Good Norwegian records

bropsbrops 182 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Since it's officially a records only day, I though why not share some of the good music from Norway as you hopefully know about, but might not.First out it's Atomic.This record came out in 2003 on Jazzland, as is one of our best labels beside Rune Grammofon and Smalltown Supersound. I think this is one of the best norwegian jazz records. Of course we have bands like Supersilent, as I like very much, but they are weirder, and this is just plain, simple jazz, and it kicks ass. Sometimes reminds me of Thrill Jockey-bands like Isotope 217.Title track: Boom Boom

Comments

• bropsbrops 182 Posts

The Thing is a trio of Mats Gustafsson, Paal Nilssen-Love and Ingebrigt H??ker Flaten. This is their third album, I think, and it's a good one. The title of the album, Garage, comes from an old The Sonics classic as they've also covered. Besides that they have also covered "Art Star" (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) and Aluminium (The White Stripes). I specially like "Art Star". It's just brilliant.

MP3: Art Star

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    "More! More! More!" the crowd shouted.

Okey, let's get real (or dreamy) then. The Dream was a psych/pop/blue-eyed soul band from the late 60s, and this record was released in 67. It was Terje Rypdal's band, one of Norway's most famous rock artists. One track is called "Hey Jimi", and it's almost like a tribute to the man himself (it's said that Jimi Hendrix heard this band and liked them). There was a bunch of bands inspired by the Beatles in Norway at this time, but The Dream was one of the few stand outs, and they had a more american sound or style in some way.

Green Things (From Outer Space)
    Driftin'
    I'm Counting on You
    Hey Jimi

• this is the real deal, the dopest norwegian record around, case closed ..

Meaning of love

We could be flying

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Some more realness then:

Across Your Life