1st record you ever got

2»

Comments

• Air Supply -- All out of love 45

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    michael jackson-thriller and a gross don johnson lp...( i liked miami vice when i was a kid)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    First given to me: Kiss Rock and Roll Over (1979 from my neighbor - I put the stickers on the back of the album cover)

First bought: Rolling Stones Tattoo You (1981 from Rolling Stone Records on the west side of Chicago - still have this in the collection)

• The first records that were given to me were the Letter People box set. Moms bought it for a young Garcia Vega, along with a fischer price turntable, so he could learn english. I wish I still had them, I remeber playing them constantly, dancing with my sister, and after seeing the Rockit video, trying to scratch on my fischer price joint.

The first record I bought for myself was Booker T & the MG's "Doin' Our Thing"

• kiss Alive I and basically still have it, but brought other copies to get insert again cuz it went up on the wall toot suite!!!!

Dude, that gatefold is all about the letters from each member. Gene's on some "Dear Victims" S&M type ish, Paul's starts off "Dear Lovers," and of course, Ace begins with "Dear Earthlings."

Then Peter Criss comes in with the pathetic, "Hey, Cat People! Rock your rolls right off" type corniness. It's no surprise that he was the first kicked out of the group.

PS I give Alive II the slight edge over Alive I. HATT ME NOW.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Steve Miller Band- Fly Like an Eagle 45

• Own $: beastie boys "fight for your right" 45 when I was about 10 and
    it was on MTV all the time...

Gift: That uber raer MJ thrilla Joint, and the off the wall poster for the wall...
    I was convinced that in beat it he said "fuckey" instead of "funky", and
    to an 8yr old cursing on a record you could play for your friends: Priceless.

also beat that same record to shit scratching it on my plastic fisher price turntable, the
    Brown 2 tone joint. Wonder if I'll ever run across another copy...

• I remember my mom taking me to the mall so I could buy an album, I was 10...the above record had a song they were playing the shit out of on the radio "Destroyer", the other big tune on the radio that I was considering getting was Joan Jett "I love rocknroll", I had decide between the two...for some reason that I cant recall I went with the Kinks record, still have it also...plays fine.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    my first pick up:

didn't even have a record player, just thought the cover was ill and the Brand Nubian sample killed it

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    with my parents money

west street mob breakdance electric boogie....still play it from time to time....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    i think it was the ghostbusters original soundtrack.....

I think the theme song on 45 was my first record. I really can't remember--I was buying tapes before I bought records. Though come to think of it, Thriller might've been the first one.

*Edit* Actually, scratch all of the above. If we're talking about the first records I ever had, they've gotta be those old read-along storybook records. The 33rpm 7-inches that came with a little 16-page storybook so you could read along with the narration and look at the pictures. I had a bunch of those and wore 'em out.

Also, this joint, which I listened to almost every day:

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    as a lil whippersnapper, i got spanish records... not sure what was my first

first one i bought:

ray bryant - up above the rock for .25

chea

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

when i was a kid i was all about tapes, so i got started late with records. the first one i picked up was late in high school, and it was a 7" by this punk/emo band (the early 90s emo, not the shit they call emo now) called eddy, which had a few guys from my school. some of the dudes that had previously been in tonka. anyways, after that i would only pick up a record here and there, and didn't really get obsessed with it until about 5 or 6 years ago.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I believe the Beach Boys Party LP was my "first" LP, but it was my dad's. The first records bought just for me would've been Thriller or The Bangles- Walk Like an Egyptian 45. I don't remember the first thing I bought with my own money.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I was into tapes too most of the time I was growing up. The first record I ever bought was this

I didn't have a record player but I was pretty into industrial music and I couldn't wait for the full length tape to come out.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Mine was that Pac Man record. I no longer have it but damn...Plus some sesame street ish and of course "Thriller"