Facebook Floatation

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Who is buying? Who is crying?

I give it 10-14 days before they head South.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Two Words: Tech Bubble

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    "Ahm ooot"

It's uninvestable on any sane parameter.

Where's the income?
    GM pulled advertising?

B/w whoever finds a robust way of monetizing non-economic social networking, let me holler at shares in that

Their "user base" numbers are totally bloated.

I doubt Buffett will be piling in.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Their "user base" numbers are totally bloated.

NPR did a story about companies selling "Likes". There has to be a huge number of facebook bots filling up that 900 Million user base.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I just hope that when it crashes that 4% partner mofo who gave up his U.S. citizenship because he didn't want to pay taxes on his new found wealth goes flat ass broke.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    skel said:

Where's the income?
    GM pulled advertising?

B/w whoever finds a robust way of monetizing non-economic social networking, let me holler at shares in that

We spend close to seven figures a year on Facebook for our UK clients and we are a very, very small player. Their revenue model totally stacks up - print and broadcast are shrinking audiences but they're all on Facebook and people are good enough to tell you what they like. Not sustainable, mind you, but for the moment it's just raining cash over there.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Facebook has already maxed out. Anybody buying these shares thinking they will go up by any appreciable amount is going to be disappointed.

The company will lose half it's valuation in two to three years, pretty much like Yahoo did.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    skel said:
    "Ahm ooot"

?

• rootlesscosmo said:
    skel said:
    "Ahm ooot"

?

probably won't make it much clearer, but:

Flomotion said:
    skel said:

Where's the income?
    GM pulled advertising?

We spend close to seven figures a year on Facebook for our UK clients and we are a very, very small player. Their revenue model totally stacks up - print and broadcast are shrinking audiences but they're all on Facebook and people are good enough to tell you what they like. Not sustainable, mind you, but for the moment it's just raining cash over there.

I'm a notoriously bad stock-picker so will bow to those in the know.
    Just too many fundamentals are wrong.
    Company is just 8 years old.
    It's run by. a 28 year old.
    It doesn't 'make' anything.
    It relies on one income stream.
    If it suddenly becomes uncool , it is history.
    If a better competitor gains traction, game over.

• Options
    Tried to short it at a limit of 42 shortly after it opened, (the official first public trade was 42.05, but it was really moving around 43 for a minute before the decline started) and was denied. Watched it slowly decline for a bit after that, then had an order filled out and ready to go when it was stuck on 38.00 for a few minutes. Grabbed a bunch at 38.60 when it started to run and cut it loose at 39.75 a few minutes later. Nice day, the price action went like I thought it would but the fact that it was sitting all the way down at 38 for awhile was a surprise. Going to be fun trading in and out of this for awhile. .

The next question is whether a lot of the selling in AAPL recently was tied to people booking profits and freeing up cash to buy FB.

Watching CNBC was pure entertainment today.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Who is buying?

I bought a few for the heck of it. Should be interesting to see what happens.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    i don't know if they could have picked a worse time to float. even the tiniest 'bad' news is causing ridiculous falls. i won't be going anywhere near it

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    FACEBOOK closes at $38.17, a 0.4% increase over IPO price - OVERWHELMING SUCCESS!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    skel said:
    I doubt Buffett will be piling in.

Man, I was watching a documentary about him the other day and he's like some kind of idiot savante, and I don't say that in a good way. Additionally, now that he's a stock market taste maker, any investment he makes is golden because other investors follow suit and invest in whatever he does like some kind of Stock Market Oprah.

Where is facebook's value? Secretly culling user preferences, ad space, viral vids? Yahoo-esque for sure.
    I hope they make a "Saverin Law." Fuck that dude and people like him.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    skel said:

Where's the income?
    GM pulled advertising?

I feel the same way.
    Someone was pointing out that folks were saying the same thing about google when they went public.
    At that time they did very little advertising and little else to offer besides search engine.

It has been a strong stock so far.

Time will tell; we have no history to fall back on.
    Except we had a fore-runner in the uk called Friends Reunited and after a huge surge of interest, it got off-loaded to a TV station and now there's crickets.

Social e-networking is too young an industry. Dudes will arb the bubble on the stock price, and that's cool, but I just heard Zuck retains controlling voting interest and that's not a good look IMHO.

• Ask Rupert Murdoch and Fox how Myspace worked out for them.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I hate to quote Twitter, but as Andy Borowitz said, "I'd believe Facebook is worth $100 billion dollars if I knew one person who had ever clicked on a Facebook ad."

I don't get it, but I'm a Twitter guy.

As someone who follows Stocktwits, but stayed out of this (I'm kind of largely liquid right now, save some low $ plays; not smart enough and too busy to be fusking with this market) I'm about to pay money to follow the Sween stream. Throw in a fart joke or 10, and I'm way in.

• Options
    gareth said:

As someone who follows Stocktwits, but stayed out of this (I'm kind of largely liquid right now, save some low $ plays; not smart enough and too busy to be fusking with this market) I'm about to pay money to follow the Sween stream. Throw in a fart joke or 10, and I'm way in.

I tried posting on StockTwits, it wasn't for me. I spent the majority of my posts making fun of all of the AAPL related posting over there, pretty big waste of time on my end. On top of that, a lot of info gets thrown out there by people who are making trades of 1 or 2 option contracts. They have very little skin in the game but blow the most hot air. It's a halfway decent site though now, I think they have a lot more members and the information is a little more spread out. I also don't post stock buys on twitter, I tried that on Stocktwits but it distracts me from the business at hand.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Wow. The fisting already started.

I was already out.

SCAM

• ironically that guy doing all the Facebook/Morgan Stanley bashing in that video (Blodget) is banned from the securities industry for civil securities fraud.

Ok so stock price now around half of the IPO level, 2 years ahead of the Horseleech target.

We all called bullshit, except for poor jfad. I hope his investment wasn't chunky.

So who can call it a buy now? Anyone got a feeling on the FB move into mobile device enhancements? They have nuff cash to throw into development, but can the bosses be trusted to make it so? Or has the ship sailed for this company?

SPEAK WITH CONVICTION TO A TEMPTED DUDE

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Mobile devices? Not based on their record so far. FB on my Nokia is terdly. I wouldn't trust them to write a note to the milkman.

Their sales model is what, pushing content in a clusterf*ck on-screen format to colllege kids? Portable devices don't have, by their portable nature, the screen real-estate to render the clusterfu*k in a non-dogs-dinner way.

Perhaps my standards are too high, doe?

College kids with expensive tablets pls to speak on it.

• Options
    I've said before, "I wouldn't give 2 cents for a share of fascist book." It is too obtrusive.

Fascist book user's eyes are their product. Groups buying ads are Hoping you will clickity-clack the link, share it with your friends, buy something if your buying things. I call it starting a bunch of very small fires.

I'm going to go for a bike ride to the grocery store before it gets too hot.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    skel said:

We all called bullshit, except for poor jfad. I hope his investment wasn't chunky.

Only 10 shares. Thanks for your concern.