BEST MIX OF ALL TIME? HARVEY SARCASTIC DISCO LINK

stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
this mix...is a monster without being "psych"...is one for the heads sans mention of "hip-hop"...and hits harder than most "breakbeat rare"...it's free folks!!!http://www.harveysarcasticdisco.com/cd/index.htmHARVEY is a well-respected DJ who is known for his associations with major clubs in the UK such as Ministry of Sound and Fabric, but he is probably better known as being one of the last truly eclectic DJs on the dance music scene. Harvey stays true to the roots of the music traditions established by such foundation clubs as the Paradise Garage or the Loft (or at least the legends of those clubs), in that he seamlessly spins a broad range of new/old sounds and styles geared towards one thing ??? getting the crowd to move. Perpetually ahead of the curve, he has no problem playing records side by side that most would never think to put together. Beach Boys, 70s soul & disco, techno, James Brown, chicago house, Kraftwerk, hip-hop, Steve Miller Band, and more. His main technique is that whatever works gets thrown into the mix. We first experienced Harvey at Wicked in San Francisco in 1996. Our previous experience with house music in California had been the typically straightforward ???four on the floor??? beats, steady tempo all night long type of vibe. Harvey, on the other hand, blew us away with his leftfield sound and style, starting his set by dropping cuts like Billy Cobham jazz fusion and samples from ???Beat Street??? into the mix, and then later bringing down the house with James Brown???s ???Give It Up Or Turnit Loose.??? It was not what we were expecting to hear. So impressed with his set at Wicked, we tried to get in touch with him to DJ a party in Los Angeles. We eventually contacted him through friends of friends, and were very fortunate that he he was actually interested in coming out and DJing for us. Coming from the shared background of skateboarding and surfing, we found that he was a regular down-to earth guy, ready to just experience the LA lifestyle ??? definitely no superstar DJ ego. When Harvey DJ???ed in LA for that first time, he amazed us all with his track selection and mixing style. He brought a new sound that changed our perception of what dance music and DJing could and should be. Every time we see him DJ, it???s a new sound and new experience. Just when you think you know what he???s going to play next, he comes out with something fresh and new that is distinctly Harvey. It seems that Harvey???s approach is that he???s actually there as a host of the music and the party, not just as a faceless DJ in the booth hidden away from the crowd. Exactly the opposite, he always has a smile on his face and knows how to have fun. He???s not just merely playing records, he feels the music and gets into it. It???s like he has one foot on the dancefloor and is actually involved with the crowd and taking part in the experience. Since 1997, Harvey has come to LA for the last 5 years. His presence in Southern California has had a major impact, which has changed the Los Angeles dance music scene. He???s shown us how to create a special atmosphere for parties ??? not just in mixing and leftfield selections, but things like putting special care into the sound and lighting. Every element is important to the whole. In fact, this attitude and dedication to quality has inspired us to put more time and effort into our productions. Harvey has inspired us not only with the music he plays, but also passing on his knowledge of the music, as well as sharing with us his study master techniques of the dance music culture. We can???t thank Harvey enough for taking time out of his busy schedule to do this mix (of course, it was valuable time away from making his long-awaited debut album, coming soon!). ??? The Sarcastics, 2001

Comments

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    this mix is pure magic. must've been a few years since i fell for its eclectic charms and it still sounds boss to this day. like hearing the conmen tapes for the first time, it made me run to the nearest record store and listen to as many LPs/12"s/45s as time would allow... they took me to a place where genres are irrelevant and every tune, melody, beat, stab, loop, or atmospheric that struck a chord became a potential victim to my crates...

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    This is supposed to be a dance mix? Pretty low bpm's if'n ya ask me... You are refering to the "vol. 2" mix that you can stream from the link right?

yup...
    check it...

sorry but imo, harvey is & has always been hype, funny how LA was so late to the harvey game, now they think he is some sort of god behind the decks, he does play some dope shit & has mad crates, but it's just not over the top & i have seen many back yard cats do the same shit since the early 80's.
    just my 2

that's cool, but what do you think of the mix?
    not talking fashion, trends or how OG/down anybody is... just the music...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ... just the music...

Chadski, Paul T, and Kevin are good peoples. Yo Sarca if you're reading this, holla.

DJ Harvey for president.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    fuck yeah

harvey is the man

black cock baby

that said real audio mixes suck arse

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I'm sorry but I'm not too into this mix, really this is for dancin'? Highest bpm I heard was 115 ish. To be honest i just skimed around though b/c I found it kinda

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I spent the years 88-94 going to a lot of Tonka, Moist and other Harvey nights - fucking great parties.

Anyone need the Love Hotel EP on Black Cock?

• RYPYRYPY 7 Posts
    A copy of Black Cock 007 - Mystic Slot - No Way Back/Disco Adventure just went for ??88 on the bay.

Disco Adventure is an edit of Jimmy 'Bo' Horne's "Is It In" which is absolutely mind blowing on a big system first and only time i've heard it was at Motherfunk a very long running midweek funk night here in edinburgh.

I'm looking for a copy but thats pushing the boat out.

• i just picked up the jimmy bo horne...killer track and one that could use an edit to extend that break that comes out of nowhere...guess harvey done did it already.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    That mix got some play in my crib for a while. Some nice tunes on there, especially that Severed Heads one.

Not generally a fan of Black Cock or Harvey on the decks though.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I like his edit of Pleasure's 'Joyous' ...runs to about 10 mins

• RYPYRYPY 7 Posts
    I like his edit of Pleasure's 'Joyous' ...runs to about 10 mins

i'll be tracking that down, thanks for that.

my favorite is when RV scratches

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    raise your hand if you want me to RAR this baby up in seperate mp3s

hand raised

• ^^ Like midnight on New Years raised.

• RYPYRYPY 7 Posts
    raise your hand if you want me to RAR this baby up in seperate mp3s

where do i get software to RAR this baby down?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This defintely sounds like a mix that will grow on you.