question..actually more asking for advice

marskeeemarskeee 66 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i know lots of yall worked on hella mixtape projects..ive done a good amount before, but lately its been hard for me to "get in mode" the concepts are killing me. im currently working on a project but no matter what i put down. it doesnt sound right when i listen to it. does this happen to yall? am i trippen or what? how do i fix this without getting drunk or high?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    work on a rough draft and get someone you trust to give you an opinion on it

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i know lots of yall worked on hella mixtape projects..ive done a good amount before, but lately its been hard for me to "get in mode" the concepts are killing me. im currently working on a project but no matter what i put down. it doesnt sound right when i listen to it. does this happen to yall? am i trippen or what? how do i fix this without getting drunk or high?

start something else and come back to this.

no point in forcing progress on a project if you don't like what's goin down.

• Shit can be tough I am in a real slump right now trying to finish up a bunch of things. Its important to change up your routine when you get stuck. Try and work on something different. If you are working on a hip hop mix and cant get anywhere do a little funk mix. Also don't compare yourself to others. I do this to myself all the time. I hear a really good mix someone else did and I just get frustrated and feel like I need to go back to the drawling board. Just do what you do best.

• i'm sorry, but it really isn't this hard dude.

that being said, sometimes i just don't feel creative and i don't do anything.

getting drunk or high helps nothing.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    how do i fix this without getting drunk or high?

Get Jacob the Jeweler to host?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    The fact that you come here for help is a good sign. Now tell us about your childhood.

• how do i fix this without getting drunk or high?

whats wrong with that?

• hey thanks for all your guys' input on it. makes more sense. nothings wrong with getting drunk or high to get down but i dont smoke no more and drinking really doesnt work for me and my projects. thanks again though! really helpful

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Goin thru this right now. I'm just trying to get the mix right/clean - then i'll worry about where i can add cuts or whatever - not multi-tracking - but just trying to lay down a foundation then will go back and pick it apart. I do this quite often, I can't just make a mix or make beats I literally got to be in that creative mood - and like other dudes said - "don't force it"

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    The fact that you come here for help is a good sign.

LOL!

Now tell us about your childhood.

DO IT!

• marskeee, get a change of perspective. go for a walk. go to borders/barnes and noble. dont waste time listening over and over its only going to frustrate you more. maybe if you have a friend have them listen to what you have already. maybe it already is good and you need another persons perspective to let you know. peace, stein. . .