Do you do "outside" ebay deals?

finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Fox example you listed a certain record on ebay and somebody is offering you amount x money to buy it instantly.
Can anybody share some experiences with it?

At the moment I'm considering to do it... A guy offered me about double the amount it usualy goes for. On the other hand this is a quiet rare
record which rarely turns up in mint condition... It's not impossible that some crazy bidding war will happen on this auction.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush - True or not?

Comments

• if no one has placed a bid on the item, put a reserve on it for the amount he offered. also state the reserve price in the description, so you don't scare away any bidders. if it doesn't go for at least that amount, he can buy it from you directly after the auction is finished. i've sold directly to people before this way.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    speakmumbles said:
    if no one has placed a bid on the item, put a reserve on it for the amount he offered. also state the reserve price in the description, so you don't scare away any bidders. if it doesn't go for at least that amount, he can buy it from you directly after the auction is finished. i've sold directly to people before this way.

good idea from a sellers point of view, not so much for the one who wants to buy it instantly. He has to wait until the auction ends and he misses
    the chance to buy it cheaper than his offer was in case the auction doesn't reach the reserve price.
    Hard to believe that people accept this.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    I did this about a year or two ago. A guy offered me 50 dollars for two copies of a whipped acid archive type lp. I said what the he'll and listed them as buy it now, and someone beats him to the punch on the cleaner of the two copies. He buys the other but wants me to cancel the other sale, I told him I'm trying to build positive feedback and I'm sorry it didnt work out. He pays for the record, it ships, no feedback.

Another time I went back and forth with a dude on a price for buy it now and when we came to agreement, I was lucky enough to check on it before anyone else pulled the trigger and all was good.

Haven't checked buy maybe the make an offer tab costs the seller skrill? Buy it now can be risky from my limited experience

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I recently had a BIN up for a grand. A dude wanted it, but he told me it would take him 2 weeks to get the money and wanted it very badly, so he asked me to take it down so no one else would get it. So, I did, and it was good for me because he did indeed pay for it in 2 weeks time and I didn't have to give Ebay fees on a $1000 sale...it was a good thing for both of us. I would do it again as well... fuck eBay.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hoox situation is different. Dude did BIN but on deferred terms. Between them they finessed a large corporation and I ain't mad at that.

In FLW's case, dude decided to auction. Stand by that decision.
    Personal integrity should be vitally important to a man's psyche.
    How others perceive your integrity is vitally important to your whole life.
    It's about the only thing you have, and is way more important than a bit of extra poppy in the here and now.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    skel said:
    Hoox situation is different. Dude did BIN but on deferred terms. Between them they finessed a large corporation and I ain't mad at that.

In FLW's case, dude decided to auction. Stand by that decision.
    Personal integrity should be vitally important to a man's psyche.
    How others perceive your integrity is vitally important to your whole life.
    It's about the only thing you have, and is way more important than a bit of extra poppy in the here and now.

Good advise!
    But honestly speaking I don't think my personal integrity or my psyche would suffer one bit if I accept his offer, especially as there are no bids on the record yet.
    Ebay's income would suffer for sure, though.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    I do it often long as your sure its a good price, even with bids on it doesn't matter, take the money ! save those robbin' ebay fees !
    Dont remove it from ebay till payment is received and remember you cant remove it if there's less than 12 hours left before the finish

gaz said:
    I do it often long as your sure its a good price, even with bids on it doesn't matter, take the money ! save those robbin' ebay fees !
    Dont remove it from ebay till payment is received and remember you cant remove it if there's less than 12 hours left before the finish

What I did is to keep the auction and change everything to sell another record in it. This way i havn't wasted the listing fee.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Way to go

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Why do people do this?
    "I will pay you you 2x, 3x what the record sells for if you end the auction and sell it to me now." Why?

I do very little ebay, but I had a punk 45 that a guy offered twice what I was hoping to get.
    I told him no, let the auction play out.
    He did not bid and it went for less than what I was hoping and a lot less than what he offered?
    So why didn't he bid and get it cheap?
    Makes no sense to me.