edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Is it 2013 yet?

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    SO PUMPED FOR THIS

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    cant wait, i want a timemachine

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    When I saw the Dictator they showed a brief ad for this. Blew my mind.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ill be checkin this and im so over Farrell.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    That Conan announcement was hilarious.
    For me, the only thing that Im hanging out for more is Prometheus (not long now).

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I AM SUPER GEEKED FOR THIS AND IT'S NOT JUST BECAUSE I INTENSELY IDENTIFY WITH RON BURGUNDY. ALRIGHT IT'S PARTLY ABOUT THAT, BUT MOSTLY ABOUT THE AWESOMENESS. AND THE SALON QUALITY HAIR.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The only thing that concerns me is the race jokes at the dinner table. Not sure why they want to push that when it's not really needed.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Huh?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm pretty sure this is going to end up being kind of disappointing (especially compared to the original), but I'm still going to go see it.

Guzzo said:
    Huh?

The end of the clip where he calls a table full of africian american "convicts" and says he doesn't read "jheri curl daily". Pretty bad taste to think it's funny that Ron was racist in the 80's. Sounds like they ran out of jokes and ripped off Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (Bernie Mac version).

Way to kill my buzz, Buzz Killington.

DB_Cooper said:

Yea, I'm really looking forward to this so I was let down by the low humor. Tackling race in the 80's isn't exactly cutting edge. More like desperate for jokes and shock value.

volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Yea, I'm really looking forward to this so I was let down by the low humor. Tackling race in the 80's isn't exactly cutting edge. More like desperate for jokes and shock value.

Ron Burgundy's character is that of a somewhat well-meaning buffoon, and a major part of the first movie revolved around his sexism and his cluelessness about his own sexism. Unless they were just going to reuse the exact same formula (a la The Hangover 2), the writers had to find a way to maintain the theme but with a different focus to keep it fresh for the new movie.

Why people do not get this, I do not know. Am I the only one around here who actually likes and understands comedy?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Ron Burgundy's character is that of a somewhat well-meaning buffoon, and a major part of the first movie revolved around his sexism and his cluelessness about his own sexism. Unless they were just going to reuse the exact same formula (a la The Hangover 2), the writers had to find a way to maintain the theme but with a different focus to keep it fresh for the new movie.

Why people do not get this, I do not know. Am I the only one around here who actually likes and understands comedy?

I'll have you know I take the family to Branson twice a year.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I'm glad Christina Applegate is in the sequel. She plays such a greate straightman to them.

DB_Cooper said:
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I'm well aware of how comedy works. It doesn't make being a buffoon racist funny. The first movie worked because the girl kept outsmarting the guys and the guys were clearly jack asses. So unless the black family is going to take over the station and make Ron the janitor I'm not sure how calling people convicts is going to be justified other than thinking an ignorant racist is funny. Which it isn't. Unless your Mel Brooks and Richard Pryor you shouldn't be attempting to tackle race in a comedy. Have you even watched the clip? You really think that scene is funny?

In the 80's you would have had your ass beat for talking like that to peoples face.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ...and now the Anchorman 2 thread is about race...

good job soulstrut

volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I'm well aware of how comedy works. It doesn't make being a buffoon racist funny. The first movie worked because the girl kept outsmarting the guys and the guys were clearly jack asses. So unless the black family is going to take over the station and make Ron the janitor I'm not sure how calling people convicts is going to be justified other than thinking an ignorant racist is funny. Which it isn't. Unless your Mel Brooks and Richard Pryor you shouldn't be attempting to tackle race in a comedy. Have you even watched the clip? You really think that scene is funny?

In the 80's you would have had your ass beat for talking like that to peoples face.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Black people in that scene are portrayed as far more intelligent and reasonable than Ron Burgundy, and that some ill fortune will befall him as a result of his actions, but we can reserve judgment and wait until the movie comes out and see. Who doesn't like to see a fool get his comeuppance? Or we can, you know, totally try to resolve the history of race relations in this thread for the millionth time on Soulstrut if you want.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    maybe he's just trying to be affable?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I'll catch this at the second run theater for $1.

• im not going to see it because it paints people with remarkable hair and broadcast quality elocution as buffoons and that offends me personally.

shame on all of you.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Black people in that scene are portrayed as far more intelligent and reasonable than Ron Burgundy, and that some ill fortune will befall him as a result of his actions, but we can reserve judgment and wait until the movie comes out and see. Who doesn't like to see a fool get his comeuppance? Or we can, you know, totally try to resolve the history of race relations in this thread for the millionth time on Soulstrut if you want.

As they say, when in Rome...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Yes. Please go on.

DB_Cooper said:
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Yes. Please go on.

They really got an exceptional amount of mileage out of that bit. That's the kind of lightning in a bottle I'm pretty sure the sequel will fail to capture.

• immortalized.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I find Will Farrell to be the funniest person on earth, but I can't sit through any of his movies. Anchorman felt two hours too long. Dodge ads are already wearing on me.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Anchorman felt two hours too long. .

I have a long-running dispute with a friend of mine about Blades Of Glory. He loves Ferrell films, but doesn't think Blades Of Glory is funny. He adores Anchorman. Anchorman is limited to me while I think Blades is genius.

The dispute is longer, more heated, and funnier, imho, than I've made out above. Honest.

• I like Step Brothers more than Anchorman but Anchorman is pretty dam good too.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Casa de Mi Padre > Any other Will Ferrel movie

Duderonomy said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Anchorman felt two hours too long. .

I have a long-running dispute with a friend of mine about Blades Of Glory. He loves Ferrell films, but doesn't think Blades Of Glory is funny. He adores Anchorman. Anchorman is limited to me while I think Blades is genius.

I think Anchorman is way funnier than Blades, but holy crap, did I laugh my head off at Jenna Fischer saying, "OK, that will give me time to get my jugs waxed."