MP3 conversion question (Serato/FS related)

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I know I'll be making that digital dj jumpoff in the next few months, and have been busy researching both options right now. I've been importing all my music into itunes/ipod as ACC files at 160kbps. I know it should be no lower than 192 for decent sound quality. So, want I'm wondering is, if I change my importing preferences to 192kbps, and then convert my files, will that improve the sound quality of the files? I mean, does itunes do any dithering or something of that nature? Or is it case of once it's compressed, those frequencies are lost, and I would have to reimport using the higher rate?

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    In terms of MP3's or any compressed audio file, once it's down at a certain bit rate, that's it. Some audio quality is lost, and you can convert an MP3 to WAV and analyze it, and compare it with a WAV file of the same song. While you can tweak an MP3 that had a lower bit rate, there will still be a loss in quality.

So, if you have something at 160, you convert it to a WAV file. The WAV is exactly that of the 160 MP3. So if you convert to 192, you are still downgrading that WAV, so even more will be compressed. I've read that some Serato users will use MP3's encoded at 320, no exception. There is still a slight loss in quality, but if you're in a club, not too many people are going to notice.

If you have the original source (CD or vinyl > WAV file), then you can play with different methods of encoding, and see what's best for you. Once you play around with MP3 and converting back and forth, you're just making it sound worse, and you don't want that "shard" sound ruining your sets.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    This seems to be an on-going topic that people have varying degrees of opinion about. I've been using Serato for over a year now and do the following:

MP3s, 256kbps ripped through iTunes.
    I also have 192s, which to be honest sound absolutely fine in the club (and that includes played over the Phazon system at Crobar in Miami).

Some claim to hear discrepencies with anything below 256kbps - personally I think it's subjective. It's as much to do with the software used for ripping the MP3 more than anything. And the iTunes encoder is one of the best.

So here's a guide:

128s are a no-no. Don't even bother.
    160s are ok, but again, not recommended.
    192s are fine, but if you're downloading using Limewire or similar, listen carefully first.
    256 and higher is recommended.