty off that the release was imminent, not that the payout came after the release. Thanks for setting it straight either way. And At least Monty got looked after in some way, instead of being f*cked over, which is more often the case.

Personally Will seems OK to me, he doesn't seem too up-his-own-arse. He did get to know who Monty was.

And ...

So sad Monty passed not long after.

RIP.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    bennyboy said:
    Please for Thes One to tell his will.i.am story. I love this.
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/69382/

To answer Herm's original question, if he hasn't already found out since then...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I miss Monty. He was going to play at my wedding but he injured his hand. And now he's gone. Re-reading that old thread made me remember what made him such a cool guy in the first place. He always sounded like Tommy Chong on the phone

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    bennyboy said:
    Please for Thes One to tell his will.i.am story. I love this.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/69382/

He can fly that chopper until it runs out of kerosine at high altitude if that keeps him away from an MPC.

Gosh. That video sucked.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Gary said:
    I miss Monty.