Question for Needle Afficianados- My Dilemma

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I recently got a record with major hair line scratches. I didn't think much of it, as they looked to be only surface deep, until I played it on my main deck (uses a Grado Gold needle, which is a low output "player" needle). Well, it sounded like ass.In a last ditch effort to salvage it, I decided to try playing it on my Vestax portable. Low and behold, all that surface noise completely disappeared. Unfortunately, it also makes it sound a lot more rugged & rough than it should.So, I guess my questions would be:
Is there a higher grade needle I can look into that provides the same clean output as the vestax, only better? What is it that causes a portable needle to play with less static than a player needle? Does it have something to do with the certain frequencies being cut, or is it the shape of the needle, itself?
And yes, i realize this is a very suitcase-ish question.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I think here's the key: stylus/needle profile, that is, the shape of your needle. Elyptical or micro-line (such as Audio Technica 440) profiles put the surface noise in the back. Also what you experienced can be the result of the different depth at which your 2 needles ride the groove.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I think here's the key: stylus/needle profile, that is, the shape of your needle. Elyptical or micro-line (such as Audio Technica 440) profiles put the surface noise in the back. Also what you experienced can be the result of the different depth at which your 2 needles ride the groove.

This is great news!!!!
    Thanks, man.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Update.

I added a 4g+ weight, and it's sounding spectacular!
    Thanks again Jorge!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Update.

I added a 4g+ weight, and it's sounding spectacular!
    Thanks again Jorge!

Lambert, watch out, stay within the recommended tracking force given by the manufacter of your cart. Too much weight could lead to permanent groove damage