Jessie Ware is cuttin' heads

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
You thought you'd never need to hear yet another version of What You Won't Do For Love, right?

Wrong.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    3 her

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "You thought you'd never need to hear yet another version of What You Won't Do For Love, right?"

Actually, I've never had this thought. It's not like it's been covered to death.

...and it's not TROY. ;)

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Heh.

Wikipedia lists ten straight covers, and at least twice as many songs that sample it. Maybe it's the sample joints that make it sound a little over-familiar.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    can i hijack this into a jesse ware appreciation thread?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Is that a little "outstanding" i'm hearing at 3:10?

Between this and the disclosure remix, I guess I'm a fan. Anything else I need to check from her?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This is one of those songs, when done right, I just never get tired of hearing. It's just a really perfect song IMO.

Here's an old live pa version

• Unherd said:
    Anything else I need to check from her?

She's hot...

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Great version - loved her and sampha with SBTRKT as well. is there an album coming?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    can i hijack this into a jesse ware appreciation thread?

Definitely.

Had a crush on her for a minute. Both of these have gotten heavy rotation.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    So this is an 'elbows' comment, but her London accent doesn't do "can't" any favours*. Aside from that, great version, but it's a great song.

* I can almost hear hear her saying "ahhks" in a posh faux street patois with the same sound, Windsor Wreckah-R.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I had no clue Jessie Ware in the this first song was the same chick singing on that SBTRKT song.
    Love her stuff.

I appreciate

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i cleared the floor on fridays gig with the disclousure remix of running... WTF??? related

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Honestly I love a good floor clearer.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    her London accent doesn't do "can't" any favours*.

: )
    I smiled the first time I heard it.

Commenting from the other side of the ocean, I love it!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    A friend of mine once pointed out that this is the ultimate karaoke song for those who can't really sing. "If you listen, Bobby just talks out the whole thing. Try it."

The man has a point.

Speaking about oneself in the third person is a generally accepted no-no, is that right?

TOTALLY charming in this song.

Listening to the album right now. Initial impressions - not at all what I was expecting, and in a good way. Touches of 80s r&b, 'Miami Vice' AOR, New Order, Aaliyah, Eno, Art Of Noise, 'Tango In The Night'-era Mac, Eurythmics, Metheny, Loose Ends, Sade...yet it barely sounds like any of those things. I hope there's room for something like this out there.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    iz it all julio on da beatz?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Peabo Bryson and Natalie Cole version is not bad......

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yup

PatrickCrazy said:
    iz it all julio on da beatz?

There's definitely a consistency to the sound which would lead me to think he's done quite a lot of it. I read that Leo Taylor from The Invisible has done some of it too, although I'm not sure which cuts.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Missed this thread 1st time around.

Mmmmeh. I mean, I know what she's getting at. But Izzi Dunn got all this and more covered.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Touches of 80s r&b, 'Miami Vice' AOR, New Order, Aaliyah, Eno, Art Of Noise, 'Tango In The Night'-era Mac, Eurythmics, Metheny, Loose Ends, Sade
    Bold claims. I might have to check this out.

james said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Touches of 80s r&b, 'Miami Vice' AOR, New Order, Aaliyah, Eno, Art Of Noise, 'Tango In The Night'-era Mac, Eurythmics, Metheny, Loose Ends, Sade
    Bold claims. I might have to check this out.

Knock yourself out.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    jessie ware has a nice voice but those videos on the first page are awful visually and musically.

both my kids came running up to me when i stopped the izzi track and asked me to play it again. WAY better music in my house... thanks for posting. never heard of her/him before.

jinx74 said:
    jessie ware has a nice voice but those videos on the first page are awful visually and musically.

Well, I obviously disagree as far as the music's concerned, but apart from that, I happen to think it's a pretty smart idea to have the visuals be about creating the idea of Jessie Ware, The Singer. If you look at many of the female singers (as opposed to performers) who've blown up over the last few years, it's when the marketing has been concentrated not on building a flamboyant image but on putting the skills up front that sustained success has followed. I think this record is just left-of-centre enough to buck the obvious comparisons, but we'll see.

• Off topic; I saw her walking down oxford street a while back, just as good looking IRL and could play for the globetrotters (deceptively tall-r)

Her album is out in a couple of days, go and cop.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    This is the first I've ever heard of her. I think I like it.

DocMcCoy said:

She is ridiculously good-looking in that classic textbook way. That she is tall is even better!
    I like how she can work melodies and timing better than I like the sound of her voice.

I like the first two songs best. I have no illusions, after years of tear-my-heart-out-and-stomp-on-it raw soul, my palate is not accustomed to such a gentle sweetness and light approach to love and heartbreak. Some of her songs sound like adult contemporary to me, and not in a great way.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    cyril hahn remix of sweet talk
    whoa

seeing her next week!!!