Warner Brothers label question...

JustaloniousJustalonious 54 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
What is the difference between the green WB label and the ones with the trees and street on them? Which one is first? The Reason I am asking is cause I have the Earth Wind And Fire S/T with both labels...which one is the OG?I am guessing green came first, but what is the story with the other label?Thanks!

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Gold/grey = early/mid 60's
    green "7 arts" = late 60's
    green "sheild" = early 70's
    "trees" = mid/late 70's

EWF S/T OG is the green one

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    hcrink beat me to it, all correct. By 1978, they replaced the Burbank trees label with the beige one with lines.

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours (1977) had the trees
    Funkadelic's One Nation Under A Groove (1978) had the beige label

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    hcrink beat me to it, all correct. By 1978, they replaced the Burbank trees label with the beige one with lines.

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours (1977) had the trees
    Funkadelic's One Nation Under A Groove (1978) had the beige label

...and even then - that Funkadelic album had the beige label, but the bonus EP had them palm trees! (transitional release?)

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    ...and even then - that Funkadelic album had the beige label, but the bonus EP had them palm trees! (transitional release?)

Hold on for a moment. I was going to say beforehand that if there were any copies of One Nation Under A Groove with the trees label, I want it.

Now you're saying copies of the EP came in the trees label as well? When I... wait, when my mom bought me a copy at Woolwooth at Ala Moana Shopping Center in 1978, that copy was beige. Do you still have yours and if so, care to post a scan if you are capable of doing so?

• Thanks hcrink and jombolaya for the info......

I figured that the trees might have come later...

that sorts out another one too...Herbie Hancock's Fat Albert Rotunda. I have one of these in both the green and trees label.

trees to ebay!

thanks again boyos!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Hold on for a moment. I was going to say beforehand that if there were any copies of One Nation Under A Groove with the trees label, I want it.

Now you're saying copies of the EP came in the trees label as well? When I... wait, when my mom bought me a copy at Woolwooth at Ala Moana Shopping Center in 1978, that copy was beige.

I was a kid when I bought my copy in spring '79 (ironically enough, also at a shopping mall) and that's the way it came. And the innersleeve had the words to the songs (as opposed to the one advertising Limo, the 1977 mail-order comp of WB releases). Still have it, but I'm not capable of posting a scan.

I'm guessing this was one of the first WB releases with the beige label, but they hadn't 100% made the transition, which is why the 7" bonus EP still rocked the palm-tree design.