What is your genre of preference for fall?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
This is the time of year that I revisit the long neglected jazz section of the collection. Not that I don't listen to jazz much when its warm, but it always seems to take a back seat to soul during the spring and summer months.

Slowly shifting the center of focus from Curtis to Pharoah...

Do you find that the type of music you listen to most changes with the weather?

Happy Record Only Day!

Comments

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    The fall is strictly about pre WWII country blues.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Blazing Downtempo and Native Tongue Hip Hop
    Duderonomy

• Folk and Rock I guess they put me in a fall mood.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Jazz and Rain/Cold Weather just feel right. It's hard to explain, but I'm with you on this.

Perfect Rainy Day Jazz=Jothan Callins

I also like to listen to alot of neo-soul in the fall: Jill Scott, Angie Stone, D'Angelo.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Portishead always rules fall.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    some folk, blazing downtempo, and Gil Scott-Heron.

On a sunny fall drive, nothing beats DB's Secret Art of Science.

• This is a quintessential fall album for me. This and a nice dark beer make me very happy on a fall day.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Nina Simone
    Archie Whitewater
    Erik Satie
    Neil Young

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    dreamy

mellow

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    This is the time of year that I revisit the long neglected jazz section of the collection. Not that I don't listen to jazz much when its warm, but it always seems to take a back seat to soul during the spring and summer months.

Slowly shifting the center of focus from Curtis to Pharoah...

Do you find that the type of music you listen to most changes with the weather?

Happy Record Only Day!

oh yeah drune. I also find myself going back to my freddie hubbard records.

we're so sorry, uncle albert.

• Basically when I start thinking fall. I try and cram all the summer in until I finally admit defeat. Then when I finally come to grips the first fall music that comes to mind would be the soundtrack to the Fantastiks. Which then leads me to thinking of Gladys Knight's The Way We Were. Which of course leads me right into "Can it All Be So Simple" and the whole enter the 36 mood, which gets me pullen out my Timberlands, and preparing for a long winter. I guess I really do pick music that fits my enviorments vibe. I would say also that if the winter is really getting to me I pull out that summer type vibe music, you-know just to pick up the spirits.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    This fall will be the season for me to get a lot of songs recorded. I'll be digging up all my mindbending records.

Rotary Connection

Arthur Brown

New Birth ("Got to Get a Knutt")

Eric Burdon and The Animals/WAR

... and anything else that makes me think outside the box while I try to write raps in 4/4 time.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    for me, fall is about mellow psych and loner folk, and real mellow jip hop like, funkdoobiest 2nd lp is doin it for me right now. lots of nice samples and stuff like that. shit that makes me nostalgic

• jazz is evergreen for me, i like nice folky guitars in fall

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

For some reason, that's my early-summer music.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Spring:

Fall:

Also, a very nostalgic blazing downtempo album:

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    For me, it's the School Band genre. Why, I guess because Fall is traditionally when school starts. That get's me ready for the winter, when I listen to nothing but grimey ass hip-hop from '94.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

For some reason, that's my early-summer music.

Well, you're in IL and I'm in NC...so the temperatures are probably the same.

10 years later it is Mid 90s Indie Rock

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Jazz and raregrooves mainly in the fall.

Shit like Alice Babs "Been To Canaan", Carla Bley "Song Sung Long", Open Sky Unit "Sunshine Star", etc. for jazz.

Winter is mostly straight ahead Bluenote, Verve, Strata East, or moody libraries with lots of vibes or rhodes type shit.

Spring, I'm on some new(ish) RnB, downtempo, house, soul, disco.

Summer is hiphop, latin/brasilian/afro, reggae.

• I'm mostly about new releases so what ever gets released in the fall gets played in the fall.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    It was a long summer of deephouse, disco, boogie and 80s R&B and now, as autumn has taken over, I'm back to the jazz and jazz-sample based, the folky and the melancholic soul tunes again.
    Just finished a mix reflecting these recently changed listening habits.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Skoluda/the-partys-over/