Weekend Finds

124»

Comments

• Hey have any of you come across any disco 10"s??

A place around here has 5 of them for sale (all from around 1976), but I can't listen to em and the titles sound pretty cheesy. I just thought it was weird to see them in that format.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I have a 10" acetate of "Melting Pot" cut by a DJ for his own use... but I think you're talking about legit releases?

• Yeah, I'll stop back by there and see what they are. They were all promos.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    care package from Hook up & Shingaling brought me these:

ALWAYS, BILLY[/b] "s/t" (Nayola) - Willie Mitchell produced modern soul
    BRYANT, LEON[/b] "s/t" (De-lite)
    BURCH, VERNON[/b] "Steppin' Out" (Chocolate City) 80'
    BURCH, VERNON[/b] "Playing Hard To Get "(SRI) 82'
    CAMERON, JIMMIE & VELLA[/b] "Song Painters" (Unlimited Gold)
    CARR, JERRY[/b]-This Must Be Heaven (Cherie) 81'
    DILLARD & BOYCE[/b] -We're In This Together (Mercury) - the Dillard in this group is funk legend Moses Dillard
    HUDSON, DAVID[/b] "To You Honey,Honey With Love" (Alston)
    JONES, WORNELL[/b]-s/t (Paradise) 79'
    MOORE, KEVIN[/b] "Rainmaker" (Chocolate City) - Keb Mo's first relese. dude was rockin the modern soul before he went KCRW bluesey
    ORIGINALS[/b] "Yesterday and Today" (Phase 2) 81'
    ORIGINALS[/b] "Come Away With Me" (Fantasy) 79'
    PHILLY CREAM[/b] "No Time Like Now" (WMOT) 80'
    SHADOW[/b] "Shadows In The Streets" (Elektra) - Produced by Leon Ware
    HAIR OST[/b] (Phillips) - french issue

Further finds

Bayete[/b] "Worlds Around the Sun" (Prestige
    Genie Brown[/b] "A Woman Alone" (ABC/ Dunhill)
    Delegation[/b] "The Promise Of Love" (Shadybrook)
    Dells[/b] "No Way Back" (Mercury) - still can't tell if this is a OST or just a regular album, but either way I like it
    Facts of Life[/b] "A Matter Of Fact" (Kayvette)
    Jackson 5[/b] "Maybe Tomorrow" (Motown) - why is it I have never found a clean copy until yesterday?
    Webster Lewis[/b] "Let Me Be The One" (Columbia) - minting up
    Blue Mitchell[/b] "Last Tango = Blues" (Mainstream)
    McCrary's[/b] "Just For You" (Capitol) - EdPowers HOLLA!
    Mandrake Memorial[/b] "S/T" (Poppy) - sitar psych
    Meadows[/b] "S/T" (Radio) - really funky modern osul from '81
    Mirah[/b] "You Think it's Like This, but It's Really Like That" (K)
    Mirah[/b] "Storageland" (Yo-yo) - filling p on my indie real gangsta emo shit
    Sweet Inspirations[/b] "Sweet Sweet Soul" (Atlantic) - pretty funky for something advertised as sweet soul
    UNLV Jazz ensemble[/b] "Split Session" (Bean) - gift from Funky Example
    Betty Wright [/b] Danger High Voltage" (Alston)
    Betty Wright[/b] "S/T" (Epic) - '81 moder soul. Not as good as I hoped it would be

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

DILLARD & BOYCE[/b] -We're In This Together (Mercury) - the Dillard in this group is funk legend Moses Dillard
    MOORE, KEVIN[/b] "Rainmaker" (Chocolate City) - Keb Mo's first relese. dude was rockin the modern soul before he went KCRW bluesey

Further finds

Dells[/b] "No Way Back" (Mercury) - still can't tell if this is a OST or just a regular album, but either way I like it
    Jackson 5[/b] "Maybe Tomorrow" (Motown) - why is it I have never found a clean copy until yesterday?
    Sweet Inspirations[/b] "Sweet Sweet Soul" (Atlantic) - pretty funky for something advertised as sweet soul
    Betty Wright[/b] "S/T" (Epic) - '81 moder soul. Not as good as I hoped it would be

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'll post a list later tonite. Scored a buncha LPs including a Jandek - Telegraph and Harlem River Drive

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Further finds

I've missed you

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

What's up with this? Looks awesome!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Which Jandek did you find? I just ordered that documentary on him, should be interesting.

• Also: Boston Strutters Alert:[/b]
    In Your Ear on Comm Ave just put out an OG of Roy Ayers "He's Coming" for $25...the cover is thrashed (radio copy), but the white label promo vinyl is super-clean! I woulda grabbed it, but I already got one...

I just called and dude told me someone in Pennsylvania already has it on hold and has someone going into get it for him...WACK!..WHO IS IT! ive been after this one for a while and i live 25 minutes south of Boston so i deserve it more

....another record falls victim to the "soulstrut factor" (TM)...

I found a copy at skippy whites that was under a huge pile of crap on the main floor for 8 dollars about 2-3 years back. i thought skippy was gonna front on me. but he was slippin. he was in a hurry cause he had to feed the meter. anyone been out to the JP skippy white's lately?? the one and only time i have been out there i scored alot of 45's for a quarter each. endeavors on stop, chuck carbo, alot of jb's stuff. also a sealed stezo before the reissue was everywhere.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Which Jandek did you find? I just ordered that documentary on him, should be interesting.

I think it's called "Telegraph" from 1986. Don't have it in front of me, but it has a blue label with Corwood Industries and the tracks in silver.

• Options

A double if you can belive it.

Marcia Griffiths - You're No Good (Studio 1 blank)

K in Canada.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    How's that Johnny Mayes?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, radd cover! I didn't know Wolf had records on Crown. Is it different stuff than his Chess records, or what?

• nice finds...this cover was shot in Austin, not too far from the
    casa....give it a real listen...theres some nice samplable material.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I found a copy at skippy whites that was under a huge pile of crap on the main floor for 8 dollars about 2-3 years back. i thought skippy was gonna front on me. but he was slippin. he was in a hurry cause he had to feed the meter. anyone been out to the JP skippy white's lately?? the one and only time i have been out there i scored alot of 45's for a quarter each. endeavors on stop, chuck carbo, alot of jb's stuff. also a sealed stezo before the reissue was everywhere.

It's closed. Or actually, moved to Egleston Square. Maybe some shit popped up from the move, but I went in there last summer and went through every box under the bins, all the shelves, etc, and came out with exactly 1 thing for my time, a double of the Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll 12"....yawn. Big waste of time. Someone picked that place clean. Worst of all, were all the dope sleeves I found without LP's in them, including The Counts, "What's Up Front" and the Bobby Moore & the Rhythm Aces LP. They didn't even have any 45's at all. (well, I asked if there were any, and he was like, "right there," and pointed at two 7" sitting in a little tray at the front of a record bin...I was like, "ummm..any more?" and got a nasty look and a slow headshake for an answer)

I don't think it would really be worth hitting the Egleston spot, my friend helped them move and said he sent most of the older stuff to Central Sq. He got some dope 70's gospel LP's for helping out, though.

Who can tell me what the New Orleans Skippy White's is like? I've heard he may be closing the Boston/Cambridge spots, and moving down there. Here's hoping he has an "All 45's $1" sale before he closes...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i hit that skippy whites in new orleans the first day i was in that town on my trip. nice english guy running the spot. he sold me can i be your squeeze, from this day on and mary jane hooper and kelee patterson LP for $$10

oh yeah, REAL nice english guy. haha

they never seemed to be getting a high volume of records...especially 45s.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i hit that skippy whites in new orleans the first day i was in that town on my trip. nice english guy running the spot. he sold me can i be your squeeze, from this day on and mary jane hooper and kelee patterson LP for $$10

oh yeah, REAL nice english guy. haha

they never seemed to be getting a high volume of records...especially 45s.

you would be speaking of Chris.

The Skippy's down here closed about seven months ago. Haven't heard anything about Skippy himself moving down here and the rumour is that he kind of neglected the shop down here... never sent any stuff down. Chris is still around here somewhere, bump into him from time to time.

They seriously never would get vinyl in that shop. There were a lot of politics b.w. Skippy NO and the Magic Bus shop which was two doors down that time... basically your typical one guy used to work for the other, opened up competitive shop nearby.. blah blah blah... small town/small town politics, y'know?

Damn... i would've paid $20 for all those.

• What free jazz lp?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Dope! (so jealous right now)