The Avengers

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    te trailer for expandables2 was a laugh riot. maybe cause i was drunk, but i just found all the old action heroes crammed into one trailer hilarious

• i agree about the 3D. i coulda done without it

im trying to remember the other one liners from the movie but theyre not coming to mind. definitely a bunch of laugh out loud moments[/quote

"I got low. I didn't see an end so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy ate it..." - Bruce Banner (my favorite!)

"Dost thou mother know you wereth her robes??" - Tony Stark to Thor

"Doc... I think now's the perfect time to get angry!" Capt America "That's my secret Cap, I'm always angry..." Bruce Banner

huh i didnt feel that first banner line was that funny. more just about the tortured life he leads

rdj had handfuls of lines. "billionaire, genius, playboy, philanthropist" was cute
    and caps "hulk....smash" was fun. but there were some better ones.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I liked when Captain America was excited 'cause he finally understood a pop culture reference (The Wizard Of Oz).

oh yeah the flying monkeys shit was good

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Finally they got the Hulk right!!!

I'd say this is right up there with the Christopher Nolan flicks as far as catching the tone of the comic books correctly. Too bad I'll never see a decent Spiderman movie in my lifetime.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    This is may ruffle some feathers, but I thought it was a step above Meh-status. Hulk was cool, RDJ was cool, but that was about it, IMHO.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    This is may ruffle some feathers, but I thought it was a step above Meh-status. Hulk was cool, RDJ was cool, but that was about it, IMHO.

Name three better Super-hero films since 2000

• batman begins, ironman, dark knight, x-men 2, and x-men first class are all pretty great..this one isn't flawless, but it is relatively good compared to some others.

First Class has nothing on The Avengers.

batmon said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Name three better Super-hero films since 2000

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, XMEN First Class.

I can add the first Iron Man, too, as an honorable mention. I may even rate the Hellboy's over Avengers.

For the record, I didn't really read Avengers when I was geeking out on comcs.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    i agree about the 3D. i coulda done without it

im trying to remember the other one liners from the movie but theyre not coming to mind. definitely a bunch of laugh out loud moments[/quote

"I got low. I didn't see an end so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy ate it..." - Bruce Banner (my favorite!)

"Dost thou mother know you wereth her robes??" - Tony Stark to Thor

"Doc... I think now's the perfect time to get angry!" Capt America That's my secret Cap, I'm always angry... Bruce Banner

"Clench up, Legolas."

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    DuttyBabylon said:
    long time..

A few thoughts,

Thanks you for this next level trailer, Captain America's shield is great!

Best Hulk for sure

Captain America as a side character can be tolerable

Downey does it right

Special Effects were amazing at times (except those stupid CGI warriors, thanos looks bad ass though)

I think we all know Nick Fury's original character was strongly based on Samuel L anyway....

Was that Scarlett Johannson's real butt, in the interrogation scene and if so wow?

This was the best action movie i've seen since Nighthawks with Stallone and Lando!

• the ultimate nick fury's looks...not the character. but now there is a younger nick fury in the 616 regular marvel line. and an agent coulson.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Loved it. Iron Man had the best lines... but Hulk straight killed it.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    It was good up until the extended NYC battle scene. Felt very "Transformers" during the last 15 minutes.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    "Yaaay. Good job guys."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Finally caught this but wish I had gone to see it on a busier night (vs afternoon matinee). Crowd reaction must have been ridiculous on some of the better scenes.

Overall, i agree with the general feedback that it was really well-written but less competently directed. Thought the NYC battle was meh though those alien dino fishes were pretty sick. I thought the heli-carrier repair scene went on too long but I seem to be in the minority.

Hulk was great. Ruffalo >>> Bana and Norton.
    I do wonder how they'll develop Cap in the next sequel. Really don't need a Thor 2 but I liked him here.

Bring on the I------- G------- !

I'd still put Dark Knight and X-Men 2 ahead of this. Not sure about Iron Man 1. Where does Superman 2 fall for folks?

Is Xmen 2 with the I have to kill you Phoenix cause i love u Wolverine climax better than Iron Mans Avengers end scene?

batmon said:
    Is Xmen 2 with the I have to kill you Phoenix cause i love u Wolverine climax better than Iron Mans Avengers end scene?

I'm now getting too many end scenes confused. But in general, yes, I think "X-Men 2" was as good or better than "Avengers" as far as comic book movies go. I thought "Avengers" worked best in its character development but I don't feel like Whedon (who I have tremendous respect for as a writer) really does a great job with the action direction (to be sure: I think this is a common affliction, not unique to him).

Oh, on that list of "best comic book films", I don't know how I forgot this but "The Incredibles." True, not actually based on a comic book but obviously in the genre and just one of the most perfectly executed action films I've watched.

In any case, I'd totally go see "Avengers" again. I really thought the character interaction and development was superb and on that level, it's among there with the best in the genre.

Not to diss Bon Vivant but "Hellboy"? Really? Insanely awesome art direction but jesus, that's about the best you can say about either 1 or 2.

• thats x-men 3....x-men two is nightcrawler, weapon x, stryker etc.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I do wonder how they'll develop Cap in the next sequel. Really don't need a Thor 2 but I liked him here.

Completely agree on Ruffalo. Also, the Thor movie was way better than I expected (much more so than Cap). Was never a big fan of either so that's saying something.

mannybolone said:
    I'd still put Dark Knight and X-Men 2 ahead of this. Not sure about Iron Man 1. Where does Superman 2 fall for folks?

Iron Man 1 ranks neck and neck with Dark Knight as one of, if not the best, comic book movie adaptations ever IMO. I don't even remember X-Men 2 :/

All of this is subjective, but overall Avengers did what it was supposed to on all levels. I wonder how long Marvel can keep this up as a franchise without another Fantastic 4.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    day said:
    mannybolone said:
    All of this is subjective, but overall Avengers did what it was supposed to on all levels. I wonder how long Marvel can keep this up as a franchise without another Fantastic 4.
    They've sold the rights to F4 though haven't they, just like with Spiderman? Or did you mean - without an Avengers-related movie bombing hard?

Also, the first Hellboy is great. Hellboy 2 is okay. For me - they're a cut above the Iron Man movies. Both Iron Mans suffer from weak-finale-syndrome - the first one is great despite that, Iron Man 2's story is sort of a mess - but still decent.

I agree that both IronMans have weak climaxes.

I dunno but every climax scene in all the previous flicks didnt have the same impact as the Avengers for me.

ive always wanted those movies to let the heroes go all out. The avengers has like a whole second act where its just stright up action.
    and all the heroes got to show off their powers. No love story , no clinging backstory, just str8 up action with powers.....like a comic book.

Hellboy is great. But it aint fuckin with The Avengers.

The climax of all the Xmen movies is Magneto doing something fantastic. Its getting tired.

Did anyone see Chronicle. Im watching this shit on Blu ray now and its good.

Superpowers steez. XMen without the comic book feel but not Heroes with superheroes wearing Banana Republic for regular folks that dont like spandex.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Oh, on that list of "best comic book films", I don't know how I forgot this but "The Incredibles." True, not actually based on a comic book but obviously in the genre and just one of the most perfectly executed action films I've watched. .

YES.

batmon said:
    I agree that both IronMans have weak climaxes.

I dunno but every climax scene in all the previous flicks didnt have the same impact as the Avengers for me.

ive always wanted those movies to let the heroes go all out. The avengers has like a whole second act where its just stright up action.
    and all the heroes got to show off their powers. No love story , no clinging backstory, just str8 up action with powers.....like a comic book.

Hellboy is great. But it aint fuckin with The Avengers.

The climax of all the Xmen movies is Magneto doing something fantastic. Its getting tired.

1) I thought Hulk saving Iron Man at the end of Avenges was surprisingly moving. It speaks to how well this Hulk was envisioned and executed. Seriously, can't say enough about how well Whedon and Ruffalo handled Hulk here after the previous two awkward attempts. But in general, that whole "NYC getting destroyed" shit is tired as fuck to me. For one, Zack Penn did a better job with that with "Cloverdale" which - for all its other faults (i.e. the fact you don't care about any of the characters) made you feel like Manhattan was this insanely dangerous place to be. With Avengers, a bunch of poorly rendered CGI green goblin-like aliens and those giant space sturgeons just felt like a take on a Michael Bay disaster sequence. All excess, insufficient nuance.

2) All for "show off their powers" but again, the set piece just didn't work for me in most parts. Hulk and Thor going BONKERS on fools was fun as hell though. Black Widow shooting armored space aliens with a pair of pistols? Not so much.

3) Magneto doesn't really do a ton in X2 at the end. Mostly, it's a lot of Wolverine and Mystique kicking ass.

batmon said:

Not to diss Bon Vivant but "Hellboy"? Really? Insanely awesome art direction but jesus, that's about the best you can say about either 1 or 2.

No offense taken, mang.