Bob Dylan Live @ The Gaslight 1962 (Starbucks Rel)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
So my man hit me up and was liek "Check the jawns that they sell at Starbucks" so I looked it up. It's called "Live @ The Gaslight 1962" and it looks pretty interesting.Anyone heard it? Anyone have it? I looked on Soulseek and it's a no go.Also, Bob put this out as an exclusive to Starbucks and he actually caught a lot of flack from this. Supposedly HMV in Canada has banned sales of all Dylan albums in all their stores. Is this true?Trying to build on my Dylan steez. Moms would be proud.

Comments

• I work for starbucks... haven't heard it though. I could certainly steal a copy and let you know though. My roomate's a big Dylan fan so I'm surprised he hasn't got a copy already.

Oh... and I think (but I'm not 100% certain) that Dylan didn't really have a say in the release going to starbucks exclusively. It was more the label's decision.

Lots of people jumping on the starbucks music bandwagon though...

Which actually brings me to an irritating story. I sampled "I Wrote A Simple Song" by Billy Preston off the 45 for it a while back, and made a pretty bangin' track out of it. NOW the OG song is featured on a music tape we play at work, and my co-workers are like "Yo that's from that song you made right!?!?".

Having your sample sources playing in starbucks =

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I bought the CD last night whilst I bought a small apple cider. I haven't heard the whole thing yet (day off from work today), but the 4-5 songs I HAVE heard are interesting for their rudimentary state. Dylan's songs are looser - for example, Hard Rain isn't woven machine-gun-tight yet and takes gaps between lines and verses.
    The crowd participation, while not as ardent in support or detraction as in, say, 1966, is evidence of Dylan's small-but-burgeoning fan base, which is in the process of solidifying.
    Of note for audiophiles: the individual manning the recorder turned off the device between songs, (perhaps to conserve tape), and the album is culled (although not distractingly so) from two separate source tapes.
    More when I've finished listening - I've got another version of "Moonshiner" to get to. (!)