u think we will ever have a "classic-rap" station?

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i was just thinking about this. like, in maybe 5 more years?when did we start having "classic rock" stations?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they do on digital cable!!!

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    true, and that is nice.

but i want clear channel or radio one to come correct with that shit.

i know they got that shit on xm and sirius too. but i dont have that shit.

and i like to listen to regular radio.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    It will happen. GUARANTEED.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    daddy, do we have to listen to 'fight the power' AGAIN[/b]

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    but i want clear channel or radio one to come correct with that shit.

If they're still around...

Radio One already features a classic R&B/soul/funk format, coming up through the late 1980s, with a few new-er songs thrown in. But really, that's all it is. Most of the songs span about late 60s to late 90s.

It shouldn't be too long before classic rap hits, assuming there's a market. It may not hit regular FM though, with declining listenership most aren't interested in any sort of niche market (beyond huge niches, like talk radio).

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    daddy, do we have to listen to S>'fight the power'/S> 'all about the benjamins' AGAIN[/b]

• I rented a car a few weeks ago that had XM and here's this station called "the Mic" or something. At first I was geeked to be driving around Vermont listening to Roxanne Shante, but then I realized they were just playing random tracks. Every now and then, they would stumble upon a good album cut, but most of the time they were playing artists that were popular in 1989 but their worst songs, which meant a lot of Heavy D and so on. And then a dj would drop a set who couldnt match beats. Look what happnened to classic rock stations. Same boring shit over and over again. TROY is already something of a tiny dancer. I say keep rap off the radio altogether.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I hope so, but no genre is more forgetful of its past than hip-hop. Also, bear in mind that today, Biggie is old school.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

I hope so, but no genre is more forgetful of its past than hip-hop. Also, bear in mind that today, Biggie is old school.

quotes an nyc radio station:

"back in the day, new york city, 1999......"

WTF?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    quotes an nyc radio station circa 1993:

"back in the day, new york city, 1987......"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i was just thinking about this. like, in maybe 5 more years?

when did we start having "classic rock" stations?

mr. cee with the throwback lunch joints.

• assuming there's a market.

I'm not sure DC is gonna go for this.

I think all we'll get is another "classic" R&B from the 90s station. Chocolate City kids know what I mean.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    daddy, do we have to listen to S>'fight the power'/S> 'all about the benjamins' AGAIN[/b]

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I am sure there will be in the next five years. One must also consider the state of radio in five years as well.

I could easily see a lot of us doing it, I would do it, I have the radio experience.

But, under whose rules? The great thing about those old radio airchecks was the willingness to give anyone a shot. You could play a B-side, you could play an album track, or fuck up a cut on the air, and admit to the listeners "sorry, I messed up on that".

As someone said, will it be under Diddy Enterprises? If so, wouldn't the scope be limited to his work and the hits, because it does and WILL pay the bills, preferably his. None of you can't tell me that this hasn't been noticed on MTV Jams, VH-1 Soul, etc, where there's been an incredible abundance of Uptown-related airplay.

But, if it's "All About The Benjamins", can I squeeze in Kings Of Pressure? If it's going to be Black Sheep's "The Choice Is Yours", can I play The Pharcyde's "Pork"? If it's "In Da Club", would I be able to play "Rise, Black Man, Rise" along with it? The great thing about rap music before the mainstream attack was the willingness to play and listen to anything and everything. Even if it sucked, it was a bit of "well, let's put this on the side". With every J.T.'s "Swing It" there's Geto Boys' "Do It Like A G.O.", with every "Shake It Like A White Girl" there's a "Dirt Road White Girl".

I'd like to see it done, and I hope it makes room for all sides of hip-hop. But would a mainstream station be able to define itself as a "community" when mainstream radio only cares about the advertising dollar which looks for the "I will buy that because I heard it on the radio" community?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    we're already almost there with the re-emergence of

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Good to know