NI Maschine

2»

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dubious said:
    Drumracks.. man i don't know what it is about them but i just cant wrap my head around them in ableton. I really wish they could have expanded the impulse to 16 cells and created a step sequencer module to link to it.

Whats confusing to you about them? I cant really see any advantage to using impulse other than its kind of a limited kit. IMO to get the most out of ableton you really have to think about the session view as being a sampler in itself. You can chop, trigger samples, and everything else right from the session view.

The default file browser is really all I need to find sounds.

That said, I still probably couldnt get along without kontakt and multiple third party vst's, However, Im fairly sure that sampler will do everything you are looking for. It also reads a multitude of old sample formats.

The coolest thing about the racks system is that it makes the whole software a modular interface. Its a little overwhelming at first, but not cause its overly complicated, just because its different.

I dont really need it, but id love a fruityloops style step sequencer too. Nothing is really as nice as that as far as the piano roll goes.

I have been using XFER Nerve. And its about the closest thing I can find for that stuff. Other than that I just program drums on the fly.

If you play all the notes on the same midi track, its still pretty easy to just copy and paste to separate your drum sounds. Not worth the time setting up multi timberal channels in my opinion,

I go back and fourth from wanting and not wanting the Maschine. I know plenty of people that have it, and the build quality is actually super nice. But the software is still just a giant step backwards and ultimately another step in between you and your daw of choice. The software is the sequencer these days.

the apc40 is nice, but not really necessary either. I miss the feel of doing a whole beat on hardware too, but its just time to leave it be and move on.

Unless you are shooting for a throwback type of feel, its just getting in your way.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the maschine thread bounces back!!!

so im still stoked on machine.. but still NOT using the maschine sequencer AT all. I record all the midi notes in ableton and do the editing there.. FINALLY did wrap my brain round drum racks and bascially record the notes to the drum rack channels and have it triggering the maschine.

90% of the time i record the midi sequences to audio channels these days.. really diggin the filters in maschine and tweaking them in real time durring the recording.

I also finally got the maschien all mapped up to control traktor and its KILLER. Toggling loops, werking the filters, efx...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Dubious said:
    the maschine thread bounces back!!!

so im still stoked on machine.. but still NOT using the maschine sequencer AT all. I record all the midi notes in ableton and do the editing there.. FINALLY did wrap my brain round drum racks and bascially record the notes to the drum rack channels and have it triggering the maschine.

90% of the time i record the midi sequences to audio channels these days.. really diggin the filters in maschine and tweaking them in real time durring the recording.

I also finally got the maschien all mapped up to control traktor and its KILLER. Toggling loops, werking the filters, efx...

so you're just using it as a hardware sampler with fx, and doing all the editing/recording/mixing in ableton? sounds good.

do you bring it to gigs? anyone used maschine with serato?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Unherd said:

so you're just using it as a hardware sampler with fx, and doing all the editing/recording/mixing in ableton? sounds good.

exactly. I fly shit in and out of it.. but do al lthe arrangign in ableton. i mean the majority of my "drums" these days are coming off my casio rz1, ymahaa qy10 or an old roland module.. but will throw sequences, loops into the maschine, filter em and bounce em out.

Unherd said:

do you bring it to gigs? anyone used maschine with serato?

yeah i take the maschine to the dj gigs now. works great for setting loops on the fly, efx. I have all the mixer functions maped, kill switches, the filter etc. Browsing and loading trax... its nice..

i use traktor with control vinyl, so with the maschine i nthe chain i basically never touch the laptop anymore.

• Bump. How is everyone liking their maschine?