SPIRITUAL jazz album PANT WETTER: Kawaida

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
This was a white whale of mine for a long time. I actually owned at one point every pressing. Although I found a few mentions of it being released on 3rd street records, I doubt the existence of that record. So OG is on O'be. It was re-released on trip TWICE. Once under Mtume, then again as Herbie Hancock "Traces" (only a few tracks!). Both Trip pressings are pretty much junk and so was the first O'be press I found. It's been released on CD ONCE as a german import by Herbie Hancock & Don Cherry in the "100 years of jazz" series. No mention of Kawaida anywhere on it. Anyhow it features Toudie Heath, Buster Williams, Don Cherry, Mtume, herbie hancock, etc... not an outright melter, but it will grow on you. Sublime. http://sulley.dm.ucf.edu/~aschrock/temp/images/kawaida.zip

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hey Asch, I've seen that on Springboard and DJM Records as well. I was wondering what it was like. Soon I will know???

• Shop in Japan called Ambush has these sealed for yards.
    2800 Yen or some shit.

• thank you for this, amazingly beautiful.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Best day on SoulStrut EVAR!!!

• Hey Asch, I've seen that on Springboard and DJM Records as well. I was wondering what it was like. Soon I will know???

What's DJM records? European label?

• Shop in Japan called Ambush has these sealed for yards.
    2800 Yen or some shit.

O'be press? I was sleeping then... that's about what I paid for mine tho no harm done

Hey Asch, I've seen that on Springboard and DJM Records as well. I was wondering what it was like. Soon I will know???

What's DJM records? European label?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJM_Records

A lot of Guitar Watsons late 70s stuff was released in Europe on DJM, as well as the Bongo Band records and lots more.

The one on DJM i saw looks like this:

The other one was on Springboard and was called 'Traces'. Same sessions, different package.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    thank you for this, amazingly beautiful.

• greatly appreciated.. love that kamili-track. only got the buddy terry version of it since earlier. any other known interpretations of this track?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    This was a white whale of mine for a long time. I actually owned at one point every pressing.

Although I found a few mentions of it being released on 3rd street records, I doubt the existence of that record. So OG is on O'be. It was re-released on trip TWICE. Once under Mtume, then again as Herbie Hancock "Traces" (only a few tracks!).

Interesting. I always wondered where some of those tunes on "Traces" came from. I had that one for years filed it away, found the Obe pressing of Kawaida, never connected the two.

i have a 45 somewhere on Obe which is a live version of one of the tunes off the first Charles Tolliver- Strata East records, flip has Babs Gonzalez (not at his best either). weird.