James Brown's Polydor Albums: Unintentional Comedy???

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    lilmonstu said:
    Alot of the same tracks are on there, so I can't diss Sex Machine. I'm just saying the screams are not my favorite parts of his music.

It's cool. BTW, are you the same person who has said that some of Aretha's songs were too "shouty?"

when it comes to dancing I pack the double disc on HRB Music in my backpack.

For a few years there, that HRB album (which was sold thru the mail via TV commercials) plus the two Soul Classics albums were the closest things to a James Brown "comprehensive anthology." At least until the big JB reissue frenzy of the eighties.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bump

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive rocked the dance floor with the Salsa version of Please Please Please.

batmon said:

I believe it. I saw someone else do it at another DJ gig.

The groove is right, so you could throw that on in the middle of a salsa party and not lose any ground.

But if you're familiar with the original, it still sounds outlandish.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    I like in "ain't it funky now" when he yells at Kush after his solo, "Kush, put that little horn away! You aughta be ashamed of yourself!"

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    I like in "ain't it funky now" when he yells at Kush after his solo, "Kush, put that little horn away! You aughta be ashamed of yourself!"

Yeah, that one was on King but it was a sure sign of things to come. "LET ME CON-CEN-TRATE!"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

I believe it. I saw someone else do it at another DJ gig.

The groove is right, so you could throw that on in the middle of a salsa party and not lose any ground.

But if you're familiar with the original, it still sounds outlandish.

"TE QUIERO!"