Ferrari's Record Day Private ISH (mp3)

DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I got a couple here that should be of interest on today's glorious record day. The theme is private press Boston face melters.I'll start off with a real killer that I got in a trade. My first big trade and I've told the story tons of times but never included pics and audio so this is the real ish! About a year ago, I was doing my routine lunchtime Goodwill digging when I came across a Greyship Daviz 12". I had no idea what it was, but it looked cool and the label was Rokksteady, so I picked it up. I listenend to it when I got home and didn't really like it so I filed it away. A few months later I'm looking through our very own Jinx's eBay sales and see that he has this record up so I watch it. Voila, it fetches around $150. I immediately PM him and ask him the deal. He tells me it's in demand and he's got another guy interested so he puts me in touch with him. I email said dude telling him I've got one for trade. We go back and forth on stuff for a while until he calls me the day after my birthday party (hungover, duh) and plays me this record over the phone. He says he's found 3 copies, kept one, traded another one and this one is all that's left. He says he has no info on them, but that it's on some serious Stark Reality type shit. I hear a few tracks through the phone and after I picked my face up off the ground I said hell yes! Let's do it. A 1 to 1 trade and this shows up. Luckily about 6 months later, I find another Greyship Daviz 12" at the same Goodwill. What are the chances! Anyways, I'm pleased to present Band X. Band X - Afterthoughts Band X - Home Next up we rewind in time to when I first start expanding my record collection outside of hip hop. Cough, 2 years ago, cough. Sorry, I had some pop tarts caught in my throat there. My parents have some records so I start peeking through and get standard issue jazz fusion records... Passport, Cobham, Abercrombie, etc. They live in Boston and I live in California so I only make it back to see them a couple times a year. Every time, i would take more records. Well, one trip I'm flipping through and I see one I hadn't seen before... and it had the coolest cover yet. Vonnegut? I think, wow this could be cool. I look in the sleeve and see it's empty. Rats! Oh wait, it's not empty, there's a 7 incher in there. I put it on and it melts my face off. Serious tear jerking sweet soul/jazz. And now, I present Classical Soul featuring mae Arnette. Classical Soul - On the Other Side Well, enjoy my contributions to record day. I would have done more, but I had to rush out to catch the Ugly Duckling show with King 'Host with the' Most. Good times.Happy Record Day!DJ Ferrari

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    that last joint is melting my face off right now! thx ferrari!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Diggin' that Band X "Home" joint!

SG

• that band x is probably my most wanted record.
    that home track is one of those perfect gorgeous songs to me.
    thanks to that kon and amir comp for hipping me.
    if anyone has a copy to spare please contact me.
    will even pay for just a dub. want to hear the rest of it really bad.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts

WOW! That Band X is the kinda shit that keeps me buying marginal looking private press ish...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

• Ferrari, thanks for sharing the scoop on that Project X. It's really funny because we had just been talking about that record at Justin's garage sale and I was bugging out over the fact that you had that album (the song "Home" is my shit via the Kon and Amir comp.). Anyway, yesterday I'm flipping through the $1 bin section at Amoeba and I pull this and start looking at the liner notes looking for clues as to the style of music. Then in tiny type at the bottom of the record, I read "The Craig Peyton Group was formerly BAND X." Man, I don't think I've ever been so excited to get home and listen to something. This album came out in 1977 and the main thing that comes across was that these guys were really talented and creative musicians with a kick-ass engineer who made the drums sound really loud. Later in the day I will see about recording a couple songs off it to share with everyone. For now here are pictures.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    cot deeeyum you bay areans are killin' it

THANK YOU FOR SHARING

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Nice! When I started looking around for any info on the band all I could find was that Craig Peyton went on to do solo work. From the looks of the picture, though, it appears that it's the same dudes for the most part. I think there's 3 albums from them. I haven't found any yet, but have been looking out. How is that LP? Yeah, what really stands out on the Band X album is the tight drums that sound very contemporary. Good stuff man, thanks for the added info.

DJ Ferrari

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Ferrari, thanks for sharing the scoop on that Project X. It's really funny because we had just been talking about that record at Justin's garage sale and I was bugging out over the fact that you had that album (the song "Home" is my shit via the Kon and Amir comp.). Anyway, yesterday I'm flipping through the $1 bin section at Amoeba and I pull this and start looking at the liner notes looking for clues as to the style of music. Then in tiny type at the bottom of the record, I read "The Craig Peyton Group was formerly BAND X." Man, I don't think I've ever been so excited to get home and listen to something. This album came out in 1977 and the main thing that comes across was that these guys were really talented and creative musicians with a kick-ass engineer who made the drums sound really loud. Later in the day I will see about recording a couple songs off it to share with everyone. For now here are pictures.

Craig Peyton is that dude, for real.

• As promised, here are a couple songs off the Craig Peyton Group (aka BAND X) album:

http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=355NA3IUIGJGR0H2W7T9D59YMM

http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1ETPS82QMMDPD173CHDM0LKRTM

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

I feel like nothing after this thread...WOW

Anything wise to say on 100th post? errr...YES

I HEART RECORD DAY