Good reissue Psych CDs (labels, bands, etc.)

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Curious as to what psych reissue cds are worth the pickup. What labels do the best job with the remastering, packaging, and liner notes?
I've seen many great albums on the 'collectables' label, but their represses look cheap and just thrown together.
And then I've seen some by others that are well crafted and obviously had been a labor of love. Any good recource for these?

Comments

• Curious as to what psych reissue cds are worth the pickup. What labels do the best job with the remastering, packaging, and liner notes?
    I've seen many great albums on the 'collectables' label, but their represses look cheap and just thrown together.
    And then I've seen some by others that are well crafted and obviously had been a labor of love. Any good recource for these?

A lot of the stuff on Collectables are reissues of vinyl reissue comps from the 80's. Very hit and miss as far as liner notes etc., though sound quaility is OK.

• Options
    49th Parallel and BEntwind are done well. Think they're done by a psyche dealer here in town - can't remember the label offf hand.

K.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, I'd stay away from Collectables stuff.

When Sundazed does something better than the Monkeys, or Moody Blues it's great! the quality is outstanding.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

A lot of the stuff on Collectables are reissues of vinyl reissue comps from the 80's. Very hit and miss as far as liner notes etc., though sound quaility is OK.

Yeah, I am aware of the quality of the Collectables stuff. I was curious though if there where any other labels that were just really really solid with their quality. Every now and then I'll see some reish cds that are $25, expensive yes, but they come in cardboard/gatefold sleeves and supurb booklets, (the look like little records, as if someone shot the OG with a shrink ray). Anyone know of a distributor for these? Or the know the lable that puts them out? thanks.

49th Parallel[/b] and BEntwind are done well. Think they're done by a psyche dealer here in town - can't remember the label offf hand.

K.

just caught the LP this weekend via trade.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Curious as to what psych reissue cds are worth the pickup. What labels do the best job with the remastering, packaging, and liner notes?

Knewjack, you should stop in to SMASH in Georgetown, Bobby is usually there during the day and early evening...he really knows his Psych/garage labels and comps, and really tries to keep new reissues/comps coming in on vinyl all the time. I think the audience for the vinyl Psych comps is shrinking(in Georgetown at least) and I am sure he would appreciate the business/interest. Forgive me if this is already old news.

Ahkarama (sp?) is really good too. Expensive, but sometimes the quality of these is better than the OG

GetBack also.

• yeah, I'd stay away from Collectables stuff.

When Sundazed does something better than the Monkeys, or Moody Blues it's great! the quality is outstanding.

Huge cosign on Sundazed. Some of the best reissues (high quality sound/info) in the last few years...

• Options
    49th Parallel[/b] and BEntwind are done well. Think they're done by a psyche dealer here in town - can't remember the label offf hand.

K.

Think Tom (Delay) had a copy if anyone's looking...

Kevin.

yeah, I'd stay away from Collectables stuff.

Huge cosign on Sundazed. Some of the best reissues (high quality sound/info) in the last few years...

I just wish they would stop fucking around with Canned Heat & Spirt records you can buy all day for a buck.

K.

Kevin.

thats where I got mine.

• yeah, I'd stay away from Collectables stuff.

I just wish they would stop fucking around with Canned Heat & Spirt records you can buy all day for a buck.

True dat....Rhino Handmade does some cool stuff now and again...

• Options

K.

Kevin.

thats where I got mine.

There's supposed to be a handful of million people in GReater Toronto and the same in billions in the world, and it appears as if there's on a couple thousand.

K.

There's supposed to be a handful of million people in GReater Toronto and the same in billions in the world, and it appears as if there's on a couple thousand.

K.

dude, what? I read your post 5 times and cannot figure out what you are talking about.

• Options
    Small world for so many people.

K.

• Check these -

Radioactive Records - www.radiactiverecords.com
    Wild Places - [email]ACEofDISCS@aol.com[/email] -- PERHACS
    Beatball - www.beatballrecords.com
    Akarma/Universe - www.akarmarecords.com

• A lot of the stuff on Collectables are reissues of vinyl reissue comps from the 80's. Very hit and miss as far as liner notes etc., though sound quaility is OK.

Yeah, I am aware of the quality of the Collectables stuff. I was curious though if there where any other labels that were just really really solid with their quality. Every now and then I'll see some reish cds that are $25, expensive yes, but they come in cardboard/gatefold sleeves and supurb booklets, (the look like little records, as if someone shot the OG with a shrink ray). Anyone know of a distributor for these? Or the know the lable that puts them out? thanks.

I think you're talking about the Akarma (italian label)cd reissues of psych-prog. They do nice mini lp cover reproductions for cds (also their lp vinyl covers are fantastic) but sound quality is sometimes not so good. Been told they manufacture their hard-carboard "old styled" lp covers in a shoes factory (???).

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I've been told by someone involved in Bernard Stollman's attempts to legitimately reissue the ESP back catalog that Get Back! is one of the labels that's been reissuing ESP releases over the past several years without passing any $$$ on to the label or the artists.

Anyway I definitely cosign Sundazed, their reissue of Skip Spence's Oar is absolutely stunning and the bonus tracks are an invaluable addition.

I also like Radioactive although they don't seem to include any additional tracks or info with their releases, still great selection though.

I've been told by someone involved in Bernard Stollman's attempts to legitimately reissue the ESP back catalog that Get Back! is one of the labels that's been reissuing ESP releases over the past several years without passing any $$$ on to the label or the artists.

haha! just like he did!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    One of the best labels for both quality and choices obscurities is Shadoks/QDK Media outta Germany... they do some vinyl too but they're extremely limited and $$$ almost immediately

Akharma stuff is all over the place and quality varies... I'd say don't invest unless you know about the quality of a specific title beforehand, as they're expensive... they put a lot of money into the packaging but you can find some of the shittiest recorded-from-vinyl crap inside... they're from Italy so I'm assuming those are all bootlegs...

Collectables issued the shittiest CD I've ever heard, the Bubble Puppy reish... I don't even give them a shot anymore...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    One good reissue label I didn't see mentioned is Arf! Arf!

But the best way for you to answer your question would be to pick up the latest (or any) issue of Ugly Things - between all the reviews of current releases, and the advertising by all the labels, you'll be more than set.