The Avengers

124»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    batmon said:
    I agree that both IronMans have weak climaxes.

I dunno but every climax scene in all the previous flicks didnt have the same impact as the Avengers for me.

ive always wanted those movies to let the heroes go all out. The avengers has like a whole second act where its just stright up action.
    and all the heroes got to show off their powers. No love story , no clinging backstory, just str8 up action with powers.....like a comic book.

Hellboy is great. But it aint fuckin with The Avengers.

The climax of all the Xmen movies is Magneto doing something fantastic. Its getting tired.

1) I thought Hulk saving Iron Man at the end of Avenges was surprisingly moving. It speaks to how well this Hulk was envisioned and executed. Seriously, can't say enough about how well Whedon and Ruffalo handled Hulk here after the previous two awkward attempts. But in general, that whole "NYC getting destroyed" shit is tired as fuck to me. For one, Zack Penn did a better job with that with "Cloverdale" which - for all its other faults (i.e. the fact you don't care about any of the characters) made you feel like Manhattan was this insanely dangerous place to be. With Avengers, a bunch of poorly rendered CGI green goblin-like aliens and those giant space sturgeons just felt like a take on a Michael Bay disaster sequence. All excess, insufficient nuance.

The 911 references are tired.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Blade 2" is another personal favorite as far as fun/zany comic book films go. Completely holds up to repeated viewings.

I think someone raised this earlier but seriously: why can't someone make a better Fantastic Four movie?

• mannybolone said:
    I think someone raised this earlier but seriously: why can't someone make a better Fantastic Four movie?

Director issues? I am a huge Fantastic Four fan and I was elated when both came out, but it was deflated when I saw both movies. Doctor Doom was about as scary as Gargamel from the Smurfs, and the one-liners where mediocre at best. Great special-effects but horrible script. My daughter and my son both thought that those movies were boring.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    "Blade 2" is another personal favorite as far as fun/zany comic book films go. Completely holds up to repeated viewings.

Agreed. Blade 2 is fantastic. The first one is good, the third tries a little too hard (and the ending is ridiculously over the top). With the second, there's an added twist for us Brits due to the fact that Nomak is played by former 80s teen pop idol Luke Goss. This is a bit like an American audience watching a movie where Joey McIntyre has been cast as Charles Manson.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    Did anyone see Chronicle. Im watching this shit on Blu ray now and its good.

haven't seen it yet but the director is supposed to do the fantastic four reboot.

and the screenwriter directed this:

• I thought Whedon knocked it out of the park. Dude went from 2 cancelled TV shows and having Cabin in the Woods almost get shelved by MGM, to breaking the record for biggest domestic opening weekend. It's just nice to see an underdog finally get his due.

Now, if only he'll cast Summer Glau as Scarlet Witch in the sequel...

YES

ALL GLAU EVERYTHING

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    ALL GLAU EVERYTHING

:hayek:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    saw it today
    it delivered...and even the final fight was satisfying
    so all in all they had to compress a lot and still delivered more than i expected
    good lines good nuances
    well done
    thor 2 not down i liked cap 1 but do not need cap 2
    always down for ironman
    can't wait for the 5 rings
    they need to do it in 2 parts and be bloody as fuck

pcmr said:
    can't wait for the 5 rings

Infinity Gauntlet or Mandarin's 10 rings?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    infinity (should have said 6 gems)
    even if there are so many characters i need it to happen
    and we need to see doom on screen in iron man 3 to set it up
    thanos an em did talk about death
    it seems to abstract but it would be incredible for fans

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    but yeah mandarin in ironman3 also...

Im going to the Besy Buy Midnight Release of The BluRay. Gonna get drunk and get on line with the other hood geeks. Im bringing my chair.

• anyone check Avengers vs. X-Men this spring/summer? I have 50 of em loaded up .CBR style on the iPad. Some of them are great, some a little tedious, but I'd like to see a cohesive treatment come to the big screen. any chance?

herbacios tweed said:
    anyone check Avengers vs. X-Men this spring/summer? I have 50 of em loaded up .CBR style on the iPad. Some of them are great, some a little tedious, but I'd like to see a cohesive treatment come to the big screen. any chance?

Ive read the series waiting for the last issue to drop. Its not all that.

As for a VS movie. That wont happen due to licensing. Fox vs Disney related.

Plus Xmen have just rebooted and are in the 60s right now. Avengers has to complete this trilogy to even think about entering a double franchise team flick.

U cant really breakdown a twelve issue story into two or three hours. U would need a trilogy.

And Namor is tied up with ownership issues which would possible jeprodize the Phoenix Five story arc.