International wire transfers?

JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
So I'm buying some records off a dealer in Brazil, and he wants me to pay through a bank transfer. My branch of Bank of America charges USD$45 for international wire transfers, which is a huge chunk of what the records cost in the first place.Does anyone know a cheaper way to do international bank transfers?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my work deals in wire transfers every day, so unless you're dealing in thousands of dollars, see if they will accept a cashiers check or money order... usually $4.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Guy won't Paypal? Maybe you could get an international money order.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Western Union Money Transfer? Sometimes I get paid that way. I think is cheap for the buyer.

Of course the seller will have to move his ass to the nearest WU agent.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    my work deals in wire transfers every day, so unless you're dealing in thousands of dollars, see if they will accept a cashiers check or money order... usually $4.

Isn't this like sending cash through the mail though? What if it gets lost?

Is there a safer way to send you International Money Order?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i totally thought it said "wife" transfers, and this thread was about some crazy, kinky mail order bride swapping or some shit

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    i totally thought it said "wife" transfers, and this thread was about some crazy, kinky mail order bride swapping or some shit

PM me your address, I have a NM/NM (Body/Soul) that I would like to trade.

well, unlike sending cash, a international money order is certified and traceable... at least as far as being able to verify that it has been deposited.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    well, unlike sending cash, a international money order is certified and traceable... at least as far as being able to verify that it has been deposited.

Yeah, I've done postal IMOs to Japan and France with no problem. Unfortunately, Brazil is one of the countries that doesn't have a reciprocal IMO agreement with their postal system...

I'll see if dude is amenable to Western Union, they transfer to Brazil...

Anyone else have experience with bank/wire transfers?

Anyone else have experience with bank/wire transfers?
    yes. they're expensive and take forever to clear.

What if the IMO gets lost in route? Is there any way to recover your funds?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    yes. they're expensive and take forever to clear.

I guess bank transfers are a lot cheaper and more common down there. I know that a lot of people pay their bills, magazine subscriptions, etc. with bank transfers because the postal system can be unreliable.

jesus! i think (may be wrong... but am pretty sure) that if funds haven't been accepted after 90days, all is null and void. but how often does that shit really happen? i'd be more worried about some fucker paying himself back via paypal to be honest (in the opposite situation).

jesus! i think (may be wrong... but am pretty sure) that if funds haven't been accepted after 90days, all is null and void. but how often does that shit really happen? i'd be more worried about some fucker paying himself back via paypal to be honest (in the opposite situation).

But do you get your money back, if money order has not been cashed?

But do you get your money back, if money order has not been cashed?
    hahaha! yes. i'm 99% sure that if it's not deposited in 90days, the cashola comes back, maybe minus a small fee.