can records sound better over time??

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
We all know that vinyl can wear out and sound like shit if it is mistreated. But Im curious, can records be 'broken in'? How one would proove this theory out I have no idea. But, is it not too far off to think that maybe that factory pressing defects (ie hiss, skips, pops) can be worn out and eventually sound better? Is this making any sense?

Comments

• call me crazy, but I think some of the pop and hiss adds character to a record...
    as long as we are not talking skips and 'ticks'...
    especially mellow and quiet storm type soul just sounds better w/ a little noise

I don't know about sounding less noisy, though

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yes i think this to be true

same way you break in a cartridge you can break in a record.. i often find new records to be cut way to freakin loud and sizzzzzllllyy ... a few spins tends to soften the harsh edges

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    call me crazy, but I think some of the pop and hiss adds character to a record...
    as long as we are not talking skips and 'ticks'...
    especially mellow and quiet storm type soul just sounds better w/ a little noise

I don't know about sounding less noisy, though
    I think it depends on how loud the music was recorded on vinyl. If it was recorded very low, then pops and hisses= a shitty listening experience.

• WINE CELLAR

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    On new records you have to get rid of the mould release residue. That's why it's recommended to clean even new copies. On old records, if you do not clean them before play them, the needle makes the "cleaning" work everytime you play them, and that's why you hear improvements in sound.

Mang, I feel like a record nerd answering these questions.