Hector Lavoe (latin rr)

2»

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Hey guys, iam not posting for pity its just i had a spliffedout session and set up all these mp3s so might as well deliver em

And por favor contribute sumthin...
    Anyone, you guys seemed down
    quoting myself

• This is a greatest hits type of album compiled by Al Santiago, the legendary producer and Descarga contributor. He basically went to a few of the old 78s Cortijo and Maelo put out and combined them with tunes released on other albums. Whether you buy this depends on how many Cortijo and Maelo records you have. If you have a lot, a look at the tunes may suggest you don't need it. Personally, I have quite a few of their records and haven't seen some of the tunes on original albums, like "Soy buena gente." So for me it's worth it. And if you don't have any of their stuff, it's a must. It really shows off the sound in that band, why they made the impact they did when they came on the scene. I mean, just check out "Soy del campo". I don't know what rhythm it is, but I definitely hear that Puerto Rican folkloric flavor in there, but with a dance energy drive that few bands then (and much less today) could match. These guys were just raw and funky, straight from the black barrios of Santurce and Carolina, and they put Puerto Rican music on the map. Sure, they didn't play bomba with barriles, they used Cuban congas, but they became symbols of Puerto Rican sabor, changing people's perception of Puerto Rican folkloric music from "hicky" to "hip". It's because of them I love bomba. Listen to "Bomba ae". Instead of the rocking, slow-tempoed bomba you usually hear, this has speed and fire, not to mention Maelo's cool stuttering entry and tongue-twisting vocals. Plus, these guys were also masters of Cuban music, adding their own original take. Check the vocal harmony that opens the tune "Soy buena gente" and how the saxes swing.

Everything on this album is fantastic, I could write till your eyeballs hurt from reading this onscreen. But just some quick last points. "D??jala" shows off Maelo's unique ability to phrase, especially with the open. "Borinquen" shows more of the same, not to mention his songwriting ability; that is one well-written number. "C??cala": don't know what it means, but damn is it catchy, and NOT in the noxious, frightening way that "Livin la Vida Loca" is. (An aside: Ricky Martin must be stopped! But how??? He's like a pop music Count Dracula, I don't think he can be killed, even with a stake.) "La soledad" shows off the street side of Maelo, the grittiness, the phrasing that soneros unknowingly copy to this day. Almost forgot about Cortijo. You can't hear his conga much, but he's there, steady as a rock, anchoring the sound and leading one of the greatest bands in Latin music history. And this is a sampler of their greatness, no crap, no greasy kid stuff. Just the real. Like Felipe Luciano said, pure P.R. barbecue. Somebody save me a pata off that lech??n! by Abel Delgado May 14, 2000

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Nice review

These guys were just raw and funky, straight from the black barrios of Santurce and Carolina

Straight up a lot of latin-african-americans we're bringning the heat to salsa
    Joe Arroyo is a great example

I was thinking of another PR band with a similar name that has a great black signer that dances like a badass (old school cuba style) help me out
    Anybody know there name ressembles fruko y sus tesos

Finally if anyone is in any latin american country pick up pirate salsa dvd's

All these pimp suit, salsa signer with a girl videos are classic and anytime a signer or orchestra hit up a dance routine. Thats that shit.

finally
    Soulstrut has been repping Fania, Cotique, Tico and all sorts of other Latin labels for the longest, as well as the Fania movies. [/b] .

Anyone have some? Especially the Fania All-Stars__Live in the Bronx
    Live outdoor concerts and dancing in the ghetto. Baretto stoner type interviews. Crazy Lavoe/ruiz recording sessions.
    it is simply

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Personal favourite
    Joe Arroyo-No le pegue a la Negra
    This Arroyo song about ???la historia negra???la historia nuestra??? always get to me. Heard a many times in the back of a Peruvian cab, the horn hits??? and a great message

Salsa???s musical origins emanate from African rhythms. However it is interesting to look at some marriage between salsa and african music, with a more salsa twist.

Ill post about some groups like cheb faudel and africando next...