24-hour record stores

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
do such things exist? or at least ones open till like, 2 in the morning? that would be a dream come true for me, 1-5/6/7/8 am is my afternoon these days

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

• Just clownin'.

• Just clownin'.

Weird!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

Just clownin'.

good tip, but lets not forget about this store:

• Just clownin'.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

Just clownin'.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    we actually have a shop here thats called vinylbaren which means vinylbar... its a bar and a recordstore in one. open til pretty late! im sure there must be some similiar stores in the us.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Aren't a couple of the NYC spots open until like 1 AM? I could swear I was digging after midnight in the Village a couple of years ago. One near me used to be open until 11 PM, and they got so much business from me because they were the only place open past 9 in a neighborhood I was always in.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    we actually have a shop here thats called vinylbaren which means vinylbar... its a bar and a recordstore in one. open til pretty late! im sure there must be some similiar stores in the us.

That's cool. Halcyon(Brooklyn) used to be a cafe/bar/record store.

My homie and I would be drunk/high at 3:35 am wishin' for a WREKA STO to be open.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    There used to be a store open I think 24/7 on the Vegas strip that was used CDs/Video/and probably some LPs a ways back. It was open when I lived there in '96, a friend used to work there but I forgot the name.

Cheapo/Applause in Minneapolis St Paul used to be open til midnight, and I think still are.

Didn't the Hollywood Tower used to be open late too?

• There is/was a store by Tompkins Square Park in the Lower East Side that was open 24 hours. Mostly shitty records but I did get a $15 copy of the Crazy World of Arthur Brown there a few years ago at about 4AM.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    There used to be a store open I think 24/7 on the Vegas strip that was used CDs/Video/and probably some LPs a ways back. It was open when I lived there in '96, a friend used to work there but I forgot the name.

Odyssey Records? Bought up the Poor Righteous catalog on CD when I was in Vegas one time @ 3 in the morning on a weekday...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

there's a place in athens, ga, that's open late. it's a store that's outside of a small club/concert venue, so i guess people can go record shopping between bands or something. i forgot the name completely, it's been awhile since i've been there.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

there's a place in athens, ga, that's open late. it's a store that's outside of a small club/concert venue, so i guess people can go record shopping between bands or something. i forgot the name completely, it's been awhile since i've been there.

Next door to the 40 Watt? I used to go in sometimes after a concert before driving back to ATL... If it's the same store, I think the guy who ran it also used to have a table @ the monthly (?) ATL record show/convention...

• there's a place in athens, ga, that's open late. it's a store that's outside of a small club/concert venue, so i guess people can go record shopping between bands or something. i forgot the name completely, it's been awhile since i've been there.

Low Yo Yo Stuff. Next to the 40 Watt. That place has one highest heat to filler ratios of any store I've been to. Small but packed.

http://www.lowyoyostuff.com/intro.htm

• I made a movie about a 24 hour yard sale held by a couple of deaf people in LA that happened to take place on September 11. They had records (true story).

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    after a night of drinking wouldn't you be concerned about your judgement? i certainly would. 24 hour record store=a ton of shit you regret buying.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    ...as if our habits weren't bad enough.

...but seriously, i wish almost everything was open 24 hours. but that might require the use of robots.

NO

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    Halcyon(Brooklyn) used to be a cafe/bar/record store.

Miss that place...nothing has really stepped in to replace it either.
    Its nice to be able to eat/drink/buy records/hear djs/mcs/bands all under one roof.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Halcyon(Brooklyn) used to be a cafe/bar/record store.

Miss that place...nothing has really stepped in to replace it either.
    Its nice to be able to eat/drink/buy records/hear djs/mcs/bands all under one roof.

Maybe GOOD Records will start sell bagels/smoothies/lattes!

• I made a movie about a 24 hour yard sale held by a couple of deaf people in LA that happened to take place on September 11. They had records (true story).
    Seriously? It was a documentary? More details plaese.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Odyssey Records? Bought up the Poor Righteous catalog on CD when I was in Vegas one time @ 3 in the morning on a weekday...

That's it! My buddy Mikel worked there, and I bet the whole staff was weeded out 24/7! I just remember buyng clearance VHS tapes(weird stuff too...Vegas was great for rare video in the late 90s, probably rare LPs too, but I was off the stuff at that time) at about 4am after walking around stoned and going to some strip club nearby where you brought your own beer! Classy!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Low Yo Yo Stuff. Next to the 40 Watt. That place has one highest heat to filler ratios of any store I've been to. Small but packed.

http://www.lowyoyostuff.com/intro.htm
    SAY WERD!! I need to hit this spot up ASAP!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    can you imagine how bad a 24 hour record store would smell

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    can you imagine how bad a 24 hour record store would smell
    Nauseating