organising records in thrift/2nd hand stores..

sconesscones 434 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i start a lil job tomorrow organising the hiphop for this local shop that sells all genres of 2nd hand records, electrical equip etc..currently its organised in LPs by years (85-90,91-95 etc)and 12s organised sorta in years and also seperated into a 'genre' like gangsta, chilled etc.. i wanna get away from that whole idea of labeling something a name just to organise, i dont get down like thatwat i was thinking was:Old school: from 90 and down (seperate for lps and 12s - best way?)hip hop a-z (everything else) (again LPs like this then 12s ?)new arrivals (lps and 12s together)record store peoples: how do you do it??

Comments

• Bastard!
    Which shop mate? All the time i was at Gloucester Road during the holidays i would have LOVED a record shop job...

• Actually, i worked out it was PK music... which can be a bit hit and miss but should pick up hip hop wise now you're there...

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    haha easy mate, its only temp. to do the hiphop then its not really a job as they have others working there .. luckily a good friend works there now and has done the whole summer so he hooked it up, the hiphop isnt in the best state and they just wanna start shifting more of it.. anyway i didnt wanna chat in this thread, ideas! ;]

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Just leave boxes of records all over the place.. I like my records unorganised.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    So a thrift store has enough used hip hop vinyl that it needs to be separated into multiple genres, and they need to hire somebody from the outside just to organize it?

Not doubting, mind you - just

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    So a thrift store has enough used hip hop vinyl that it needs to be separated into multiple genres, and they need to hire somebody from the outside just to organize it?

Not doubting, mind you - just

Either, A.) the UK is just another dimension or something;

or B.) the UK definition of "thrift" means "used".

I'm leaning towards B, but I'm not ruling out A completely - I've seen some of those weirdass BBC comedies on PBS...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i start a lil job tomorrow organising the hiphop for this local shop that sells all genres of 2nd hand records, electrical equip etc..

Sounds more like a 2nd hand record store.... is this in LDN?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'd organize em like this- put all the Sir Mix a Lots in the front. Behind that alphabetize all the Heavy D and the Boyz lp's. Then stash the Kid n Play's in the very back of the row. After that put all the Tone Loc's on hold for me cuz I need to wallpaper my bathroom soon.

Where does da Biz fit into your system?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Biz lp's shouldn't be in the thrift store in my world.

Biz lp's shouldn't be in the thrift store in my world.

RADD

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    ok not a thrift store. a 2nd hand record store, i dunno what you crazy yanks call stuff these days..