What do you remember about 2002?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Because I'm struggling to remember anything about it. I'm drawing a blank. What was popular? What were people doing? Listening to? Talking about?

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I think 9/11 was still popular and and homeland security was kind of an issue.

• hugh_lucerohugh_lucero 485 Posts
    My first memory was about how shook everything was, due to 9/11, and I'm in Melbourne, nearly at the bottom of the world.

Drum and Bass was still big down here, as were DMC comps & you could hear a penny drop at Soul and Funk nights. How the tables have turned.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I was 27. Bought a house. No kids. Was out digging like crazy. I liked hip hop a lot more.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Dot-com bubbles bursting left right and centre. Jam Master Jay gunned down. White Stripes blowing up. Craig David showing promise. Enron exposed. iPods taking off. Napster finally expiring.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Dot-com bubbles bursting left right and centre. Jam Master Jay gunned down. White Stripes blowing up. Craig David showing promise. Enron exposed. iPods taking off. Napster finally expiring.

WTO protests, the vast majority of Americans thinking going into Afghanistan was a GREAT idea.

AND DENNIS BERGKAMP,DENNIS BERGKAMP,DENNIS FUCKING BERGKAMP

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I had moved from NYC back to Berlin in 2000 and by 2002 my funk night there was in full swing so in the fall I took my future wife on a road trip through the Pyr??n??es which turned out to be our most incredible vacation up until that point. Most memorable moments were:

-Visiting the famous butcher shop of master charcutier Pierre Oteiza who continues to this day to single handedly save the endangered species of Basque Pig from extinction. He breeds and feeds these pigs strictly organic and they produce the most heavenly air cured ham I have ever tasted:

-hiking through the mountains to Lac D'Ourec and taking a swim in the coldest water I ever set foot in...

2002 was a great year.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    That looks amazing. Frank, if it's mountains, lakes and sublime charcuterie you're after you need to get yourself to Corsica. Slightly biased (Corsican-genes related) but it's very beautiful.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I meant to visit Corsica for ages but somehow never got around to doing it. It's definitely on top of our to do list for our next log term stay in Europe whenever that will be. My wife has been to Corsica as a teenager and has very fond memories of the place...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Dancehall artists, like Sean Paul, making roads in the pop charts. Def Jux and the slow death of 90s boom bap hip hop. Eminem becoming a pop star and making a movie.

Arsenal win their second double in five seasons.

World Cup in Japan and South Korea. Don't recall who won it, but remember some controversy over the Koreans making through on some rather dubious decisions, because they didn't want the host nations to go out too soon.

• Def Jux, Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped, Serena beat her sister Venus at the French Open... I drank WAAAAY too much Jack Daniels during this year and started calling it "Jackie Danny".

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I graduated from high school.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I wanted to scratch so bad but I could never get good and I never knew what I was doing. Nonetheless I looked At Asisphonics and I know some of you others did too.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    2002 I moved to Auckland for a job that I'm still at.
    I was buying a lot of records.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts

Everyone in Hip hop got mad at us.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    neptunes

• SIRUS said:
    neptunes & timbaland

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Season 1

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I've been googling and looking stuff up trying to jog my memory.

Nelly's "Hot in Herre" was a hit and I hated it. Eminem's "Lose yourself" and that movie 8 mile.

That movie "Scratch" came out and I waited in line to watch it at the Ken Theatre here in San Diego.

OST came out, so did Shadow's "Private Press."

RJD2 Deadringer was released.

Jurassic 5 released "Power in Numbers" and MC Paul Barman released "Paullelujah!"

In August of 2002 I registered for a website called soulstrut. By September I had racked up an impressive 7 posts.

Kelis had not yet released "Milkshake". That was to be the future.

• 4YearGraduate said:

Everyone in Hip hop got mad at us.

This was a staple in the clubs in Australia. I danced my ass off totally buckled to this joint many times in 02.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    I move from London to Los Angeles and discovered Amoeba, Pasadena Swap Meet and about a dozen or so record shops which were about to close down within the next year or so. I posted on slstrt about this in a thread called "Death all around me" which had quite a number of replies if I remember correctly.
    In general, I spent a lot more time on Soulstrut, but also on Deep Funk and Vinyl Vultures, both of which organised amazing Mix-CD swaps with about 40 participants each. I imported lots of small label Funk from Finland, Japan, Germany, UK, etc. ??which I sold to LA / Southern Californian shops, collectors and the like.
    Had a fun night at a Dapkings concert at the Knitting Factory where I set up shop at the back of the hall next to their merchandise table. Everybody was cool with that, Neil Sugarman and Egon ??thumbed through my crates and we had a nice chat.??
    Wanted to spend a long weekend in Hawaii and realised that it's still a long way from LA; decided to extend it to two weeks in Kauai and Maui.??Really liked it.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Registered to to soulstrut too in late 2002. I remember one of the first threads I started was some proposition to trade dollarbincommon german heat for dollarbincommon US heat. Shortly before Donald Rumsfeld was ranting against "Old Europe", especially germany because our chancelor Gerhard Schr??der refused to support the US in war against Iraq. Because of that I called my thread something like "Trade with the traitors". Some people didn't get it and thought I would mark US-Americans as traitors so I received my first threat of violence on here pretty early (plus some massive clonning because I had mentioned James Last in that threat as well.)

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    I was DJing house music in London (at places like The End, The Drome, Trendz and whatever the Jazz Bistro turned into) and at free parties in the Kent countryside. Smoking a lot of weed and making psychedelic house music most nights in a space we rented in a rehearsal studio in Stokey. Put out these two records in 2002:
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Tak-008/release/29612
    http://www.discogs.com/Timedwellers-The-Barbuda-EP/release/60285
    I had no money and was getting smashed most weekends. It was fun but I'm finding it really tiring just thinking about it.

• leonleon 883 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Most memorable songs of 2002 for me were Santana's "The Game of Love" and Sophie Ellis Bextor's "Music Gets The Best Of Me".

They reignited a love for copping records, something which I'd drifted away from over the previous few years, having started child raising.

Also memorable for the autumn night when I came home with a raspberry coloured mark on my collar after a night at a lap dancing place with work clients. It was black currant juice, wifey thought it was lipstick, big drunken row, moody sulks for weeks, culminating in separation 2 years later and eventual divorce.
    Shit times.
    Why you had to open old wounds, Gary?
    You bastard.

::ice grill / wink combo::.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The biggest memory I have of 2002 is that my wife and I found out she was pregnant that August, which we were not ready for at all. I had to leave for a tour with my band the day after we found out for sure, leaving my wife a sobbing wreck alone in our apartment with her cat. When I got back from the tour I went into my DJ/record room and found that her cat had shit and pissed on my turntables. The lesson: Cats are vindictive fuckers who do not like it when you upset their owners.

Also, Jam Master Jay and Joe Strummer both died that year, which sucked.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    2002??? Digging was exciting ???.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    RAJ said:
    2002??? Digging was exciting ???.