I Like 99 Rappers...

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Okay, so I have decided to try and air this one out. I have been hearing rumors from numerous sources that, on Sage Francis' new tour, he does a rendition of "99 Problems" with his Epitaph posse, but replaces the chorus line with "I Like 99 Rappers, but Jay-Z Ain't One." Now when I heard this I almost shit my pants, because that seems really fucking disrespectful, as I see Jay as a vet/legend/important figure in hip hop, whatever you want to call it. Sure, you can hate on "mainstream" hip hop, but is Jay-Z really "mainstream?" REASONABLE DOUBT YO!What are your thoughts?

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Okay, so I have decided to try and air this one out. I have been hearing rumors from numerous sources that, on Sage Francis' new tour, he does a rendition of "99 Problems" with his Epitaph posse, but replaces the chorus line with "I Like 99 Rappers, but Jay-Z Ain't One." Now when I heard this I almost shit my pants, because that seems really fucking disrespectful, as I see Jay as a vet/legend/important figure in hip hop, whatever you want to call it. Sure, you can hate on "mainstream" hip hop, but is Jay-Z really "mainstream?" REASONABLE DOUBT YO!

What are your thoughts?
    maybe you should listen to the song first.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    that dudes a joke. weakest "rapper" ever. jay-z shits on him without even trying

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    when you get upset with a rapper... just remember that 99% of them will never be more than they are at this moment in time. sage will just have to live with being a nobody.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Okay, so I have decided to try and air this one out. I have been hearing rumors from numerous sources that, on Sage Francis' new tour, he does a rendition of "99 Problems" with his Epitaph posse, but replaces the chorus line with "I Like 99 Rappers, but Jay-Z Ain't One." Now when I heard this I almost shit my pants, because that seems really fucking disrespectful, as I see Jay as a vet/legend/important figure in hip hop, whatever you want to call it. Sure, you can hate on "mainstream" hip hop, but is Jay-Z really "mainstream?" REASONABLE DOUBT YO!

What are your thoughts?

Let us not waste characters on what this piece of schitt may or may not have said about Jay.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I really can't believe this. If its true it just makes no sense. Why cover dudes song if you don't like him? I mean Sage Francis c'mon..... Who cares? When has dude made a song I want to listen to.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

What are your thoughts?

I would be more concerned that people care enough about Sage Francis' new tour to start any kind of rumors.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

I would be more concerned that people care enough about Sage Francis' new tour to start any kind of rumors.

yeah and i would hate jay-z if he even made a comment about this knucklehead... im not the biggest jay-z fan but if this is true sage sounds like a bitch.

hes a new rapper isnt he? and by new i mean post '99... i think i stopped caring about rap music around this time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jay-Z deserves every ounce of hate that he receives from anyone.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    jay-z mainstream?........well being that he's internationaly known,yes! is his music mainstream?.........for the most part no.

dude is so consistent (ex. vol 1 and 3) he has created countless bangers and has the most re-donkey-lips word-play in the industry (reasonable doubt is the most lyrical album ever!)

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    but why?

(reasonable doubt is the most lyrical album ever!)

Umm...no.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Why?

I mean, aside from the fact that he stole his career from Project Blowed.

but why?

For being a:

Umm...no.
    what is? aesop rocks album?

• mmm...balls

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    I really can't believe this. If its true it just makes no sense. Why cover dudes song if you don't like him? I mean Sage Francis c'mon..... Who cares? When has dude made a song I want to listen to.

yeah, i saw sage's show a few months ago and he did that track...i'll withold comment.

"why cover dude's song"? "i got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one" isn't an original jay-z line in the first place.

• wouldn`t exactly be some kind of legendary beef would it??

jay-z vs sappy rapper.

is his name sage `cos he`s a herb??

yeah, i saw sage's show a few months ago and he did that track...i'll withold comment.

"why cover dude's song"? "i got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one" isn't an original jay-z line in the first place.
    wait....you actualy paid to see sage francis????

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "And all you other cats throwin shots at Jigga
    You only get half a bar - fuck y'all niggaz"

almost as irrelevant as Jayo Felony's beef.

Umm...no.

Long Live the Kane.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

wait....you actualy paid to see sage francis????

well my girlfriend bought the tickets, but yeah, i went to see sage. he's one of the few current rap acts, or not that i actually enjoy.

• Jay-Z deserves every ounce of hate that he receives from anyone.

Why?

ha... this was supposed to be funny right? Jay may have sold "Blow" in the "Projects", but I'm pretty sure he's never heard of Project Blowed... cmon dude Jay is the most unhateable rapper, you gotta love Jay.

Umm...no.

Long Live the Kane.

how can you like Daddy kane and hate on Jay???

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Why?

ha... this was supposed to be funny right? Jay may have sold "Blow" in the "Projects", but I'm pretty sure he's never heard of Project Blowed... cmon dude Jay is the most unhateable rapper, you gotta love Jay.

long running inside joke here.

how can you like APPLES and hate on ORANGES???

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    the 3rd verse on feelin it is killer (and it was the "sell out" track).........so many double meanings and flows all over this cd........new shit to catch every listen........glad you countered with a dope album though........long live the kane is ill, his verse on rhymin with biz is one of my top 5 verses ever. but in my personal opinion (whuich i meant to put on my original reply) reasonable doubt is lyricaly unmatched as an album (plus the beats are disgusting)

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    What I find really wack, is that large portions of Sage's crew (like those anticon guys, especially Buck65) front on rap, rap fans, and especially gangster rap.

For anyone who grew up in East Coast Canada, they'll all remember Sixtoo and Buck65 when they would do campus radio stations and play the hardest rap at the time. And now they front on some art bullshit. It's just wack.

Fuck 'em. Imma go listen to Spice 1.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Why?

I mean, aside from the fact that he stole his career from Nas, Biggie etc.

• Jay-Z = +

Sage Francis = +

Game Over...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Anybody talking down on Jay is just doing it to try to get attention, which is yet another testament to his stature...