PREDICTIONS FOR JAY-Z'S NEXT ALBUM

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm not sure if it's been made official yet, but y'all all do know that Jay-Z's getting ready to do another album, right? (And even if my info is incorrect, it doesn't matter- eventually there will be a new Jay-Z album, it's inevitable.) My question is: how do you think it will be received and how successful do you think it will be? It ain't been all that long since The Black Album had it's run, but to me it feels like the ever changing hip hop climate has really changed recently. I never count Hov out because, first of all, he can obviously rap circles around most of these dudes that are popular these days. Secondly, although he's getting mighty damn old, he stays on the cutting edge when it comes to selecting his beats (which doesn't always mean that they're good beats, but usually at least sound like they might be that "next" shit as opposed to being that same old shit) and also stays up on all the latest trends as far as what's happening in the skreets.But I have a feeling that whatever the boy comes up with, the fans are gonna be disappointed. People are gonna say he fell off, sales will be under expectations, etc. Oh, he'll still sell just off of the strength of his name (he's a business, man)... just not as much as he's expected to. And the general sentiment is gonna be that Jay's time has passed. Not because he actually sucks now, but just because folls want to hear a whole different brand of rap now.So... what does SOULSTRUT think about this? Real headz want to know the deal. Personally, if I was Hov, I could think of better things to do with my time than rappin'...

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Nah, people will still fuck with jay.

It will probably be dope too.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Nah, people will still fuck with jay.

It will probably be dope too.

I hope you are right on both counts.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I thought he "retired". The Black Album isnt even 5 years old yet.WTF. He can come back, but damn could you establish some acts on DEFJAM before u soak up all the fuckin' limelight.

Personally i could care less if he came back. Dude overloaded himself. BluePrint2.0

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm not worried in the slightest.

People wanna hear Jay bad--every guest verse he's dropped lately has been treated as a major event. Mixtape dudes absolutely killed that freestyle he did over "Back Then," and it's testament to Jay's enduring star power that I still haven't heard the verse from Aztec--the dude that track ostensibly belonged to--because everyone either fades it out after Jay's verse or brings it back up a second time.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i predict a lackluster nas collab.

i predict a lackluster nas collab.

Nah, Nas is obviously dying to do it, but I think Jay genuinely dislikes the guy...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Secondly, although he's getting mighty damn old, he stays on the cutting edge when it comes to selecting his beats (which doesn't always mean that they're good beats, but usually at least sound like they might be that "next" shit as opposed to being that same old shit)

every song will have the laffy taffy beat.

gonna be that Jay's time has passed. Not because he actually sucks now, but just
    because folls want to hear a whole different brand of rap now.

yeah,i see your point on this.last night i was listenin to kay slay + he played a old ll cool j freestyle.ll rapped really well on it + there was nothing 'wrong'with the style but it just sounded old.the freestyle was maybe 4 yrs old tops,but it might as well be the fearless four to the kids buying rap right now.jay has beat the 'age problem' in rap (same as ghost + scarface),and he has the best taste in beats so he may not have the same problems the majority of rappers have staying relevant to 4 yr. trends.
    plus the dj's do treat his guest verses like events.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Phill,

What Jay-Z has called his "retirement" is shorter than what most other rappers call, "time I was forced to take off because I got dropped by my last label, but yo, I'm coming back in 2006 with that next shit and it's going to be hot, knawmean?"

"The Black Album" only appeared two years ago and then all the Black Album remixes were running wild in early 2004. Then earlier this year, you had the Jay-Z documentary hitting theaters...and since then, as Faux and others have noted, every guest appearance: Memphis Bleek's "Dear Summer", Young Jeezy's "Go Crazy", Kanye, etc. has helped keep Jay in the public eye.

Just to offer a contrast, Outkast's new album is appearing in December but, for the most part, they've been MIA (outside of questionable acting roles) since "Speakerboxxx/Love Below" came out in 2003. It's not like anyone's thinking they're not irrelevent for taking two years off.

I hear you about changing rap styles but Jay's shown himself to be quite adaptable to the times, if not just straight up leading them. But in any case, the biggest acts of 2005 have been: 50 Cent, Kanye West and Young Jeezy - none of whom do anything that wasn't around when Jay was still actively recording. This said, I thinking somewhere, Jay was thinking to himself, "fuck, why didn't I come up with 'Wait'?"

Intimate club = that next shit.

• jay will be str8 & fans will love it....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    all eminem production

But in any case, the biggest acts of 2005 have been: 50 Cent, Kanye West and Young Jeezy

And Game... and Mike Jownes... neither of whom exactly pushed the form forward, either.

But in any case, the biggest acts of 2005 have been: 50 Cent, Kanye West and Young Jeezy

And Game... and Mike Jownes... neither of whom exactly pushed the form forward, either.

What, you don't think The Game is the lyrical equivalent of ...

For shame, for shame.

• But in any case, the biggest acts of 2005 have been: 50 Cent, Kanye West and Young Jeezy

And Game... and Mike Jownes... neither of whom exactly pushed the form forward, either. [/b]

Sounds like our boy is aching for this instead..

I'm starting to find Mr. Mike Jones annoying and the Game is just i-ight (chockfull of cringeworthy lines and dude sounds like the ultimate groupie).

No, they didn't... some of these people represent a regression of the form IMO. But that's what it seems that people want these days. Which is what makes me wonder if Jay-Z's level of lyricism will go over the heads of this new breed of rap listener by the time his new album comes out. "Ehhh... I ain't really feelin' that Jay-Z schitt no more. He need to do somethin' like 'Laffy Taffy'... now THAT'S that real schitt!"

BTW, is Jay really all that beloved in other parts of the country, like the south and the west? Not saying he's not... I'm just wondering. Seems like there is some NYC hatterism going on these days, dunno if that would apply to Jiggaman as well.

• But in any case, the biggest acts of 2005 have been: 50 Cent, Kanye West and Young Jeezy

No, they didn't... some of these people represent a regression of the form IMO. But that's what it seems that people want these days. Which is what makes me wonder if Jay-Z's level of lyricism will go over the heads of this new breed of rap listener by the time his new album comes out. "Ehhh... I ain't really feelin' that Jay-Z schitt no more. He need to do somethin' like 'Laffy Taffy'... now THAT'S that real schitt!"

BTW, is Jay really all that beloved in other parts of the country, like the south and the west? Not saying he's not... I'm just wondering. Seems like there is some NYC hatterism going on these days, dunno if that would apply to Jiggaman as well.

OK dude are living in your private mind garden??? Jay makes waves every time he graces the mic in every part of the country. How do you think the dude sells that amount of records? Seriously man. NYC dudes don't sell SHIT, Jay goes mult platinum. I would think that you were being sarcastic, but you sound serious.

It seems like stuff like D4L has convinced you that nobody even likes anything remotely lyrical anymore, but it's just a different style that people like. Just cause I like vegetable pilaf don't mean I hate steak, you know?

OK dude are living in your private mind garden??? Jay makes waves every time he graces the mic in every part of the country. How do you think the dude sells that amount of records? Seriously man. NYC dudes don't sell SHIT, Jay goes mult platinum. I would think that you were being sarcastic, but you sound serious.

It seems like stuff like D4L has convinced you that nobody even likes anything remotely lyrical anymore, but it's just a different style that people like. Just cause I like vegetable pilaf don't mean I hate steak, you know?

You are a very argumentive fellow, aren't you? I was just asking questions. Relax yourself, please settle down. You are bordering on disrespicfellatin', hommie. I am serious about that.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    people will still fuck with jay.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I am certainly no hip hop indicator, but at my night last night people started hooting and hollaring when I got around to some classic Jay-Z (I think it was 'Give It To Me'), and this is not that demonstrative a crowd up til then...I think as long as he is able to carry on with his ear to the street and the club as he has in the past, he will have a willing and waiting audience. These days NOBODY believes 30-something retirement, at least they don't take it seriously from musicians. How many times has Bowie retired? How many 'last tours' can Prince do?

I hear you about changing rap styles but Jay's shown himself to be quite adaptable to the times, if not just straight up leading them.

This is very true. My concern is just that EVERYBODY eventually falls off as far as the public is concerned (unless they get killed, then they live on forever with an endless amount of posthumous records). Will Jay just be able to keep coming out with hits well into his forties? To me he's good enough to do it, no doubt... it's just never been done before. I can't help but wonder if the kids are gonna be like "Jay-Z??? He old as schitt, we ain't tryin' to listen to that!" as they reach past the new Jay-Z cd on the racks and pick up that Laffy Taffy joint. I hope everybody who thinks that people will still be checkin' for Hov after the new schitt drops is right. We will see, I guess.

You are a very argumentive fellow, aren't you? I was just asking questions. Relax yourself, please settle down. You are bordering on disrespicfellatin', hommie. I am serious about that.

Oh well oh well...

I really don't understand your position though man. You really think Jay isn't gonna do well, or that he's gonna pop up on some lightweight shit? Has he ever done that? Other than some of the stuff on his second record, I really can't see it. I think in your cruchy old dudeness you have failed to see that the real shit does still matter, just not as much as you might like it to...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some more beef to cook!

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I see where Phill is coming from, but you have to remember. On the black album jay was taking it back, back to when he was about lyrics, and he still had a couple neptunes radio made joints on there. But he has no problem dumbing down. Today kids are all about a good beat and a catchy cadence. Jay can put that out no prob. Hell all he needs is one or two hot singles. Platinum fur sure..

I cant see jay ever droping another black album.. I still cant belive he is coming out of retirement... I guess we'll see..

• my mrs told me beyonce was pregnant according to her brasilian gossip site.
    maybe hov will go soft..

Seriously folks...if Jay had said nothing about retirement, and instead, hadn't bothered to put out a new album in 2.5 years, would we even have this conversation? I mean, not every big rapper has to put out 1.5 albums every calender year (helllllooooo, Nelly).

If Jay drops a new album, it's almost bound to go plat and unless he pulls another "Blueprint 2", it'll probably be a pretty good album too.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Jay-z is the leader of the rap nation. Was on the cover of xxl like a month ago. Elevated his profile to near godlike stature with his super celebrity power couple relationship and his takeover of def jam. I think he could basicly spit on a record and it would go platinum.

Even backpackers like him now. He was on the hottest southern record of the year which happened to also be on his label. So in between putting out young jeezy and the kanye record, he also signed the roots? I think hes come the closest of anyone to being all things to all people....rap related anyways.

I cannot think of a single verse that hes dropped post retirement that i havent heard on the radio like 30 times! I think hes gonna do ok.

Nas is the one id be worried about.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I expect some more of this

if he ever records another album.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    just the excitement of a new jay-z cd will have him doing a million in sales with no problem(in 2-3 weeks).i honestly cant see him selling less than 2 million copies.and jay starts the trends,how many 45 rpm soul samples flooded our ears after blueprint dropped? he's fresh in peoples minds still. mike jones,paul wall and the crunk movement wont affect his sales at all.His vol.2 cd killed off the puff combs syndrome, and his new cd will co-exist with the southern shit(i say co-exsist cause this is a strong movement), but it cant and won't f-up his soundscan at all.

and the 2 singles are always there,have been since in my lifetime vol.1.

he'll get pharrel on the phone get the first single lined up,then proceed to hit timbalnd up for single #2.Then he'll get to knocking out the bangers which is why his REAL fans buy his albums,religiously.i personaly see him making an album for himself (since he doesn't own reasonable doubt) with alot of "harder" songs.
    i see just blaze and of course kanye doing the majority of the tracks.and he'll sell 4 million,maybe 5.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    My only prediction for a new Jay-Z album:

Faux Rillz will find some reason to hate on it. Probably because a) Jay will give a shout-out to Linkin Park in the liner notes, b) Young Jeezy will only get one guest verse, or c) he'll do some soft "schitt" and rhyme about being in love.

Should we start a pool?

Herm

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    he has a lot of people talking greasy about him right now - i bet he names names and sells a lot of dudes' albums for them like he did for nas. the first shit you hear will be some mixtape shit dissing a bunch of other rappers, and his album will follow that really fast. the radio song will come second, the same week the album drops. or he will have a mixtape joint, then wait for everyone to come back at him, then hit them with some real specific shit on the album.

Jay is definitely felt outside of New York--as Paycheck pointed out, you don't sell records like he does if you're depending on NY as your market.

One thing about Jay is that he has always shown love and not displayed the parochialism that you see in a lot of rappers from NYC--he went and put UGK on a single five years ago, and before that, when he jumped on the "HA" remix, he was the first MC from outside the camp to do anything with Cash Money.

My only prediction for a new Jay-Z album:

Faux Rillz will find some reason to hate on it. Probably because a) Jay will give a shout-out to Linkin Park in the liner notes, b) Young Jeezy will only get one guest verse, or c) he'll do some soft "schitt" and rhyme about being in love.

Should we start a pool?

Herm

Never that, son.

Anyone that knows me knows I ride for Jay all day.