pre-Hi Al Green(e)?

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
here's what i know about. is there anything else? some early shit he did in a group?45s:(as Al Greene):Back up train/Don't leave me (Hot line music journal 15,000)Get yourself together/Don't hurt me no more (Hot line music journal 15,001)A lover's hideaway/I'll be good to you (Hot line music journal 15,002)(as Al Green):Guilty/Let me help you (Bell 45,258)Hot wire/Don't leave me (Bell 45,305)and all of these songs are on the hot line music journal lp "Al Greene-Back up train" which was later re-released on bell as "Al Green" (s/t).i'm guessing he must have had some earlier releases, but i can't find any info on them.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    All I know is the Bell stuff is reissuing the Hot Line stuff to cash in after his Hi success... so its weird that 'new' singles would be issued on Bell of the older material...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    All I know is the Bell stuff is reissuing the Hot Line stuff to cash in after his Hi success... so its weird that 'new' singles would be issued on Bell of the older material...

Not really - you just answered your own question. Bell issued "new" singles because they knew they could cash in.

And it worked, too. Al was so hot in 1972 that even a five-year-old track like "Guilty" could become a hit (which it did).

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

"I'll be good to you" seems to be a slept on track. it's so fucking tough.

No shit. That was always my favorite cut on the Bell album...second only to "Back Up Train."

And how about that other song where the band stops at the end but Al keeps on going? "MAN, I'M GONE!!!!"

No shit. That was always my favorite cut on the Bell album...second only to "Back Up Train."

And how about that other song where the band stops at the end but Al keeps on going? "MAN, I'M GONE!!!!"

that's what i'm talking about. some of that shit is so bad ass and raw i find it hard to believe it was his recording debut.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I swear I just saw an ebay auction that featured his first recording. It was not an AL Green title. Did anyone else see this?

I swear I just saw an ebay auction that featured his first recording. It was not an AL Green title. Did anyone else see this?

damn, missed that one. wish i hadn't.

anyone know the group/title?

that's what i'm talking about. some of that shit is so bad ass and raw i find it hard to believe it was his recording debut.

I can believe it. Al Green was fairly WILD at first; he wasn't yet the smoothie we know him as today. Hi producer Willie Mitchell gradually toned him down. By the time I'm Still In Love With You came out in 1972, his "Otis Redding" days were over.

I can believe it. Al Green was fairly WILD at first; he wasn't yet the smoothie we know him as today. Hi producer Willie Mitchell gradually toned him down. By the time I'm Still In Love With You came out in 1972, his "Otis Redding" days were over.

i hear what you're saying, but his wild and raw sound on this recording sounds developed to me. could be due to excellent production & mixing though.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

It was probably listed as 'Al Greene and the SOUL-MATES', they were his backing/vocal group when he was on Hot Line Music Journal.

As for early releases go, the 'back up train' single is positively absolutely the first. They originally pressed up 500 copies on Hot Line and then pressed about 12,000 more when it became a hit. (however the second pressing has an 'AMY-BELL' logo on the bottom of the lable, where as the orignal 500 said 'GRANDLAND'.

It was probably listed as 'Al Greene and the SOUL-MATES', they were his backing/vocal group when he was on Hot Line Music Journal.

As for early releases go, the 'back up train' single is positively absolutely the first. They originally pressed up 500 copies on Hot Line and then pressed about 12,000 more when it became a hit. (however the second pressing has an 'AMY-BELL' logo on the bottom of the lable, where as the orignal 500 said 'GRANDLAND'.

thanks for the info. now i gotta find the og pressing of that 45!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

thanks for the info. now i gotta find the og pressing of that 45!

good luck! I'll try and post some stuff about his pre-Bell material tomorrow when I'm not blind drunk. no proimises though.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

good luck! I'll try and post some stuff about his pre-Bell material tomorrow when I'm not blind drunk. no proimises though.

Record-only day is looking as promising as one could hope

As promised...

There has long been speculation in Northern Soul circles that Al Green was actually a part of the People's Choice. No, you poptarts, not the Phil-LA of Soul People's Choice, this People's Choice: http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4056426963
    And, with different musicians, this People's Choice: http://www.funk45.com/index.asp?type=search&page=1&Search=wood+city&Cat=Label&Sortby=Artist&submit=go

Well, the rumors are half true.

Al Green was discovered working at a fish fry in Grand rapids, Michigan (1966, I believe), by Palmer James and Curtis Rodgers, two local musicians looking for talent to feature on a record label they were in the process of establishing. Al's roots were in gospel music, but his heart was always with R&B. Al's father had forbidden him to sing secular music, so he was forced to audition for Curtis and Palmer in secret. When he showed up at Curtis' place, Palmer asked Al if he knew any R&B songs, and Al feigned ignorance, shrugging bashfully and explaining that those types of records weren't allowed in his house. Palmer decided to push the subject a little and asked Al if he had ever heard of Otis Redding. Without saying anything, Al broke into a rendition of "Pain in My Heart". When asked if he knew any Sam Cooke, he did the same thing. Palmer and Al repeated this routine six or seven times, before Al finally copped to owning a large collection of R&B albums that he kept hidden in his bedroom. By the time Al left, Palmer and Curtis were already making plans for Al's first album.

At around this same time, Curtis and Palmer's group, The People's Choice, was garnering a lot of attnetion on the chitlin circuit. Their popularity peaked in 1967 (the same year "Back Up Train" was recorded) after the recording of "Savin' My Lovin' for You", which broke the top 5 on most R&B-friendly radio stations in West Michigan and the Detroit area. Sadly, during the middle of their biggest tour, the lead singer up and left, leaving the People's Choice high and dry. Al Green, who was back in Grand Rapids preparing to record his album on Palmer and James' Hot Line Music Journal label, was promptly asked to fill in, which he did. So, for several weeks in 1967, Al Green was in fact a part of the People's Choice, but none of the performances were ever recorded, and Al's involvement with the group ended along with the tour.

Next time I'll tell y'all about how Marvin Gaye tried to muscle Al off the radio in Detroit by having his cronies physically threaten the DJS.

Next time I'll tell y'all about how Marvin Gaye tried to muscle Al off the radio in Detroit by having his cronies physically threaten the DJS.

To paraphrase Richard Berry: there'll be no "next time," we wanna hear the story RAT NOW!!!

Interesting...I know Marvin had a bug up his ass about Lou Rawls beating him out of a Grammy, but I never knew he had something against Al.

I seem to remember hearing something about JB using strongarm tactics to keep Maceo's solo records off the air when he split from the camp... anyone have details???

Interesting...I know Marvin had a bug up his ass about Lou Rawls beating him out of a Grammy, but I never knew he had something against Al.

From what I remember Breakself telling me. It wasnt anything personal. Just business. Charting and getting airtime was a huge thing back then, and every play counted.

To paraphrase Richard Berry: there'll be no "next time," we wanna hear the story RAT NOW!!!

haha. I'd actually like to get more details about it myself. Curtis Rodgers, the fellow who told me all of the above, started talking about a variety of under-handed tactics employed by popular artists and record execs to make the careers of independent artists "difficult". I was already running two hours late when he started to talk about the Marvin/Al rivalry, so I had to leave before he had a chance to lay it all out for me. We'll be getting together again soon, though, and I'll be sure to get the details when we do.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Al Green was discovered working at a fish fry in Grand rapids, Michigan (1966, I believe)
    I thought he was from Memphis

Al Green was discovered working at a fish fry in Grand rapids, Michigan (1966, I believe)

You thought wrong, hommie. He was born in Arkansas and moved to Grand Rapids when he was young.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

You thought wrong, hommie. He was born in Arkansas and moved to Grand Rapids when he was young.
    Thanks for the info.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The story that I heard about early Al Green is that there was at least one 45 released by a local Grand Rapids label called Zodiac by a vocal group he sang lead with called the Creations, apparently the 45 got play in Chicago & Cincinatti. But looking at the info posted above, the Creations sound like they may also have been called Peoples Choice.??? Anyways, could be one to put on the wants list if it in fact exists. I think I first read about this group in Al Green's autobiography.

The story that I heard about early Al Green is that there was at least one 45 released by a local Grand Rapids label called Zodiac by a vocal group he sang lead with called the Creations, apparently the 45 got play in Chicago & Cincinatti. But looking at the info posted above, the Creations sound like they may also have been called Peoples Choice.??? Anyways, could be one to put on the wants list if it in fact exists. I think I first read about this group in Al Green's autobiography.

I've never heard that rumor before, but I can tell you without reservation that it's false. The Creations were Curtis and Palmer's high school group. They played a mix of doo-wop, pop, and R&B. They were a tremendously popular act, and often played with members of JR Walker's band, but NEVER commited anything to wax. I'm pretty sure that they didn't even know Al Green at the time they were performing. It is true, however, that some of the members of the People's Choice were in the Creations. Curtis showed me a picture of the Creations lead singer, who was apparently a straight up thug. He once did a 5 hour set with the Creations the day after getting over 100 stitches to a knife wound in his abdomen that he sustained in a knife fight. By the end of the night, many of the stitches were coming out and his shirt was totally drenched in blood.

I've never heard that rumor before, but I can tell you without reservation that it's false. The Creations were Curtis and Palmer's high school group. They played a mix of doo-wop, pop, and R&B. They were a tremendously popular act, and often played with members of JR Walker's band, but NEVER commited anything to wax. I'm pretty sure that they didn't even know Al Green at the time they were performing. It is true, however, that some of the members of the People's Choice were in the Creations. Curtis showed me a picture of the Creations lead singer, who was apparently a straight up thug. He once did a 5 hour set with the Creations the day after getting over 100 stitches to a knife wound in his abdomen that he sustained in a knife fight. By the end of the night, many of the stitches were coming out and his shirt was totally drenched in blood.

I just checked Al Green's autobiography & he also mentions them playing often with Jr Walker at El Grotto in Battle Creek & definitely says they recorded for Zodiac & he was lead singer for the group. Could be inaccurate wishful reminiscing on Al's behalf though. He says the Creations members were himself, Lee Virgis, Palmer James, Curtis Rogers & Gene Mason, & that Virgis soon moved into a more managerial role. He also says that he came up with the Creations name for the group. This was about 1966 apparently. It wouldn't be the first time someone has embellished their own autobiography though. He says the sides were recorded at a studio on 28th St. in Grand Rapids, but suspiciously can't remember the names of the songs or any other details.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    ONe of my favorite singles by Al Green on Hi was his very first one: his cover of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" is fire. Seriously.

Oliver

Dude didn't seem all that coherent when I saw him on teevee last year so I wouldn't trust his memory toooo much...

Dude didn't seem all that coherent when I saw him on teevee last year so I wouldn't trust his memory toooo much...
    Yeah, that's what I was speculating, if it were true it would probably be referenced in more places than that one autobiography.

I just checked Al Green's autobiography & he also mentions them playing often with Jr Walker at El Grotto in Battle Creek & definitely says they recorded for Zodiac & he was lead singer for the group. Could be inaccurate wishful reminiscing on Al's behalf though. He says the Creations members were himself, Lee Virgis, Palmer James, Curtis Rogers & Gene Mason, & that Virgis soon moved into a more managerial role. He also says that he came up with the Creations name for the group. This was about 1966 apparently. It wouldn't be the first time someone has embellished their own autobiography though. He says the sides were recorded at a studio on 28th St. in Grand Rapids, but suspiciously can't remember the names of the songs or any other details.

Very interesting. I suppose there's a chance that he played with them, though Curtis didn't seem to have any recollection of it. And, now that I think of it, Al Green was definitely absent from the picture of the Creations I was shown. That doesn't prove anything I suppose, but I'm inclined to believe that Al just wasn't on the scene that early.

• that creations single on zodiac is a nice one: "footsteps"/"a dream." according to "soul harmony singles 1960-1990," the members of the group at the time of the recording (august '67) were al green, curtis rodgers, palmer james, and gene mason. this book is not 100 percent authoritative, but the authors (jeff beckman, jim hunt, tom kline) do know quite a bit about their subject, to put it mildly. that said, for all i know they got their info on this one from green's autobio. so who knows?

a----: did mr. rodgers have any records for you?

m

that creations single on zodiac is a nice one: "footsteps"/"a dream."

woah, so have you[/b] heard/seen this? It exsists?!?
    I remember asking around about The Creations, and Lee Virgis said that they never recorded (at least with him anyway).