CAN ST. LOUIS REALLY COME BACK?

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm getting a bad feeling for the 'Stros now... just like I had for the Cubs when Steve Bartman fouled up Chicagoans' lifelong dreams in the playoffs 2 years ago. I knew it was over for the Cubbies when that happened. Did you see the faces of those Houston fans when Pujols hit that home run to win game 5? So what it do, baseball folls... can Houston overcome that crushing defeat on Monday night and make it to their 1st ever World Serious? Real headz wanna know.

Comments

• I'm on the verge of tears, Philllll.

Do it for J.R.!

• Damn dude I want the Astros to win this. But this pic

DEEEEEEEEEEEEYUUUUUM!!!!! YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I'm on the verge of tears, Philllll.

Do it for J.R.!

do it for jose as well

• I'm on the verge of tears, Philllll.

Do it for J.R.!

do it for jose as well

Massive Stro-Sign.

• That was absolutely THE biggest choke since the '86 Sox/Mets/Buckner debacle.

One out away with a 2 run lead. They had it and gave it away.

You don't do that.

The real question is can Houston really come back?

I'll be SHOCKED if they can recover from this and win one more game out of the next two.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I hope so. I thought Berkman's run sealed the deal, and I'm kind of glad I missed STL's winning run because of dinner.

• I'd be shocked if Houston can recover from this actually.

this is ovah.

St. Louis is a much better team than the Astros. St Louis was playing badly and the astros were playing well. is clemens the probable starter for the seventh? I wanna see him choke. aw hell, I dont like either of these teams.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Carpenter should deliver a performance on which St. Lou can get a win. More importantly, like last year, it depends on whether or not St. Lou's offense shows up.

Really, though, who cares about the NL.

Let's go go go White Sox!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• parenparen 537 Posts

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yeah, I'm tryin' to see those Sox in the series too. The Bosox last year and now the Chisox this year? That would be CRAZY. Once in a lifetime schitt, mayne.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Dudes, fuck Houston.

Go Cards.

-e

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Dudes, fuck Houston.

Go Cards.

-e

cosigned.

also, not to derail this thread, but that "Bartman ball" was uncatchable. Deal with it Chicago.

You don't do that.
    I'll be SHOCKED if they can recover from this and win one more game out of the next two.

PAUL! Stop it.

You can't really compare Poo-Holes, one of the best hitters in the game, crushing what I believe was an 86-mph slider that missed (as opposed to Lidge's main pitch, the hit-me-if-you-can down-the-middle 97-mph fastball) to an adult athlete letting a grounder go between his legs. I mean, come on now. Should they have walked him to load the bases?

I have faith (somehow) that Roy's gonna pull this one out tonight. More faith, actually, than I'd have in Roger doin' his thing tomorrow.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

That was absolutely THE biggest choke since the '86 Sox/Mets/Buckner debacle.
    You don't do that.

PAUL! Stop it.

You can't really compare Poo-Holes, one of the best hitters in the game, crushing what I believe was an 86-mph slider that missed (as opposed to Lidge's main pitch, the hit-me-if-you-can down-the-middle 97-mph fastball) to an adult athlete letting a grounder go between his legs. I mean, come on now. Should they have walked him to load the bases?[/b]

I have faith (somehow) that Roy's gonna pull this one out tonight. More faith, actually, than I'd have in Roger doin' his thing tomorrow.

Yes. They should have walked Albert to get to ailing Reggie Sanders who likely would have popped or grounded out. They would have had a force out at every base and much better chances of, at the worst, winning by only one run.

You don't do that.

PAUL! Stop it.

You can't really compare Poo-Holes, one of the best hitters in the game, crushing what I believe was an 86-mph slider that missed (as opposed to Lidge's main pitch, the hit-me-if-you-can down-the-middle 97-mph fastball) to an adult athlete letting a grounder go between his legs. I mean, come on now. Should they have walked him to load the bases?[/b]

Yes. They should have walked Albert to get to ailing Reggie Sanders who likely would have popped or grounded out. They would have had a force out at every base and much better chances of, at the worst, winning by only one run.

What you don't do is sail something fat over the plate. You see it! Pujols bodied it!!!

A pitching mistake is still a choke meng.

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
    The big mistake was walking Edmonds. All Lidge had to do was throw him three straight high fastballs and he would have whiffed on all three.

Go Cards!!!

STL 4 Life!!!!

• Dudes, fuck st.louis.

Go Stros.

-j

• PAUL! Stop it.

You can't really compare Poo-Holes, one of the best hitters in the game, crushing what I believe was an 86-mph slider that missed (as opposed to Lidge's main pitch, the hit-me-if-you-can down-the-middle 97-mph fastball) to an adult athlete letting a grounder go between his legs. I mean, come on now. Should they have walked him to load the bases?

This was ABSOLUTELY the biggest choke since '86, Hogg. Absolutely!!

But the Pujols homer was not the key to this monumental choke.

With 2 outs in the 9th it should have never have gotten that far to begin with!!

A 2 run lead and 2 outs IN THE 9th!!!

Okay. Eckstien gets a cheap hit. Okay. Whatever. That's baseball.

YOU DON'T TURN AROUND AND WALK EDMONDS ON 4 PITCHES!!!!!!

That was the key right there.

Once Lidge walked Edmonds I knew they were fucked.

You fucking throw someone like Edmonds right down the middle of the plate.

You attack someone like him.

At the VERY WORST, he ties it with a home run.

What you DON'T do is WALK Edmonds to face Pujols!!!!!

"Gag" icon?

Houston

• The big mistake was walking Edmonds. All Lidge had to do was throw him three straight high fastballs and he would have whiffed on all three.

• Okay, you said your piece. But I don't think it's Houston just yet.

And neither does Billy Wagner:

Wagner isn't as worried about Lidge's psyche as he is about the psyche of those around him -- and whether the Astros would be tempted to walk Pujols next time around. "I hope they allow him to go out and face that guy the next time," Wagner said. "He might give up another home run -- but I doubt it. In fact, I'd take that to the bank.

"This kid [Lidge] is destined for greatness," said Billy Wagner. "If they stay with him, and he's on teams that get him to the playoffs, he's the next Mariano Rivera, without a doubt. Ever see the hitters' faces when they come up to hit against him? They're just hoping to find one ball they might put in play. He needs to remember that now."

Jayson Stark adds:

Last October, you might remember, he blew the first postseason save opportunity he'd ever been handed. Lidge was so traumatized, he then went out and pitched 10 2/3 more innings in that postseason, gave up one hit and struck out 17.[/b]

This year, in the regular season, he blew just four saves. In his next save opportunity after those four, his numbers looked like this: 4 IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 7 whiffs.

So when his teammates look at him, they don't see a guy they expect to panic.

"He's gotten through rough times before," said Pettitte. "It hasn't all been gravy, you know. I've seen him blow saves before and bounce back. So I think he'll be aggressive. He's never folded up in the face of competition before. Somebody with that stuff, there's no reason to be scared."

I'll admit that my "faith" has been downgraded to "hope" but such is the life of an Astros fan.

• I'll admit that my "faith" has been downgraded to "hope" but such is the life of an Astros fan.

Take it from a lifelong Red Sox fan, I know full well hopelesness and despair and can recognize it when I see it in my players eyes.

On paper, Houston still has a better shot.

All they need to do is win one out of 2 games.

St. Louis has to win 2 in a row.

But after that choke, it's St.Louis who's down 3 games to 2, who goes home completely pumped.

Who has the momentum here?

I'd love to see Houston do it.

But we shall see.

• it's St.Louis who's down 3 games to 2, who goes home completely pumped.

That's why I say its over. Home team advandage. Most lay people dont realize how big of an advantage this is. When your away you are playing to tie, its like being black in chess. St louis can easily win two games back to back at their field, even if the Rocket is pitching. "Last at bats" is probably the biggest advantage in any game one could can play.

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
    Remember, STL was down 3-2 last year coming back to Busch and won both games.

• So what it do, baseball folls... can Houston overcome that crushing defeat on Monday night and make it to their 1st ever World Serious? Real headz wanna know.

YES

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm guessing Clemens vs. Garland in Game 1

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• I stand corrected.

Congrats.

Should be a great series. Not that it's going to be a cakewalk for either team, but this Houston win
    certainly doesn't bode well for Chicago in that it shows the 'Stros won't give up for shit.

• YEAH BITCHES!!!
    IN YO FACE!