De-warping in oven?

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
someone on here had a dewarping method with the oven, but all i remember about it is preheating to 150. how long do you keep it in? i'm finally gonna try this. thanks.

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

someone on here had a dewarping method with the oven, but all i remember about it is preheating to 150. how long do you keep it in? i'm finally gonna try this. thanks.

no. not to be rude, but no. wont work,(effectively at least).

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    paging fatback...

paging fatback...

paging fatback...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

no. not to be rude, but no. wont work,(effectively at least).

the person who posted it (can't remember who) swore by it, i didn't just pull this out of nowhere. don't worry, i'm gonna start with stuff i don't really care about.

• yes, it works if you do it correctly. Fatback had the method down.

This subject should be featured in an FAQ or something, it comes up too often.

• Fatback knows the ways of the oven.

yes, it works if you do it correctly. Fatback had the method down.

thanks. yeah, faq would be helpful on that.

i remember preheat to 150, and when you take out the record, before you take it out from between the two plates of glass, you let it sit until cooled. i just don't remember how long to keep it in the oven (for 45s). looks like fatback isn't online right now. anyone remember?

• I know this works well on LPs but I'm not sure of it's effectiveness on 45s.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    yes, it works if you do it correctly. Fatback had the method down.

thanks. yeah, faq would be helpful on that.

i remember preheat to 150, and when you take out the record, before you take it out from between the two plates of glass, you let it sit until cooled. i just don't remember how long to keep it in the oven (for 45s). looks like fatback isn't online right now. anyone remember?

I don't think it's rocket science. Throw some trash LPs in the sun and let them warp a bit and then experiment.

• fuck the oven. maybe some kid on here with mutant ninja skills can do it. but chances are you will not do it right. waaaay too many negative factors. heat damage is almost certain.

i've been trying my luck with 2 sheets of 1/2 inch plate glass and a heater pad. haven't gotten it down pat yet.

• i worked the oven method.ten minutes inside. let it cool down with even weight on the glass for an hour.

the oven method works for dished records and vary gradually warped records
    small, focused warps will come out and the vinyl will get flat, but the grooves will be all fucked up, so it dont work.

• Didn't work for me.
    I remember trying it out on a shit record last year when the thread first popped up.

It smooshed the grooves.....

~Crates

• Don't forget...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i've posted this several times. was it that long ago? is it gone?

i've posted this several times. was it that long ago? is it gone?

no it wasn't too long ago, several months maybe. just couldn't find it. have you been successful with 45s?

only if the label area is not raised. so not really.

only if the label is not raised. so not really.

ok, thanks for the info. sorry for the repetitive question.

now, what kind of mixer should i get?

just playin.

no problem. i was just checking.

i'm looking for the word file i saved for this...

First thing is to practice with some records that you don???t care about. Find some warped lps at the thrift and practice.

The kind of warp is important. Ones that are bowled work best. See tripledoudle's post above too.)

Use two thick pieces of glass.

Preheat oven to 150. You should be able to take the glass out with your bare hands. Otherwise it???s too hot.

Then, make sure you clean the record first.

Put between glass and into oven for 20 minutes.

When you take it out, keep the record between the glass. Set on a flat surface to cool. Stack some heavy books on top. I let it cool for an hour.

You may have to repeat this 3 times. If after three times, it???s not unwarped, forget about it.

If you get the record too hot, it will get out of round and you???ll see the tonearm wobble like those cheap ass Jamaican 45s.

The key, like I said, is to practice with some worthless records.

Don???t throw your Bwana in the oven on the first try.

After I practiced, I have unwarped several expensive records sussessfully. The only ones I have fucked up have been becuase I forgot they were in the oven. So use a timer!

Didn't work for me.
    I remember trying it out on a shit record last year when the thread first popped up.

It smooshed the grooves.....

~Crates

yeah, you were way too hot.

• make sure you clean the oven first.

• fuck the oven.

Two words - Snack Warmer

You heard it here first dawg.

SONIC