GODWIN'S LAW

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Godwin's law (also Godwin's rule of Nazi analogies) is an adage in Internet culture that was originated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states that:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.[/b]

There is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. Many people understand Godwin's law to mean this, although (as is clear from the statement of the law above) this is not the original formulation.

It is considered poor form to arbitrarily raise such a comparison with the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely-recognized codicil that any such deliberate invocation of Godwin's law will be unsuccessful.

Origin[/b]
Godwin's law is named after Mike Godwin, who was legal counsel for the Electronic Frontier Foundation in the early 1990s, when the law was first popularized. (Godwin is now the legal director at Public Knowledge.)

Finding the "meme" of Nazi comparisons on Usenet both illogical and offensive, Godwin established the law as a "counter-meme," a term Godwin expressly uses in his 1994 article about Godwin's Law (see external link below). The law's memetic function is not to end discussions (or even to classify them as "old"), but to make participants in a discussion more aware of whether a comparison to Nazis or Hitler is appropriate, or is simply a rhetorical overreach.

Many people have extended Godwin's law to imply that the invoking of the Nazis as a debating tactic (in any argument not directly related to World War II or the Holocaust) automatically loses the argument, simply because the nature of these events is such that any comparison to any event less serious than genocide, ethnic cleansing, barbaric medical tests or extinction is invalid and in poor taste.

Richard Sexton maintains that the law is a formalization of his October 16, 1989 post

You can tell when a USENET discussion is getting old when one of the participents (sic) drags out Hitler and the Nazis.[/b]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

[Dude's been reading your mail.]

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Sticky, please.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Sticky, please.

FASCIST!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Sticky, please.

FASCIST!

WhatHappened?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    the nature of these events is such that any comparison to any event less serious than genocide, ethnic cleansing, barbaric medical tests or extinction is invalid and in poor taste.

I'd change the "or" to an "and," but yeah, I'd agree. Interesting post.

In a dimly related note:

Drunk Poli-Something-Major Guy A Few Years Ago: "This bullshit legislation is a total rape of the system."

My Girl Claire A Few Years Ago: "Dude, do you understand what it's like to be penetrated?"

Drunk Poli-Something-Major Guy A Few Years Ago: [silence]

• if youre going to keep em you might wanna try to delay the 2nd hit a little bit.. like some ms... im a bit nazi when it comes to drums i guess, but i just wanna help out!

^^^^
    taken from the alicia keyes thread. And it seems that thread is dead now. But what does it mean if one compares oneself to Nazis? I dont think that is necessarily in bad taste and does not compromise the Poster's position.

Again, where's the synchronicity graemlin??

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    cahoots i've noticed what you say to be true on boards since the dawn of usenet.

phenom 2: girls who post on boards under dude's / asexual monikors (again often known to be chicks only by the boards cognisenti)

In a dimly related note:

There's a few posts on the front page right now that are yearning for GODWIN status.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

In a dimly related note:

There's a few posts on the front page right now that are yearning for GODWIN status.

HAH!

In a dimly related note:

HAH!

YOU TALKING TO ME?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

In a dimly related note:

HAH!

YOU TALKING TO ME?

PSYCHO!!!

In a dimly related note:

HAH!

YOU TALKING TO ME?

PSYCHO!!!

ANTI-SEMIGHT!!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

In a dimly related note:

HAH!

YOU TALKING TO ME?

PSYCHO!!!

ANTI-SEMIGHT!!!!!

SPECIESIST.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Nice post Bam, very interesting theory. I feel like in the real world too, whenever an argument or discussion hits the Nazi references, it has definitely jumped the shark.

Something I've noticed about message boards: There seems to be a phenomenon where in a lot of cases, the men who post are a lot more forgiving to women who post... In the sense that women who post regularly on message boards need not prove themselves as much as men in order to be "down" with whatever message board clique is running things around that particular board. I'm having trouble articulating what I mean, but I think that in the world of online communities where dudes are real quick to clown one another or talk shit over minor trivialities (way more than they would do face to face), a lot of female posters are exempt from this type of treatment (which is a good thing obviously). I should note that the only boards that I frequent are hip hop related.

Maybe I'm crazy though, anyone else notice this?

i notice this and it kind of bugs me but it's one of those weird things that it's hard to call people on and to know how to change it. i do regret having miss in my name and was thinking of changing it but it would seem heavy-handed.

there is the duality that happens where in direct posts between individuals all is well and nice, but still the general atmosphere of a Board or a thread can be pretty fucking ugly and sexist.

i don't know if male posters who do think a female poster is full of shit hold back or that they have this innate forgiveness where they don't even hear it or read it or see it in the same way they would if it were a dude.

it would hurt and be embarassing, but i'd rather be called on my shit than be forgiven cause i'm a chick.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'll call you out, lady. You changed the avatar of the two beautiful looking handsome men to a freaking cassette.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'll call you out, lady. You changed the avatar of the two beautiful looking handsome men to a freaking cassette.

LOL

too much of a good thing will spoil them - best to leaving them begging for more.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

In a dimly related note:

There's a few posts on the front page right now that have reached[/b] GODWIN status.