What Is Your Digging Technique?

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited August 2005 in Record Collecting
This is Missbassie's:Well, first I like to have something to eat. Something light, because by the time I???m done, I like to be ready for a big meal. You know, there??? s nothing like record-shopping and then having really good Indian/Thai/West Indian food. I have to have had a coffee, because if it???s going to cut-throat, I have to be sharp.I case the joint as soon as I walk in. Look for potential competition, sections, new arrivals, listening station, possible sharp corners that my jacket might get snagged on.Who???s working the counter? Pretentious, young whipper-snapper, wants to be the next Shadow type? Bitter, crusty, partied with the Dead, hates all customers type? Will talk your ear off, psych rock/girl-group-loving, stoner type? Make eye contact, smile, but do not engage them right away ??? there???s work to be done. Maybe ask if I can put my bags behind the counter if the policy is not already there.Get list out and refer to it now and then. Do not put it out where everyone can see it or so that it gets in the way of others.Now dig. Ask questions as they arise.If there???s a lot of people waiting to listen and I have like 10 or more things I want to listen to, I???ll do it in threes and fours. It sucks waiting for a long time for the turntable.Divide into love it, not sure and put back. See how much the love its come to, decide on the not sures (maybe re-listen) and then put back the put backs.*VERY IMPORTANT: Do not touch face or rub eyes whil digging. It's so dirty.Small talk while paying. Possibly more if have a relationship with him/her. Don???t forget stuff from behind the counter.Decide what I feel like eating. And never ever forget to wash hands once at the restaurant.

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    quite the invloved diggin technique. Many of those I followed, especially the love and put backs.

Nowadays I just have the guy who owns the store call me when he gets stuff in. I tell him what I want, and he holds it til whenever I come in. Much easier nowadays.

• usually when im skimming thru records and i touch a certain record,theres a big flash and then im channeling and i see every person who owned the record and see every where the record been,sorta like a pre cog,then when i let go of the record i tell the next person to buy that record,it will bring them go health and wealth,and then i walk off into the sunset......thru the gusty wind

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    nice

I SAY:

DON'T SWEAT THE TECHNIQUE

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Its all about these:

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    possible sharp corners that my jacket might get snagged on.

funniest thing i read all day

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    nice

I SAY:

DON'T SWEAT THE gusty wind

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Divide into love it, not sure and put back. See how much the love its come to, decide on the not sures (maybe re-listen) and then put back the put backs.

this is the closest thing to a "technique" that i got. i call it elimination. even if i got $$ to blow, i still try to divvy it up into those three categories. otherwise, no technique. i just case the bins and whatever looks good goes home with the Pickwick. and if i see something that ive really been searching for, i keeps my game face on.

***BONUS POINTS IF THERE'S A CUSTOMER TURNTABLE IN THE VICINITY - MANY LOVE-ITS AND NOT SURES BECAME PUT-BACKS WITH LIGHTNING SPEED, IF I COULD HEAR 'EM FIRST***

BTW, that was miss bassie's point of view. how does the laser wolf do it?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    What about the "i'm not sure about this one. I'll hide it in the wrong bin and make my mind up for my next visit" move?

Record stores owners: feel free to hate, I only do that here in Argentina

• What about the "i'm not sure about this one. I'll hide it in the wrong bin and make my mind up for my next visit" move?

Record stores owners: feel free to hate, I only do that here in Argentina

This is why I always check the last records in the Original Cast section.

• usually my guilty conscious kicks in when im driving away and i begin to cry

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    This is Missbassie's:

Well, first I like to have something to eat. Something light, because by the time I???m done, I like to be ready for a big meal. You know, there??? s nothing like record-shopping and then having really good Indian/Thai/West Indian food. I have to have had a coffee, because if it???s going to cut-throat, I have to be sharp.

I case the joint as soon as I walk in. Look for potential competition, sections, new arrivals, listening station, possible sharp corners that my jacket might get snagged on.

Who???s working the counter? Pretentious, young whipper-snapper, wants to be the next Shadow type? Bitter, crusty, partied with the Dead, hates all customers type? Will talk your ear off, psych rock/girl-group-loving, stoner type? Make eye contact, smile, but do not engage them right away ??? there???s work to be done. Maybe ask if I can put my bags behind the counter if the policy is not already there.

Get list out and refer to it now and then. Do not put it out where everyone can see it or so that it gets in the way of others.

Now dig. Ask questions as they arise.

If there???s a lot of people waiting to listen and I have like 10 or more things I want to listen to, I???ll do it in threes and fours. It sucks waiting for a long time for the turntable.

Divide into love it, not sure and put back. See how much the love its come to, decide on the not sures (maybe re-listen) and then put back the put backs.

*VERY IMPORTANT: Do not touch face or rub eyes whil digging. It's so dirty.

Small talk while paying. Possibly more if have a relationship with him/her. Don???t forget stuff from behind the counter.

Decide what I feel like eating. And never ever forget to wash hands once at the restaurant.

Dont forget to say thank you on your way out, even if you didn't buy anything and also don't be too busy to say hello to any old people digging there too.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This is Missbassie's:

Well, first I like to have something to eat. Something light, because by the time I???m done, I like to be ready for a big meal. You know, there??? s nothing like record-shopping and then having really good Indian/Thai/West Indian food. I have to have had a coffee, because if it???s going to cut-throat, I have to be sharp.

I case the joint as soon as I walk in. Look for potential competition, sections, new arrivals, listening station, possible sharp corners that my jacket might get snagged on.

Who???s working the counter? Pretentious, young whipper-snapper, wants to be the next Shadow type? Bitter, crusty, partied with the Dead, hates all customers type? Will talk your ear off, psych rock/girl-group-loving, stoner type? Make eye contact, smile, but do not engage them right away ??? there???s work to be done. Maybe ask if I can put my bags behind the counter if the policy is not already there.

Get list out and refer to it now and then. Do not put it out where everyone can see it or so that it gets in the way of others.

Now dig. Ask questions as they arise.

If there???s a lot of people waiting to listen and I have like 10 or more things I want to listen to, I???ll do it in threes and fours. It sucks waiting for a long time for the turntable.

*VERY IMPORTANT: Do not touch face or rub eyes whil digging. It's so dirty.

Small talk while paying. Possibly more if have a relationship with him/her. Don???t forget stuff from behind the counter.

Decide what I feel like eating. And never ever forget to wash hands once at the restaurant.

Dont forget to say thank you on your way out, even if you didn't buy anything and also don't be too busy to say hello to any old people digging there too.

LOL! Goes without saying darlin.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    This is why I always check the last records in the Original Cast section.

I always use the anti-bin system. If it is a jazz record, I carefully approach the Heavy Metal bin and with a look, I slip the baby in between the Iron Maidens....

nice

I SAY:

DON'T SWEAT THE GUTSY BINDER

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hiding records is kinda ghey. Like Reynaldo would say, "buy that ish." Or at least put it on hold - I do like finding records that other folls have hid, though - always flip through the sections for artists you don't care about, because muthaphuckas are lazy, and will drop Ayers raers in Ashford & Simpson sections...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    First I look all around to be shure I can't be seen. Then I stick my whole thumb up my nose until I strike gold. Then I wipe it on the headphones at the listening station.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Hiding records is kinda ghey. Like Reynaldo would say, "buy that ish. Or at least put it on hold - I do like finding records that other folls have hid, though - always flip through the sections for artists you don't care about, because muthaphuckas are lazy, and will drop Ayers raers in Ashford & Simpson sections...

What? Are you calling me ghey? You admit you search for other people's hidden records. That's DOUBLE-ghey

• First I look all around to be shure I can't be seen. Then I stick my whole thumb up my nose until I strike gold. Then I wipe it on the headphones at the listening station.

Do these come for ears too?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

this is the closest thing to a "technique" that i got. i call it elimination. even if i got $$ to blow, i still try to divvy it up into those three categories. otherwise, no technique. i just case the bins and whatever looks good goes home with the Pickwick. and if i see something that ive really been searching for, i keeps my game face on.

***BONUS POINTS IF THERE'S A CUSTOMER TURNTABLE IN THE VICINITY - MANY LOVE-ITS AND NOT SURES BECAME PUT-BACKS WITH LIGHTNING SPEED, IF I COULD HEAR 'EM FIRST***

BTW, that was miss bassie's point of view. how does the laser wolf do it?

I should say that MissB posted this in a different thread, and was clearly meant
    as entertainment. I thought it was so entertaining and well written that it
    deserveded it's own thread.

My technique is to go in after recordmonger, twoply, mrdelmont, grandgroove and
    mrfunky are through looking through the records. I will then pull out a few
    raers I could make money on, and a few cheese cake covers I could add to my
    overflowing cheese cake collection. I then put the raers back and buy the
    cheese cake.

Dan

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hiding records is kinda ghey. Like Reynaldo would say, "buy that ish. Or at least put it on hold - I do like finding records that other folls have hid, though - always flip through the sections for artists you don't care about, because muthaphuckas are lazy, and will drop Ayers raers in Ashford & Simpson sections...

What? Are you calling me ghey? You admit you search for other people's hidden records. That's DOUBLE-ghey

Hey, I'm all about letting others do the work!

CHEESECAKEY STATUS

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    My technique is watch the item.

Then snipe with my highest bid with 20 seconds left.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Hey, I'm all about letting others do the work!
    Passive-ghey, the worst kind!!

My technique is watch the item.

Then snipe with my highest bid with 20 seconds left.

sometimes I wonder if its not better to place a bid and use my fear factor to keep others from bidding up the LP early.

• Bid the same amount twice. People will think a bidding-battle is allready going on.

• Depends on the spot but I like to be pretty thorough. There was a time when I would jump first into the oddball sections (Foreign/international, mexican/latin, soundtracks, kids records) then the Soul, Jazz, and always hip-hop.

I NEVER FUCK WITH ROCK though, I usually give-up once I don't see Kid Dynamite or the handfull of rock records I want/know of. I should but I don't...

Going on long digging trips, always puff the "la-la". I figure since I'll be in a spot for a long time being baked will make the time go fast/freeze.

thats true - a lot of times I wont bid on something with multiple bids on it because I dont want to get involved in a bidding war.

good tip.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I like to dig at a place with an upstairs bit where "not just anyone is allowed" - yeah one of those places.

I take my portable. When I get upstairs, I have a quick scan and find something to spin on the portable while I am digging.

Digging result stacks: DEFINITELY YES / UNDECIDED / PUT BACK / PRICE CZECH

Analysis of finds: Needle drops of 10 seconds or less per track.

The gift:

After like 2 hours of non stop digging, I hit a metaphorical wall and just cant be bothered to dig anymore, BUT !! ... I find that if I push past that, and keep digging.. all of a sudden I acquire a magical-supernatural super spectacular magnetic spidey 6th sense to instantly find untold heat... as if god suddenly went: 'Okay, he's just got to the 2 hour mark, he's legit - let him find the heat now'....

Dont go too far though, if you get too greedy with the gift - god will get pissed and revoke it again - if this happens you wont be able to differentiate between the heat and the stone cold sayers, and you'll just want to quit digging forever and buy whole shop - this is the time to just take your finds and get out quick.

The next time you go to sleep after that, god will re-activate your digging and heat judgement skills again.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    The art of digging without digging.....................

• Go through every record in the place.

If you examine anything for more than 20 seconds, BUY IT.

Fuck a listening station.

Put your shit in a pile, bring it up to the counter, and buy it.

Make a judgement call on the clerk and perhaps request a discount.

Hard cash payments will sometimes deter tax.

Sort the biz later in the comfort of your own home.

Remember that the record that you think sucks tonight will possibly bring magic a year from now.

Things that don't eventually bring magic can easily be sold later for the price you paid or more.

Relax knowing that you live for this crap.