Weekday Buys/Trades/Finds/Makes/Etc.

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Lp'sImage hosted by Photobucket.com12":Malcolm McLaren & The World Famous Supreme Team -- Buffalo GirlsGrace Jones -- JA Guys (dub version)45's:Prime Mates -- hot tamalesRuby Andrews -- hound dogRipple -- willie pass the waterSugar Billy -- super duper loveJJ Barnes -- chains of loveMoondog and his friends -- dragons teeth, voices of spring, oasis, tree frog, be a hoboThe Cherries & the Rhythm Kings -- make my life worth livingW. Williams & His Blues Men -- mississippi round houseLarry Birdsong -- pleadin' for loveFrankie Karl & the Dreams -- don't be afraid (do as I say)Makes:Made these screen-printed pillows for a project when I was at school.Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    THOSE PILLOWS ARE DOPE!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This 50-year-old dude I play ice hockey with rolled on me outside the rink last night, telling me he had a bunch of records he was going to throw out unless I wanted them. I flipped through and there were many rinked 60's stones records and such, but besides the John Cougar American Fool was his son's 80's hip hop shit, nothing mind melting, but surprisingly clean copies of Tommy Boy's Greatest Beats, Street Beat 2, "King of Rock" LP and Fat Boys S/T, a whole mess of Roxanne 12", from both UTFO jams to the "I'm Roxanne's Mother" 12" to best of all Roxanne Shante "Queen of Rox" on Pop Art...best of the whole lot was either N.W.A. "Express Yourself" OG 12" in ps, or Too Short "I Ain't Trippin'" ps 12".

Not bad for free.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    yo lemme holler at those pillows and nunchucks

thanks

• 45's

EDDIE BO - Fallin' In Love Again / What You Gonna Do (Seven B)
    THEE MIDNIGHTERS - Land Of A 1000 Dances
    DEL CANTO's - Feel Aw Right pt. 1&2
    DYKE & THE BLAZERS - So Sharp / Don't Bug Me
    FANTASTIC GOSPEL TRAVELERS - The Lord Will Make Away (Designer)Yeah!
    GARY US BONDS - The Music Goes Round and Round / Ella Is Yella
    SMOOCHIE - It's All Your Fault
    COOKIE & HIS CUPCAKES - I Cried
    JIMMY LEWIS - I'm Stepping Out
    OLYMPICS - Dodge City
    And the facemelter...
    CHANGIN" TYMES - Blue Music Box (M.U.M.A.- Memphis Underground Music Association) RAER GARAGE!!!

LP's

YES!!!

WILLIAM BELL - Bound To Happen

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I'd tap old school Inez. She looks bangin.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    yo lemme holler at those pillows and nunchucks

thanks

I was going to start a thread called "floss your weapon of choice." But I was afaid I would see some jpg's I would be better off not seeing....

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Shaggs pillow...

• John Fahey with stuffed beaver pillow is my favorite.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

I so need that poster in the background!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Is this where I should post my celebrity sightings? Was at Home Depot and saw this dude from the Shins buying plumbing supplies. Apparently, their going on tour tomorrow. The lame part of this whole post is I don't even really know who these guys are except that they had a song(s) in that graduate rip-off movie. I just eavesdropped on the whole thing.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/r3xurdx.jpg>

nothing mind-blowing, but the fact that this haul cost me a total of $30 at HALF-PRICE BOOKS of all places makes it worth posting. that place has been reeeally shitty when pricing things i want lately. looks like somebody made a "mistake" and put $2.98 price tags on most of these. whoops!

half of these were just mint-ups anyway. that sergio mendes is good! hadnt seen it and the cover + record were stone mint.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Is this where I should post my celebrity sightings? Was at Home Depot and saw this dude from the Shins buying plumbing supplies. Apparently, their going on tour tomorrow. The lame part of this whole post is I don't even really know who these guys are except that they had a song(s) in that graduate rip-off movie. I just eavesdropped on the whole thing.
    wait, horatio sans is in the shins?

That Mendes Trio LP is a favorite of mine.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    He was in the group but left to join SNL. Toally changed the group ala Clapton leaving the Yardbirds.

• THOSE PILLOWS ARE DOPE!

cosign

How hard is DIY silk screening? I just have visions of those kids in the movie Lean on me screening those shirts.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

nothing mind-blowing, but the fact that this haul cost me a total of $30 at HALF-PRICE BOOKS of all places makes it worth posting. that place has been reeeally shitty when pricing things i want lately. looks like somebody made a "mistake" and put $2.98 price tags on most of these. whoops!

half of these were just mint-ups anyway. that sergio mendes is good! hadnt seen it and the cover + record were stone mint.

man Half Price Books is one of the best places to find raer for cheap! They almost never know what they have!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

man Half Price Books is one of the worst places to find raer! They almost never have anything!

some more weekday goodies.
    10th victim -- Pierro Picconi (found it sealed too from 1965!)
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Andy Bey -- Experience and Judgement
    Aaron Neville -- like it 'tis
    Eddie Gale -- ghetto music
    Sun Ra & the Cosmic Rays -- Daddy's gonna tell you no lie/Dreaming (favorite songs of the moment)

• I'd tap old school Inez. She looks bangin.

she's got quite a powerful forehead.

• 10th victim -- Pierro Picconi (found it sealed too from 1965!)

Any comments about this? I remember seeing the movie in mid-90s. Great film with cool images, locations and interior design, but I just don't remember what the music was like...

picked up a couple things today.

Eddie Palmieri - Justice/Justicia - Tico 1969[/b] nice find, OG with a little h20 damage along the bottom and vg+ vinyl for under $8...this thing has some fantastic moments on it, really strong album.

Sonny & Brownie etc - Book of Numbers OST - Brut 1973[/b] haven't spun it yet, but the diversity of tracks is promising, with some modern country blues, one soul track & a 7 minute MOOG track.

Little Sonny - Black & Blue - Enterprise 1973 [/b] very satisfying blues LP that benefits mucho from the Bar Kays backing up on horn & rhythm sections - tons of tracks, including 3 tough instrumentals featuring Sonny's harp playing with the Bar Kays tight as all hell. braeks, too.

Also, in the mail from a Soul Strut set sale, a sweet & minty mono OG of this bad boy:

Thanks to JKriss for this one, and for also throwing in a dope Lee "Shot" Williams 45 as a bonus, showing once again:

People really do win on Soul Strut!

10th victim -- Pierro Picconi (found it sealed too from 1965!)
    Any comments about this? I remember seeing the movie in mid-90s. Great film with cool images, locations and interior design, but I just don't remember what the music was like...

I haven't had the chance to play it yet (or break the seal). I've only heard good things about it and remember friends saying it was a mix of loungy swinging jazz, free jazz and proto-electronica. The same friend hipped me to the Sweet Sweetback soundtrack and Comme la Radio, so I'm sure it's crazy shit. I'm looking foward to listening to it.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    Glad to c the dozier got there alright man. sorry again for the troubles wit the other stuff. Thanx

JKriss

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Both minty copies of The L.A. Four "Scores!" (Concord, 75) and the Australian Jazz Quartet (Bethlehem BCP39, early 60s)

• Both minty copies of The L.A. Four "Scores!" (Concord, 75)

Is L.A. Four RAER? Seen it but forgot to go back and get it. It was only a buck or two.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Both minty copies of The L.A. Four "Scores!" (Concord, 75)

Is L.A. Four RAER? Seen it but forgot to go back and get it. It was only a buck or two.

some of their records sell for a bit of $$

• Both minty copies of The L.A. Four "Scores!" (Concord, 75)

some of their records sell for a bit of $$

SHHEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

Not really. I don't know about other parts of the country, but I see Concord Jazz records constantly around these parts. Most of them are from the late 70s-early 80s and pretty cookie-cutter, in my opinion. This one is from '75 and has a standout flute and Latin accoustic guitar track with strong drums. The rest is very good too. I've seen it go on Ebay for at most $15 before.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Not really. I don't know about other parts of the country, but I see Concord Jazz records constantly around these parts. Most of them are from the late 70s-early 80s and pretty cookie-cutter, in my opinion. This one is from '75 and has a standout flute and Latin accoustic guitar track with strong drums. The rest is very good too. I've seen it go on Ebay for at most $15 before.

T*te The FunkyExample not only put me up on this record, but GAVE me the copy he had just dropped loot on.

I HEART THAT DUDE.

Herm