new mackie dj mixer?!

OXYCONTINOXYCONTIN 115 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.mackie.com/products/d2/splash.htmli don't believe it's out yet but... anyone fuck with this?

Comments

• I saw the info on this a little while back, but I'm always a bit skeptical when a company who doesn't come from a DJ background starts to mess with something new. Behringer & Tascam tried the DJ mixer game, but both were not very good products.

Firewire port is cool though - making that move to integrate a soundcard into mixers is a good look.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Tascam tried the DJ mixer game, but both were not very good products.

That's a piece of misinformation right there. The Tascam was basically a rebranded Ecler Hak 320, a VERY good mixer.

BTW, the Mackie D2 actually seems kinda shitty iffn you asking me.

Lots of not so much problems as disappointments and waste of innovation. If the FW port only can be used as playthrough, why not add some midi controls? Simply just using a FW port as playthrough seems excessive given the price of the optional FW soundcard for the D2.

I have other reasons why I think this mixer is a waste but eh...

• Firewire = iPod ??

Firewire = iPod ??

nope...

You're just gonna be able to connect it to a laptop or some other computer with a FW port.

i read the specs and the only raelyl good thing abotu the mixer is that the FW port has Asio drivers, so the mixer can be hacked in the future to do things that it wasn't originally intended.

I'm pretty sure the guy over at djdecks.be will have djdjecks running with it as soon as/if he can get one to test with.

I will say that Mackie Tracktion is my favorite daw and peice of music software ever!!!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    eh...looks like a rane too

• parenparen 537 Posts
    eh. dildo.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    eh. dildo.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Firewire = iPod ??

Is Apple discontinuing Firewire alltogether, or just on the iPods?

(fyi, the new iPods DO NOT have firewire)

Mackie migh want to look into USB2 if they are gonna play up the Apple compatibility,

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Just on the iPods as far as I heard.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Two years ago I deejayed in LA with the Black Eyed Peas dj whoever he is? he told me they were all coming up to seattle to help design a dj mixer for mackie and asked if I would be interested to get involved. i said of course and never heard from them again! So this local dj around town that only has local deejaying experience is all of the sudden the "Dude" over at mackie and is in their ads and everything! The dude dj Tone that does the demo on the site. I'm not hatin or nothing but we have legendary dudes like myself, and Donald Glaude and dmc champs like Scene & Dv One and they have Tone as their dude? That's my guy so it's all good but kinda strange to me. I'm right here and I have been leaving them messages with no call backs. I got somedude over there one day on the phone and get talking about an endorsement etc. and he says oh yeah we know who you are your already on the sponsorship list and your getting a free mixer any day now! That was last week, so i don't know what's up but I'm gonna lean on them for sure. Rane def took care of me but my contract ran out. Rane and Mackie are both from Seattle.

• Two years ago I deejayed in LA with the Black Eyed Peas dj whoever he is? he told me they were all coming up to seattle to help design a dj mixer for mackie and asked if I would be interested to get involved. i said of course and never heard from them again! So this local dj around town that only has local deejaying experience is all of the sudden the "Dude" over at mackie and is in their ads and everything! The dude dj Tone that does the demo on the site. I'm not hatin or nothing but we have legendary dudes like myself, and Donald Glaude and dmc champs like Scene & Dv One and they have Tone as their dude? That's my guy so it's all good but kinda strange to me. I'm right here and I have been leaving them messages with no call backs. I got somedude over there one day on the phone and get talking about an endorsement etc. and he says oh yeah we know who you are your already on the sponsorship list and your getting a free mixer any day now! That was last week, so i don't know what's up but I'm gonna lean on them for sure. Rane def took care of me but my contract ran out. Rane and Mackie are both from Seattle.

that's interesting.
    i don't know dj tone... he seems aight though...
    i'm feelin some of the features of this mixer... i think it might turn out as good as the rane...