Exotica recommendations?

NutsNuts 44 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Hey,I'm looking for some exotica stuff similar to Nino Nardinis "Jungle Obsession" and Les Baxters "Que Mango". Any recommendations? I'd be gratefull.

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Les Baxter

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Martin Denny?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yo Nuts, I don't have those two titles, so I wouldn't know the exact mood you're after, but this one is one of my all-time favorites:

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    MOON GAS

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Yo Nuts, I don't have those two titles, so I wouldn't know the exact mood you're after, but this one is one of my all-time favorites:

hvas??DEEEEEEEEER!....du har skuda os de sindsygeste plader

• Hey,

I'm looking for some exotica stuff similar to Nino Nardinis "Jungle Obsession" and Les Baxters "Que Mango". Any recommendations? I'd be gratefull.

So I guess you're looking for that raer breed called modern exotica! You want that old jungle movie atmosphere but with modern sounds and beats. I've been looking for that and there's not that much I think, but some essentials are IMO:

Shelly Manne - Daktari OST

Les Baxter - Bora Bora OST

Piero Piccioni - Bora Bora OST

Walter Kubiczek - Das unsichtbare Visier OST

Older, but very strong:

Don Ralke - The Savage & Sensuous Bongos

Tito Puente - Tambo

Well, that's out of my head...

• For Jungley type stuff, I recommend Sabu Martinez "Sorcery", anything by Chaino and anything by Augie Colon.

Big cosign on the Denny and Baxter, too.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

That cover is creepy, but nice. Not the kind you want hanging over your bed.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Hey,

I'm looking for some exotica stuff similar to Nino Nardinis "Jungle Obsession" and Les Baxters "Que Mango". Any recommendations? I'd be gratefull.

Tracks from the "Jungle Obsession" session can also be found on these library lps - STRINTRONICS (peer int.) and AFRO SPOOKY (southern) both very rare. Theres also an unreleased vocal version of "Jungle Obsession" inluding THE SWINGLE SINGERS.

Michel Magne "tropical fantasy" (bel-air) one of the all time best exotica lps.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Hey,

Tracks from the "Jungle Obsession" session can also be found on these library lps - STRINTRONICS (peer int.) and AFRO SPOOKY (southern) both very rare. Theres also an unreleased vocal version of "Jungle Obsession" inluding THE SWINGLE SINGERS.

Michel Magne "tropical fantasy" (bel-air) one of the all time best exotica lps.

There's a decent reissue of Stringtronics on Vadim music you can pick up cheap.

• NutsNuts 44 Posts
    Thanks for all the response!

Alot of good stuff mentioned, some I allready have (stringtronics, daktari, bora bora, martin denny), but I will check out some of the other records mentioned.

• Few of my bookmarked pages incl...

Excellent Exotica blog from down here PLANET EXBAY[/b]

This chick has gone hardcore on VINTAGE BELLYDANCE MUSIC[/b] Tonnes of cover scans & she has her own online radio show.

This sometimes has the goods, but probably more diverse than just Exotica. Still a good blog though. DEPARTMENT OF RECORDS[/b]

But my fave site no doubt is BASIC HIP[/b].
    They also have an album up every week that you can download.
    And their kiddie record page is legendary.

There's more like Space Age Pop & Retrolyte, but they are never updated.

So was she a Jewish housewife from Brooklyn or a mystical Peruvian Queen?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

So was she a Jewish housewife from Brooklyn or a mystical Peruvian Queen?

I recently heard that her name was Amy Camus. Read it backwards.

i thought she was Peurto Rican and from the Bronx?

for real - Im not trying to be a wiseass.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts

sup mr knudsen?

• i think we could start up a whole different website for diggin this type of shit.
    i really like "inferno" lp by john buzon trio. capitol put out a series of exotica cd's in the late 90's those will give you a good reference point. peace, steinl. . .

• I recently heard that her name was Amy Camus. Read it backwards.

This is true.

• I recently heard that her name was Amy Camus. Read it backwards.

This is true.
    then explain this!
    http://amycamus.com/
    peace, stein. . .

• Then look at this... YMA SUMAC[/b]