Tips for avoiding burn with 45 sets

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm not talking bout styrene, I know how that works. Some of the vinyl 45s have begun to get quick high end hiss sounds as/before the track starts......what tips do you fellow 45 DJs have for keeping 45s from burning? I've tried bumping the platter up with the power off til I hit a sound, then carefully bringing it to the start of the sound....various tone arm settings and heights.......I dunno maybe there is some magic thing I'm missing? A little help?

Comments

• id say just dont backcue as much as you need to. also follow the guidlines for tonearm height and weight specifications for the specific needle your using, both too much weight and too little weight can cause uneeded cue burn.

• follow the guidlines for tonearm height and weight specifications

i don't know about too light, never heard or experienced that, but you are probably just too heavy. pull the weights out away from the pivot..

• or you could make acetates. $40 buys you 3 or 4 songs per side on a 12". They last for awhile if you use the aforementioned light tonearm procedure.

• This will probably make some people cringe, but on a few of my 45s, I cue the song up to the first note, put a sticker down to mark where the song comes in, backcue the record exactly one full revolution, then scratch it about 20 times to make a nice audible hiss. This lets me know that the song starts in exactly one revolution and i won't have to keep scratching it where the actual music starts.

• This will probably make some people cringe, but on a few of my 45s, I cue the song up to the first note, put a sticker down to mark where the song comes in, backcue the record exactly one full revolution, then scratch it about 20 times to make a nice audible hiss. This lets me know that the song starts in exactly one revolution and i won't have to keep scratching it where the actual music starts.

fux sake yea i am cringing. no way in hell im doing that with my 45s.

so awesome!! a real dj ^^^^

• doin that with the Oliva Newton John Xanadu doubles you got, I hope

that's a dope tip, thanks m*ke

• i don't think it's the weight that causes the burn so much as the needle not being exactly perpendicular to the record...it's gotta be straight up and down; when it's at an angle, even a slight angle, you're fucked.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    This will probably make some people cringe, but on a few of my 45s, I cue the song up to the first note, put a sticker down to mark where the song comes in, backcue the record exactly one full revolution, then scratch it about 20 times to make a nice audible hiss. This lets me know that the song starts in exactly one revolution and i won't have to keep scratching it where the actual music starts.

cosign, sometimes its better to do it that way than to burn the beginning, especially when you handle some 200+euro-ish....

• Thanks for the feedback and I'll take your advice to heart.
    One thing though, I'm not going to make a hiss mark even if it is before the music......feels oh so wrong and I'm still hurting the record. As far as keeping the weight low and the needle as straight as possible, I try to (usually always with the low weight) but I'll make sure I've done so in the future before shows.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    This will probably make some people cringe, but on a few of my 45s, I cue the song up to the first note, put a sticker down to mark where the song comes in, backcue the record exactly one full revolution, then scratch it about 20 times to make a nice audible hiss. This lets me know that the song starts in exactly one revolution and i won't have to keep scratching it where the actual music starts.

I love it. Very clever idea. Although there is no way I'm doing that.

And K----,
    I will suggest getting better needles. The ones you had on Tuesday night lend themselves to create more cue burn. Check the Shure website and they have a chart that talks about each models record wear to skip ratio. Although it may be just a gimmick to get you to buy more expensive models. Who knows, worth checking out though.

• You sure the SC35s aren't a good match? I mean, I def agree with your concepts we had discussed but I'm not sure if SC35s are really the problem.