Hector Lavoe (latin rr)

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Hey guys throughout my year of lurking one thing stuck outSoulstrut doesnt seem to show any love to latin recordsExcept for the passing comment on Baretto, i see no mention of greats like Hector Lavoe, Celia, Ruben Blades,Oscar deleon, gran comboFania is an incredible label and arrangers like Johnny Pacheco are So wassup is it cuase yall dont know about this, dont like salsa or just not priority.On a side note Jlo and marc anthony are teaming up for a hector lavoe bio-movie Also when in peru this guy i met while digging showed me this fania all-stars live in the bronx VHS anyone have a copy?

Comments

• There's PLENTY of salsa/fania love going on on soulstrut. You aren't lurking hard enough.

Check out those mixes that deepstank put up - can someone re-host?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Good to know
    Ill up a mix myself

Check out those mixes that deepstank put up - can someone re-host?
    That would be ill

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hey guys throughout my year of lurking one thing stuck out

Soulstrut doesnt seem to show any love to latin records

Except for the passing comment on Baretto, i see no mention of greats like Hector Lavoe, Celia, Ruben Blades,Oscar deleon, gran combo
    Fania is an incredible label and arrangers like Johnny Pacheco are

So wassup is it cuase yall dont know about this, dont like salsa or just not priority.

On a side note Jlo and marc anthony are teaming up for a hector lavoe bio-movie

Also when in peru this guy i met while digging showed me this fania all-stars live in the bronx VHS
    anyone have a copy?

I ain't heard of that.

Seriously though, I would say most people on SoulStrut are only interested in Latin music to the extent that it sounds like funk.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Soulstrut doesnt seem to show any love to latin records

Soulstrut has been repping Fania, Cotique, Tico and all sorts of other Latin labels for the longest, as well as the Fania movies.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Seriously though, I would say most people on SoulStrut are only interested in Latin music to the extent that it sounds like funk.

I was guessing that however they should pay more attention because salsa is a very interesting music genre

-breaks for days (intros, and conga galore)

-great history: fania label, cocaine addictions , shifting musical styles
    Ruben blades from pop to his 70's phase

-cross-sountry styles(puerto-rico,african salsa, S.America)

-good diggin factor (hispanic-speaking countries are full of stuff)

-and crazy dancing to boot.

Dont sleep is all im saying (I used to think that it was all dance, but a friend opened my eyes) some tracks are just irresistible no matter your tastes

Ill try to post some.

Anyone else got love for salsa/bolero/latin?

• I've repped Hector Lavoe (and real salsa, not just funk hybrids) on here plenty.

TO ALL WHO MAY STEP: HECTOR LAVOE CRUSHES YOUR PUNY FUNK FUSION BULLSHIT.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Yo, 50% of my record collection is Salsa records with naked chicks on the front!

Also I'm about to make a mix with a bunch of latin and caribbean ish that will have a lil bit of Barretto and Mongo, but also a ton of unknown stuff, from cumbias to compas to disco braeks. Soon as I fix my soundcard.

• I think there's more than enough people on here who are into straight ahead salsa. Not to say I'm mad at latin stuff with funk influences, but I have way more hardcore salsa in my crates than any crossover type stuff.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    DA FOOSION CRUSHA

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    some cool genres of latin music (specificaly Mexican) you folks should check out:

Narco-Corridos, this book is supposed to be a real good intro but the man Hermilo is holidn out on lending it to me for soe reason adn I haven't gotten around to buying it:

Mexican Sones, this CD BOX set "Anthologia del son de Mexico" is a good place to start if you can find it:

Mariachi: anything buy this guy is worth your time:

Silvestre Vargas[/b]

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Narco-Corridos, this book is supposed to be a real good intro but the man Hermilo is holidn out on lending it to me for soe reason adn I haven't gotten around to buying it:

I think I let somebody borrow it but I can't remember who!!!

Herm

Hermie get up in here (nh) w/ some key Tigres cuts for the people to check for!

--- Oh yeah, these nuns in my avatar are some Mexican Garage Rock Nuns w/ beats YO!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i've got a dvd with performances by the fania all-stars doing "ciphers" just freestyle singing over the bands music.........as well as performences by hector lavoe and many others.

by the way hector lavoe's-"de ti depende" is

used to hate salsa and latin music growing up.....now some salsa brings me back to my youth (damn what youth i'm 22!!!!)........my mother had a box of spanish records years ago and threw them away back in 97, that still haunts me.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    hecot lavoe is the shit... i used to dj at one bar where the main bartender was puerto rican and heard me play hector lavoe once and after that he always made sure i played some...

aquanile by willie colon is my fav hector lavoe jam...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

El Gran Combo_El Menu

Here is one salsa track i found online however i will post heat as soon as i get home

hecor lavoe is the shit...
    Ive repped Hector Lavoe on this board

Props, definitely artist/discography

also

One of the great arrangers/bandleader (salsa) and flute player (latin jazz)

and so many more: Victor Ruiz,La sonora carruseles, oscar de leon...

Glad to see the love is not gone

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    yeah man as lavoe's producer willie colon was incredible, f-it he was just plain incredible.......salsa is like the JB'S to me, in the sense that it's music that relaxes me, but that the general population doesn't realy see it as "relaxing" music.

hearing the musicanship/songwriting on these albums make me so proud of being puerto rican

by the way fuck reggaeton it's

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hector lavoe:

do not sleep on a common and cheap LP with a bad charlie chaplin cover.

looks like this:

beautiful LP. one 12 minute tune that'll blow your mind, beautiful production, gorgeous string arrangements. the man is a legend.

you need not pay more than $8 for this LP.

there you have it.... love for hector lavoe.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Alright if you remember i said
    I'll post some heat as soon as i get home
    Well i never got home until late then stayed up preparing this shit

So here you are first off HECTOR LAVOE
    What to say about this legend. Hailing from Puerto Rico (which became a hub for salsa greatness), ???La voz??? as they called him was one of Fania???s biggest stars conquering crowds with his presence and incredible voice.

His troubled and abusive life lead to his untimely demise. But Hector will always be remembered by aficionados as the King of la pura salsa.

El dia de mi suerte is a classic Lavoe cut, horns..guitar???Hector???damn!
    http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2T71MMOZYQ10X3CI7S5DZEADVB

Tumba la tumbadora is Hector???s great collaboration with Tito Puente
    http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1PUCR0TFDYBKT1COJLMXO3K803

Juanita Alimania finds Hector in storytelling mode about life on the streets of PR
    http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1V7J7P4E2NJL30JQ84DUX2NNM5

La Murga is a collaboration with producer Willie Colon (whom I???ll discuss later)
    http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2KN0TEIB3GSPG2X76DGO53ZU37

El Cantante is an incredible song with Hector???s braggadocio shining thru???
    Check the intro the song feels like a tribute to himself from this salsa great
    http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3F8R1VZLDV7MN1MBI752NY9JSY

Extra track: periodico de ayer bad recording off vinyl but Hector shines through???(RIP)
    ]http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1UAJ5MTD0F7941FJ0EZE9E2R89]

The instrumental cut in the middle and outro is
    Enjoy the tracks and feel free to post

Would love to here the dependede de ti or anything of of the chaplin
    Anyone have a better recording of periodico?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Bonus salsa banger
    http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=34FM0NNV28YIG1F2SBFLV8GW90

El preso by Frukos y sus tesos anoher group hailing from Puerto-Rico
    Ill post about PR heavyweights later

The guy from PR can back me up on sayin that Frukos is

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Bonus salsa banger

You sure about that? I thought Fruko was from Colombia.

• El preso by Frukos y sus tesos anoher group hailing from Puerto-Rico

The guy from PR can back me up on sayin that Frukos is

Nah, them dudes are from Columbia, guy in the background has a Columbian flag poncho!

Hector Lavoe is a salsa great, but thats like saying you want to talk about funk and only talking about James Brown.

This is soulstrut, we get deep! Can't wait!!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    damn man this is why i joined soul strut, for topics like this.........i've been playing my favorite salsa records for the last 24 hours, all the ill shit. roberto roena (his vol.9 album is to me especialy face melting matirial),justo betancourt etc.........hope we keep movin into the 80's when salsa blew the f-up.......pulled out the sun of latin music by palmieri cause my favorite salsa singer made his debut on that same album, lalo rodriguez. there was eddie santiago,frankie ruiz and so many huge stars and huge talents from the 80's i hope we can touch on the era here.

peace,xavier

• damn man this is why i joined soul strut, for topics like this.........i've been playing my favorite salsa records for the last 24 hours, all the ill shit. roberto roena (his vol.9 album is to me especialy face melting matirial),justo betancourt etc.........hope we keep movin into the 80's when salsa blew the f-up.......pulled out the sun of latin music by palmieri cause my favorite salsa singer made his debut on that same album, lalo rodriguez. there was eddie santiago,frankie ruiz and so many huge stars and huge talents from the 80's i hope we can touch on the era here.

peace,xavier

I like Lalo too, although I'd rather listen to Unfinished Masterpiece than Sun of Latin Music. Frankie Ruiz is ok, so is Tito Rojas. But really the best salsa in the 80s was made by these dudes.

Seriously salsa in the 80s is weaksauce, its when it went commercial and became a formula. Salsa romantica is worse than modern soul, but if its what's doing it for you then hey, your ears not mine.

• I'd rather listen to Unfinished Masterpiece

This LP is for me right now.

See you at the Otis show friday, R*****o?

• For sure! I'm trying to find a sitter so M*****a can come out too. Glad things worked out with your new keys man!

• Yes, bro. Thanks so much for hooking us up with Juan Carlos!!! He's the man for sure. Lots of talent, great rhythm, and a great attitude as well. It's always the humble ones that surprise you.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Bonus salsa banger

You sure about that? I thought Fruko was from Colombia.

absolutely from colombia and not puerto rico. and one hell of a bass player.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    absolutely from colombia and not puerto rico. and one hell of a bass player.

Youre right on both terms I figured it out right after posting there song
    Las Calenas (great instrumental break)
    http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3KFC5L2S5OSTB1032IAMXIKJ6S

refers to Kali women. I was thinking of another PR band with a similar name that has a great black signer that dances like a badass (old school cuba style) help me out

Guys here some more Frukos before i get into a real PR powerhouse (pretty obvious but classic)

Salsa Brava brings a more Cuban uptempo style as descarga fruko is more classic salsa (once again great horn/piano solos) salsa intros and solos are usually

.........hope we keep movin into the 80's
    Definitely! The thing with this post is have my shit all set-up
    Ill touch on that stuff later, even some Salsa sensual(romantica) that is not disgusting as well as some personal bangers.

This is soulstrut, we get deep!
    Ensegnale! Seems like you guys are into it so share the passion

I love me some Ruiz and have heard of roena but never heard his music
    Id love to expand my horizons

Anyways hasta luego

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico is one of the greatest salsa orchestra???s ever assembled. They???ve had huge hits and have constantly released excellent LP???s.

Ojos Chinos is a classic theme that has been sampled but more importantly always brings the heat on the salsa floor.

Achilipu is a darkgrimey track I love. It really showcases the horns strength, and the 3 signers come through. Instrumental break/great hook.
    Great track on dusty vinyl

Me Libere is a salsa ???banger??? which presents the band???s more big band orchestra style

Extra tracks:
    Te Vas a Repentir (other dark track)
    Lloraras is a smooth track great stuff from el Combo

Thats it for now check back in later
    And por favor contribute sumthin...