Kung Fu Movie Question (NRR/Jackie Chan Related)

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
What was the movie that Jackie Chan was in early on where the beginning of the film, dudes are cooperating to pick up cabbages through an obstacle course dressed up in a dragon suit? I know it sounds strange, but it does exist, just don't remember the title of the movie. Help me out. PeaceT.N.

Comments

• The young Master

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'd still like to know what Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu[/b] means.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That's what I thought! I was totally second guessing myself.
    Thanks
    Peace
    T.N.

• I'd still like to know what Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu[/b] means.

Film's a Kung fu Spoof = maybe its a spoof title?

Crazy Hong Kong SOH related!

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    What was the movie that Jackie Chan was in early on where the beginning of the film, dudes are cooperating to pick up cabbages through an obstacle course dressed up in a dragon suit? I know it sounds strange, but it does exist, just don't remember the title of the movie.
    Help me out.
    Peace
    T.N.

I post here a question I had in mind

is there any not 70's kung fu soundtrack worth to seek for ? (different than enter the dragon and shogun assassin.....talkin abt proper released soundtrack, not incidental music)

thanks

• What was the movie that Jackie Chan was in early on where the beginning of the film, dudes are cooperating to pick up cabbages through an obstacle course dressed up in a dragon suit? I know it sounds strange, but it does exist, just don't remember the title of the movie.
    Help me out.
    Peace
    T.N.

They're not dressed in a dragon suit. It's a Chinese tradition known as moh si or lion dancing.

The lion is comprised of a head and tail, usually just two dudes, but sometimes several (like in the movie). The cabbage represents money and I think that sometimes there's an actual monetary prize for whoever gets it.

I trained in Hung Ga Kung Fu for 7 years in SF's Chinatown with a very old school sifu, Y.C. Wong. We had to learn lion dancing and learn to play the traditional lion dancing songs on drum and cymbals. That shit's not exactly in 4/4 time; takes a while to get the hang of it. The whole thing is really, really difficult. The head is super heavy and unwieldy and there's a whole range of emotion you should be able to convey through nods, head shakes, blinks, etc. And being the tail is no picnic, either.

Walking through Chinatown lion dancing/drumming for 8 hours on Chinese Year's, blessing every business who gives you a laih si (a red envelope with money) while millions of firecrackers go off around you is not the most relaxing way to spend a Sunday.

But at the end of it all, there's jellyfish and shark's fin soup for everyone.

• REMODEREMODE 91 Posts
    What was the movie that Jackie Chan was in early on where the beginning of the film, dudes are cooperating to pick up cabbages through an obstacle course dressed up in a dragon suit? I know it sounds strange, but it does exist, just don't remember the title of the movie.
    Help me out.
    Peace
    T.N.

is there any not 70's kung fu soundtrack worth to seek for ? (different than enter the dragon and shogun assassin.....talkin abt proper released soundtrack, not incidental music)

thanks

Not sure I understand your ? but if you are asking if there are other Kung Fu sdtrks besides Shogun and Enter the Dragon worth seeking?the answer would be yes but unfortunately most of the ones I have I can't read but they are on a Label called CROWN from HONG KONG.they have several kung fu sdtrks on this label.other than those I think most other kung fu flicks jacked music from other sdtrks and library records.

That's awesome, thanx RossHogg. I still say little dude looks like a dragon though.
    T.N.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Help me out.
    Peace
    T.N.

thanks

Not sure I understand your ? but if you are asking if there are other Kung Fu sdtrks besides Shogun and Enter the Dragon worth seeking?the answer would be yes but unfortunately most of the ones I have I can't read but they are on a Label called CROWN from HONG KONG.they have several kung fu sdtrks on this label.other than those I think most other kung fu flicks jacked music from other sdtrks and library records.

you understood what I meant, thanks.........

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    But at the end of it all, there's jellyfish and shark's fin soup for everyone.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!

• REMODEREMODE 91 Posts

I trained in Hung Ga Kung Fu

I thought it was Hung Gar? Different style?

Yeah I never heard of HUNG GA either unless it is some made up style mixing other styles.But if you are doing lion dancing it should be HUNG GAR (tiger crane) system and your bones should be hard as pipes from bone tempering(ouch that shit really hurts)

• I trained in Hung Ga Kung Fu

I thought it was Hung Gar? Different style?

Hung Gar, Hung Ga, Kung Fu, Gong Fu...it's all the same thing, just minor variations in the spelling. There's not exactly an "R" sound at the end of "Ga" (which means "family"), but different methods of romanization spell it differently.

See also "Lau Ga."

• What was the movie that Jackie Chan was in early on where the beginning of the film, dudes are cooperating to pick up cabbages through an obstacle course dressed up in a dragon suit? I know it sounds strange, but it does exist, just don't remember the title of the movie.
    Help me out.
    Peace
    T.N.

thanks

I looked around for records in Hong Kong and couldnt find shit. Where is it? Kowloon? Hong Kong Island?..out in the new Terrotories?

• REMODEREMODE 91 Posts
    Help me out.
    Peace
    T.N.

thanks

I looked around for records in Hong Kong and couldnt find shit. Where is it? Kowloon? Hong Kong Island?..out in the new Terrotories?

could'nt tell you any spots in hong kong cause I found my sdtrks at half price books in dallas texas.I just know the label that they are on is from Hong Kong and is called CROWN RECORDINGS.that is the only english on them other than the warning not to publicly play record without liscense. Maybe these are Chinese library records...anyone else have records on this Label ? more info would be nice if anyone else has some

Kung Fu movies often borrowed heavily from Library LPs from the major library labels like KPM, Bruton, Chappell, etc.

• snosno 332 Posts
    could'nt tell you any spots in hong kong cause I found my sdtrks at half price books in dallas texas.I just know the label that they are on is from Hong Kong and is called CROWN RECORDINGS.that is the only english on them other than the warning not to publicly play record without liscense. Maybe these are Chinese library records...anyone else have records on this Label ? more info would be nice if anyone else has some

"Crown Recordings" was part of Run-Run Shaw's media empire in HKG back in the days. In late 70s and early 80s the marketing strategy of TVB (THE major TV station in HKG) is that when a new serial is premiered, Crown Recordings would drop the original soundtrack (they are not incidental music, mind you, but "Songs Inspired by the series" type of deal.), or release an album by the star of that serial.

Having that said, Crown Recordings also does some recording/pressing of private press type of deal. I got this late 70s record by the Hong Kong Royal Auxillary Police band(kinda like "reserved police force") called "On the Beat". Loads of groove in the "library" style. They just pressed it with enough numbers to be give away to senior police officials as a souvenir.

Although I am not aware of "HKG library records", but I would not be surprised if Crown recordings has some because afterall, it's TV station's recording subsidary. Besides, it should have Joseph Koo and his band with a great rhythm section.

• REMODEREMODE 91 Posts
    thanks for the info man

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    We had to learn lion dancing

With these fine ass tigresses? Lucky guy.