Adam Yauch: rip

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    R.I.P. I will be playing the Paul's Boutique lp this weekend in tribute.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    dj_cityboy said:

big question i have is what happens now? look at Run DMC when JMJ died....or Fat Boys when Buff Died...

Hologram.

ha ha ha ha

• I still can't believe this to an extent. One of my favorite MCs from one of my favorite hip hop groups is gone. Strange thing, though, was that I had been playing a lot of "Hello Nasty" and "Ill Communication" the past few weeks. I hadn't touched them in a good long while, but when I put them on I just kept playing them and playing them over and over. The Beasties all have iconic voices, but MCA's stood out the most in my mind. Maybe it was because of the raspiness compared to the higher-pitched sounds of Ad-Rock and Mike D, but his voice was unforgettable. And it always will be so.

Sad that cancer took his life, but I aim to celebrate it by playing his music. Rest well, Adam.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Massive RIP. He was always Beastie numero uno for me. This is really sad news.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I am absolutely gutted by this. One of my favorite groups ever. Beastie Boys provided the soundtrack to some of the greatest times in my life. I am so saddened to hear this. RIP MCA.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Very sad, 47 is way too young. I'm a big fan. Great voice.

Having kids myself, this kind of thing scares the crap out of me. At least his family will know how much he meant to people, not that changes the fact that he is gone.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    On a related note, this coming Sunday my kids and I will be having a lemonade stand with all proceeds going to Alex's lemonade foundation for childhood cancer: http://www.alexslemonade.org/

I urge anyone with youts to get in on this.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey 'Strutters,

Wow, this one really hits home for me as I am one the absolute biggest Beastie Boy fans. I enjoyed watching them evolve from punkers, to b-boys, rockers, and in the process, they became hip-hop legends. MCA's gravelly voice and pinpoint lyrics served as the foundation of the group, and great counterpart to Adrock's nasal flow and Mike D's odd, sometimes offbeat delivery. Rest in peace, Mr. Yauch. You will be greatly missed, but your musical legacy will live on forever.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I listen to cd's in my office at work, and I grab 4 or 5 each morning to bring with me. I had not brought in any Beasties for quite awhile, but grabbed Ill Communication this morning, before hearing about any of this. I'll definitely be playing lots of Beasties in the next week or two. I feel fortunate to have seen MCA and the Beasties back in Lollapalooza 1994. They completely tore the joint up. Smashing Pumpkins came on after them and were a completely snoozefest in comparison. These dudes had so much energy and fun, and put out some incredible albums. RIP. And Fuck cancer.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Damn!!! RIP

Paul??s Boutique was the first rap record I ever bought and since that I??ve been a huge fan.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    damn damn damn

considering the role Beastie Boys played in my life and the development of my musical tastes, this is an incredibly hard pill to swallow.

RIP

• EL CHAMACOEL CHAMACO 96 Posts
    Horrible news to start the day with. I was just talking with a
    friend last night who used to work for Grand Royal. I knew
    something was up when after the release of Hot Sauce not
    one show was played. It's one thing not doing a tour but
    not even a TV appearance told me Yauch was in a bad way.
    Bless his heart. You could hear on the last record how his
    voice was obviously not the same. I've never stopped listening
    to their music and just recently purchased two copies of the
    Pauls Boutique 7" box set. Have nothing but respect and
    admiration for everything that they stood for and feel my life
    has been enriched by their collective presence. MCA, thank
    you for the music.

• countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
    I remember my friend had the license to ill VHS tape and as a 6th grader I thought these guys were Gods with the naked girls in cages and spraying beer all over the place.

RIP Adam Yauch!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It's a little overwhelming reading some of the reactions on Twitter. Cosmo's timeline just turned into an amazing, facemelting reminiscence about how the Beasties changed his life, and you had rappers from Big Boi to Killer Mike to Kweli to Busta to El-P to Tip to Ghost all giving him props. MCA was loved by fans and peers alike.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    RIP to a hip hop legend. Way too young, leaving a wife and kid. I played Paul's Boutique this afternoon and have The In Sound From Way Out on the turntable.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    countmacula said:
    I remember my friend had the license to ill VHS tape and as a 6th grader I thought these guys were Gods with the naked girls in cages and spraying beer all over the place.

RIP Adam Yauch!

I was at the show where they filmed the footage for the "Rhymin & Stealin" video that's on that tape. That was one of the greatest shows I have ever been to, my voice was totally hoarse for days because I was screaming out every word to every song. I cannot believe it was 25 years ago. Something tells me I'm gonna be drunkenly reciting MCA lyrics all weekend...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I'ma get drunk and steal a VW badge again.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    such a damn shame.

RIP

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    My fav Yauch moment was from the time they played the Concert Hall here in Toronto for Paul's Boutique and MCA jumped off the giant speaker towering over the crowd.

RIP

YES!

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Here's one that always got me with this band...

I remember "Check Your Head," was the first and last thing I stole- on tape, the week it came out. Played the shit out of it.
    Dug backwards in the catalog, but that was the "discovery," album.

Now, I was never a punk/hardcore dude... Just never migrated to my hometown like other sounds. So, when I saw this performance on SNL when Ill Communication came out- well, MIND = BLOWN. I'd never heard so many different things happening- I mean, this comes out of some serious funk shit, and all of a sudden-----

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8x6ln_beastie-boys-heart-attack-man-live_music

This says a lot- I heard this on sports radio today, and they broke in with "Breaking News," to say this. That is transcending your field. The guy just broke in and said, "Breaking News, and this just sucks...."

RIP to a true legend.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    The Beastie Boys are legendary. RIP Adam Yauch.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    One thing I always loved about the Beastie Boys is how they embraced every stage of their career. They would throw in hardcore tunes, like heart attack man, while on SNL. They would play instrumental jams between rap songs, and just basically rock songs from every album. It made for such an exciting live show and really a dynamic career.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    What a loss.... :(

I love the BB as a unit but yeah MCA was my fav out of the bunch.... RIP

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    In the early 90s I was on tour with two of my friends punk bands across the United States. We were in Colorado and we heard the Beasties were playing at the University there. We didn't have any money, so we showed up, and spent a good two hours trying to sneak into that place. We climbed through a window into the girls bathroom, but they started screaming at us so we climbed back out. We went up a backway to run into security. We tried to sneak across the football field, but security saw us again and gave us a chase. Towards the very end of the Beasties' set however, they opened up the door, and we got to see a good 5-6 songs, because they did two encores. That night I will always remember for the fun of being a delinquent, and for getting to see them for my one and only time.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Anyone got a link to that short movie they did with actors playing them? Will Farrel and others were in it.

• minimini 879 Posts

• We walked all over our city today (city wide car-boot sale related), people everywhere had the Beasties playing in the crib, car or portable. It was incredible.

"M.C.A. was with it and he's my ace
    So I grabbed the piano player and I punched him in the face
    The piano player's out - the music stopped
    His boy had beef - and he got dropped
    Mike D. grabbed the money - M.C.A. snatched the gold
    I grabbed two girlies and a beer that's cold."

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This one hurts. Like so many, that band, that man, that voice meant so much to me.

The Beasties came to represent something so much bigger than music, so much more than just songs. They soundtracked a generation.

Incredibly sad news - I am gutted.

RIP to one of the greats.