Mulatu of ethiopia is playing in boston friday

axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
really lookin forward to this..its at the lizard lounge in cambridge ma.....any boston peeps got a copy of the og lp for trade? please..hahah.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    do you have tix?? I was asleep on this, but the Lizard Lounge holds tickets for walk-ups, so I'm going to go down there early and try to get a spot...

this show should be

• do you have tix?? I was asleep on this, but the Lizard Lounge holds tickets for walk-ups, so I'm going to go down there early and try to get a spot...

this show should be
    check your pm's

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    How was this?

I didn't end up chancing the walk up. Only found out about the show last weekend.

• this was a dope show...beautiful music...got to chat with mulatu, crazy humble super nice guy..killin it on the vibes and percussion tip...i asked him about the "mulatu of ethiopia" jawn he said "oh yes very rare lp, when i get back to my country i send you a copy, give me your address" needless to say i was hyped to hear that....i offered to send him a money order for it, he refused several times..so at the end of the night as he was walking down the block i ran up on him and tried to give him my last 6 bucks, at least to pay for shipping on some i wanna support the art type shit, he refused again so i stuffed the 6 bucks in his gig bag and broke out....

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    this was a dope show...beautiful music...got to chat with mulatu, crazy humble super nice guy..killin it on the vibes and percussion tip...i asked him about the "mulatu of ethiopia" jawn he said "oh yes very rare lp, when i get back to my country i send you a copy, give me your address" needless to say i was hyped to hear that....i offered to send him a money order for it, he refused several times..so at the end of the night as he was walking down the block i ran up on him and tried to give him my last 6 bucks, at least to pay for shipping on some i wanna support the art type shit, he refused again so i stuffed the 6 bucks in his gig bag and broke out....

Wow. I'm glad I didn't miss anything.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    this was a dope show...beautiful music...got to chat with mulatu, crazy humble super nice guy..killin it on the vibes and percussion tip...i asked him about the "mulatu of ethiopia" jawn he said "oh yes very rare lp, when i get back to my country i send you a copy, give me your address" needless to say i was hyped to hear that....i offered to send him a money order for it, he refused several times..so at the end of the night as he was walking down the block i ran up on him and tried to give him my last 6 bucks, at least to pay for shipping on some i wanna support the art type shit, he refused again so i stuffed the 6 bucks in his gig bag and broke out....

That's awfully nice of him to do. Maybe it's time for Asprin to do some direct digging?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    shit

too bad i dont live on boston or close too it

props on soundway records for releasing that mulatu 10'' a few days ago

http://soundwayrecords.com/releases.cfm

"""Mulatu Astatke is perhaps the most important and influential musician to come out of Ethiopia in the second half of the twentieth century. His inspired synthesis of Jazz and Afro-Cuban styles with the ethereal musical traditions of his home country has produced a body of work that stands alone in the fields of spiritual jazz and soulful, meditative grooves. We are proud to present a 10??? EP containing a selection of rare tracks, originally issued on small run 45???s in Ethiopia and unavailable ever since. These tracks show the diversity of Mulatu???s music ??? running from heavy and driving funk, to Afro-Latin rhythms and deep and introspective jazz.
    More/Order"""""

• props on soundway records for releasing that mulatu 10'' a few days ago

JEESUS. Soundway has to be label of the year or something.

blue rhythm combo
    orlando julius
    geraldo pino
    this mulatu I've never heard of

=

• Someone just mentioned that Mulatu has added a DC date (venue TBA). Anyone else have any info on this?

• this was a dope show...beautiful music...got to chat with mulatu, crazy humble super nice guy..killin it on the vibes and percussion tip...i asked him about the "mulatu of ethiopia" jawn he said "oh yes very rare lp, when i get back to my country i send you a copy, give me your address" needless to say i was hyped to hear that....i offered to send him a money order for it, he refused several times..so at the end of the night as he was walking down the block i ran up on him and tried to give him my last 6 bucks, at least to pay for shipping on some i wanna support the art type shit, he refused again so i stuffed the 6 bucks in his gig bag and broke out....

Definitely a reissue haha...

But that is dope. I bet homie has like 2000 og's in his spot...

• Options
    props on soundway records for releasing that mulatu 10'' a few days ago

JEESUS. Soundway has to be label of the year or something.

blue rhythm combo

orlando julius

geraldo pino

this mulatu I've never heard of

=

You should come up to a Turning Point party, Andrew - that looks like a standard playlist above (originals, of course). I know Miles took much inspiration (especially on the Caribbean end) from the parties...in addition to my friend and I dealing/hipping him to tunes he's reissued.

K in Canada.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Tour dates from his website:

The Palace Theater
    November 3, 8:00 pm
    19 Utica Street, Hamilton, NY

World Cafe Live, Philadelphia PA
    November 10, 7:30 pm
    3025 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA
    tix: $20 / $23 at the door
    World Cafe Live tickets

Celebrity Series: Boston Marquee